Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It also, if they chose allows them to make an FFXI-2 if they wanted to continue from there. They've successfully wrapped up the story here and could build a new MMO off the setting, considering they left plenty of the game world relatively untouched. Most of the Far East, the Mithran homeland, etc...and could easily use a post-storyline three nations, etc. updated for a generation or so of change. Whenever FFXI finally winds down in it's totality.

I'd play an FFXI where the starting jobs were things like SAM and NIN vs. WAR or THF, etc. etc. set in a Vana'dielian-style Eastern setting.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    True knowing does make a difference some. But idk I think a large part of people staying was they were too busy with the current time sinks lol. I'm sure if they release small stuff every several months a game population not too much smaller than what we've had recently up until people started coming back for RoV will stay for a bit slowly but surely dying away
    well in the time period you describe, my LS of 2 years+ broke and over half the members quit the game altogether, as it became clear wotg was a bust, and that was with believing eventually there'd be more substantial content (new zones etc)

now with knowing no more zones, story, or hnm type fights, we see for the first time posters on like ffxiah saying why bother with Aeonics or REM upgrade, just to do the same fights slightly faster? That's a mentality i haven't seen before. Sure there could be a new bc here and there, but they're called minor updates for a reason

So my bet is at least 50% reduction in subs by march and then add to that the console players, then what's left will more slowly dwindle. The biggest thing SE can do, if they actually cared about the game and customers, to offset this somewhat is lower fee and server merge, not a 6 man bc every 3 months

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Small content updates with small things like HTB, UNM and stuff like that is cool and everything, but that will only manage to prolong an unavoidable end.
    Which, don't get me wrong, is still waaay better than seeing the game "die" after november.

We have to see the quality and frequency of these small content patches, time will tell, I wanna be optimist for now.
    I do agree with steellord on one thing though, SE hasn't been clear, upfront or honest on all of this matter.
    If anything they've been confusing. Maybe with good intentions I dunno, but the result is the same.
    i don't know, if minor updates is all i'd actually prefer some finality to it. If the quests for REMA just weren't ready in time, fine, add them next month, but new small bc with sidegrades, i'd prefer to wrap things up now alongside RoV

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    Me too. One of the biggest joys in an MMORPG for me is that the world is ever expanding and you get new stories along the way. Content like battle systems is good i guess, but the appeal to me had always been these systems contextualized within the story. It's for this reason the HTBs never really appealed to me. They're entirely non-canon battles. Theres no motivation in it for me. Even the RoEs weren't so bad in that they added a minor story to it. But its mostly fluff afaict. So for people like me, the prospect of no future story is quite the doomsday statement to make, and kills any reason for me to continue once its done.

But I am happy that they are continuing small updates nonetheless. I'd probably not be playing but I can appreciate that they're still doing this for those who are. The balance changes will be nice to observe. I've been pleasantly surprised by their treatment of pet jobs this past year.

Everything considered, from the statements Matsui has been making it seems clear that the decision to kill support and shift away from the PC version of the game was a call from higher ups. I'd imagine the devs would be happy to make new content for XI if they were given the choice. Even though they weren't given much time to work on RoV, their portrayal of the Far East through Reisenjima certainly did not disappoint. The bamboo trees, stone walls and structures.. and even the visual effects when you zone into the Shrine were all meticulously crafted.

What I'm most interested in knowing now is how much of the mobile app version is in the hands of Nexon. It seems like the game itself will be run by Nexon, but the FFXI dev team, or whats left of it by the time it comes out, still supervises on "planning, how the game works, lore, and editorial supervision." (quote from here). Not to be overly optimistic, but if that version of FFXI picks up well, we might be able to see additional new expansion content there. But that will also depend on how faithful it is to this game, and whether existing gamers will enjoy that experience. Sadly theres still so little info about it.. and based on the recent GamerEscape interview, it'd seem to suggest the mobile version is still quite far away
    meh even if new content, i would never play a game in a serious way on a mobile. This isn't playing tetris on a gameboy as a kid while waiting for the doctor

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth View Post
    I find it kind of bittersweet here, but it's also pretty darn gutsy.

How many MMOs effectively say "game over" vs. just shutting down at some point? FFXIV obviously doomsdayed the game, but I can't think of any other MMO that wrapped up an expansion and said "OK, we're done here with the big stuff. You're awesome, enjoy playing the rest of the content and we'll throw in some new bits and pieces to let you enjoy the monster-hunting parts of the game."
    well how many companies have 2 mmo?

it's gutsy only if you don't believe the execs wanted to urge ppl over to a diff game, with a healthy mix of cost cutting thrown in

what else were they going to do, go 6 months with no updates, due to these cost cuts, before they announce what everyone can see, that the game is dead? Yeah that will go over well.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i used to be of a similar view about mobile games. then I started playing FFRK and that really changed my perception of mobile games as a whole. True they are meant to be easy to pick up from the get go, but its just as easy to play a bit more hardcore if you wanted. I've been playing that for 6 months now and its the most fun I've had playing on my phone. At times I've just done nothing but lie on my bed and play that game for 2 hours on end. It got to the point where I'd prefer to play that than FFXIV when both had new content. And with all the time I've put into it I didn't mind spending money on it.

