Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    They never said end of support, only end of "major patch updates" which most people thought it meant any kind of content. Originally it was thought we would only get bug fixes and balance adjustments. Now they are saying they are going to add more content and stuff and its confusing. I'm guessing they changed their mind along the way, it didn't do much for the damage already done but at least those who want to continue have things they can look forward to.
    I have to wonder if their definition of "major content updates" ends up being just storyline/cutscene related and actual expansions. While I don't imagine it takes a ton of manpower to put in new high tier battlefield I wouldn't exactly call that minor. Minor's always brought to my mind just item adjustments, tooltips, and number balancing on abilities or whatnot. Just maintenance shit to show you haven't completely forgotten on something.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kind of sounds almost like they going back to the wotg/toau days with little bits of content a couple of times a year

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    Kind of sounds almost like they going back to the wotg/toau days with little bits of content a couple of times a year
    ecxept we wont see anything new graphic related no armor sets enemys etc. just reskins

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

We had the reskins and and such for a long time....not like it will be anything new to deal with. I would be happy with just new tier battle stuff and group things to do.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    ecxept we wont see anything new graphic related no armor sets enemys etc. just reskins
    So basically like the time after they finished wotg/toau until abyssea?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Abyssea came out before WotG finished.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think it mostly means no new areas or completely new systems. i think they will add to existing systems as the base is already there. Like monstrosity. Im sure it wont be too hard to add various species to it

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viertel View Post
    I have to wonder if their definition of "major content updates" ends up being just storyline/cutscene related and actual expansions. While I don't imagine it takes a ton of manpower to put in new high tier battlefield I wouldn't exactly call that minor. Minor's always brought to my mind just item adjustments, tooltips, and number balancing on abilities or whatnot. Just maintenance shit to show you haven't completely forgotten on something.
    if that's true, it also makes their decision more understandable (though the conveying of it very poor), both from a resources and full monthly fee standpoint

but i still think once the console support is dropped in march, there should be a lower fee and server merges. Ultimately a 119 version of old bcnm here and there isn't enough to distinguish it from offline games. I just don't buy the line about full fee to "keep the servers open," as if this game is their only product and didn't totally fund other products (like