From that point i felt like XI on mobile was really on to something. A freemium model could bring the much needed critical mass to make the game feel alive, and keep the game afloat. But the new XI would need to be accessible to new players.

It kinda hurts to know, but it really wouldn't matter if we (existing players) don't play the mobile version, because 1) for now we can still play the PC version, and are still paying for it, and 2) theres a bigger market to tap into on mobile. We're talking millions of people with smartphones. As a market they're far more fickle, but also far easier to reach out to and capture.

Take FFRK as a good example. Its global version recently reached 2million downloads. If say only 500k of those 2 million downloads are still playing, and we apply 80:20 principle in thinking only 20% of the players are willing to spend on the game, thats 100k players. If each of them only do the 100gem draw on banners (theres approx 4+ of those each month, and each costs about $1), thats an easy $400k revenue alone. But there are those who don't mind spending much more to get ahead of the game (tho its been designed well so you can never pay to win), and thats where the bulk of revenue comes from.

Make no mistake, when FFXI hits mobile, it will reach far more players than it does now. Which is not a bad thing at all.

..as for having 2 mmos. Quite a few did have that. But most were sequels of the same game. EQ2, Lineage 2, RO2, Ultima Online 2, Runescape 2. You see the pattern. The games are for the most part so similar that they kinda directly compete with themselves. I'm not so sure this applies very well to XI and XIV, cos XIV is far closer to WoW, and lots of people who play XI would never touch the new-school MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by steellord View Post

it's gutsy only if you don't believe the execs wanted to urge ppl over to a diff game, with a healthy mix of cost cutting thrown in

what else were they going to do, go 6 months with no updates, due to these cost cuts, before they announce what everyone can see, that the game is dead? Yeah that will go over well.
    Everquest, notably. EQ1 and EQ2 are still running. NCSoft has multiple MMOs as well.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by steellord View Post
    SE technically has at least 3, don't forget Dragon Quest.
    Sony had multiple MMOs going (Everquest, Everquest2, Vanguard, and something else I forgot).
    NC soft has a plethora of ongoing MMOs
    Gameforge in europe has several ongoing MMOs.

If you're talking about "multiple P2P MMOs" then the answer is nobody I'm afraid, only SE with FFXI and FFXIV.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

i used to be of a similar view about mobile games. then I started playing FFRK and that really changed my perception of mobile games as a whole. True they are meant to be easy to pick up from the get go, but its just as easy to play a bit more hardcore if you wanted. I've been playing that for 6 months now and its the most fun I've had playing on my phone. At times I've just done nothing but lie on my bed and play that game for 2 hours on end. It got to the point where I'd prefer to play that than FFXIV when both had new content. And with all the time I've put into it I didn't mind spending money on it.

From that point i felt like XI on mobile was really on to something. A freemium model could bring the much needed critical mass to make the game feel alive, and keep the game afloat. But the new XI would need to be accessible to new players.

It kinda hurts to know, but it really wouldn't matter if we (existing players) don't play the mobile version, because 1) for now we can still play the PC version, and are still paying for it, and 2) theres a bigger market to tap into on mobile. We're talking millions of people with smartphones. As a market they're far more fickle, but also far easier to reach out to and capture.

Take FFRK as a good example. Its global version recently reached 2million downloads. If say only 500k of those 2 million downloads are still playing, and we apply 80:20 principle in thinking only 20% of the players are willing to spend on the game, thats 100k players. If each of them only do the 100gem draw on banners (theres approx 4+ of those each month, and each costs about $1), thats an easy $400k revenue alone. But there are those who don't mind spending much more to get ahead of the game (tho its been designed well so you can never pay to win), and thats where the bulk of revenue comes from.

Make no mistake, when FFXI hits mobile, it will reach far more players than it does now. Which is not a bad thing at all.

..as for having 2 mmos. Quite a few did have that. But most were sequels of the same game. EQ2, Lineage 2, RO2, Ultima Online 2, Runescape 2. You see the pattern. The games are for the most part so similar that they kinda directly compete with themselves. I'm not so sure this applies very well to XI and XIV, cos XIV is far closer to WoW, and lots of people who play XI would never touch the new-school MMOs.
    I felt the same until RK as well. Only thing is, I have yet to find another mobile game that I enjoy like RK lol. Another difference though, I don't play RK hardcore and I don't really see how you can unless you splurge on stamina and spam dungeons to farm orbs.. Otherwise there are limits to what you can do as far as content. I just can't see playing a mobile game like I would an MMO, its just completely different. It doesn't seem they are aiming for that type of atmosphere either though, they want people to play in short bursts.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The good thing is that FFRK isn't designed around hardcores but they do exist. And for them to really excel, they need to either be very lucky or spend a lot of money on relics and stamina. The hardcores in that game are the people with multiple 7* relics in different realms and something stupid like rank4 meteor. And relic hoarders.

I expect mobile FFXI to be a lot simpler and the gameplay will change substantially. I don't think they want people to play for long hours on that FFXI either and will probably tweak content accordingly. Cos if you can't feel successful playing for a short while then you're likely to just stop completely.. And that wouldn't work

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I thought mobile FFXI was literally not going to be FFXI? I thought it was going to be an FFXI-themed game that used a similar art style / lore / etc. but was otherwise unrelated.

Like, imagine any other freemium RPG game with an FFXI skin on it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I thought mobile FFXI was literally not going to be FFXI? I thought it was going to be an FFXI-themed game that used a similar art style / lore / etc. but was otherwise unrelated.
    I've read it more as being essentially a remake of the game using the same lore, quest/mission lines, NPCs, and so on. They mention starting with content up to CoP, and eventually implementing content through Rhapsodies...so it makes me think that part of the game is going to be largely the same. Actual gameplay and mechanics will probably be quite different.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post

Like, imagine any other freemium RPG game with an FFXI skin on it.
    there are 2 mobile games.

the one we're referring to will actually be called FFXI and essentially be the same game with tweaks to gameplay mechanics

the other one, which is exactly like what you're referring to, is already out in Japan and not currently planned for global release.

its cute and all but it ain't a real MMO.. or MMM

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I couldn't get into that at all tbh, maybe because its all in JP but it just didn't seem fun to me for some reason.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i played it a little for nostalgia sake and it was fun for a while but the game did seem to somehow cheapen Vana'diel to me. RK had the opposite effect for me.. and I'm thinking it has much to do with the gameplay and gatcha system. In FFGM, abilities are tied to rare weapons and that means its easier to kinda buy your way into being strong rather than earn it. Or apparently, you can keep rerolling until your first weapon is really good.

definitely hoping XI mobile is nothing like that

I really don't think we should get our hopes up for any more expansions.

Mainly because of the mobile port/remake.
    Because SE has decided to go with that (I'd be saying the same thing if they were making a PS4 offline game), they'd want to have the story finished.

And you don't get much more finished than Rhapsodies.
    (Which also blocks the addition of any new expansion girls.)
    Spoiler: show
    And after Mikaboshi, there's not much ground to tread.

Basically: they want a whole story before they port the game "for the mass market". So the game can be "complete".
    So hoping to get a new expansion is pretty much chasing the dragon.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

i don't think anyone is suggesting anymore expansions in the PC version. the possibility of it hitting the mobile version, while low, is still a possibility. after all, they are making new content specific for that version, and would have development tools to play with.

it would ultimately depend on how well the mobile version does and how fast it puts out content. if that version manages to exhaust of content to repurpose / port over, which probably won't happen in the first couple of years, they'd need to find new ways to retain players.. by creating new content that would interest players. They won't exactly have a 14 year lead time on content since the game is supposedly starting with CoP, and updates will probably be much quicker.

I actually think what RoV has essentially done is written the end of the FFXI story, but in such a way that there is still room to write new stories between now and the future as we know in RoV. The only thing is that we know nobody will be a bigger ultimate villian than you-know-who, so those stories will not be as grand in scale.. but can nonetheless be pretty interesting.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i don't think anyone is suggesting anymore expansions in the PC version. the possibility of it hitting the mobile version, while low, is still a possibility. after all, they are making new content specific for that version, and would have development tools to play with.

it would ultimately depend on how well the mobile version does and how fast it puts out content. if that version manages to exhaust of content to repurpose / port over, which probably won't happen in the first couple of years, they'd need to find new ways to retain players.. by creating new content that would interest players. They won't exactly have a 14 year lead time on content since the game is supposedly starting with CoP, and updates will probably be much quicker.

I actually think what RoV has essentially done is written the end of the FFXI story, but in such a way that there is still room to write new stories between now and the future as we know in RoV. The only thing is that we know nobody will be a bigger ultimate villian than you-know-who, so those stories will not be as grand in scale.. but can nonetheless be pretty interesting.
    i dont have a problem with it being on mobile. those games can be very fun. the problem i have is that I am too attached to my 12-13 year old char... its like leaving a child behind or so. restarting from new just wouldnt feel the same ._.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    SE technically has at least 3, don't forget Dragon Quest.
    Sony had multiple MMOs going (Everquest, Everquest2, Vanguard, and something else I forgot).
    NC soft has a plethora of ongoing MMOs
    Gameforge in europe has several ongoing MMOs.

If you're talking about "multiple P2P MMOs" then the answer is nobody I'm afraid, only SE with FFXI and FFXIV.
    that was my point, they figure no one will pay for two mmo, so shove their customers from the older one into the new

the other factor is investing in new content on pc vs the mobile app. They could do both for sure, but diminishing returns and all - none will pay for both versions

the idea that they need to keep fees just to keep the servers up, with no new content to speak of, is so laughable when considering all the F2P games out there, and some have even been around longer and with fewer players. SE is just being greedy whores here by the time march rolls around

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

i'm seriously laughing just thinking of a game that once induced 12hr lotto pops and all night hnm fights (like the first PW) to the point people got physically sick, being phased into a phone game for jp players riding the subway...

the mobile version will by necessity be nothing like the ff11 i remember. They should just call it a different game seriously

if i wanted to play still when the official servers shut down, it would be on private servers on pc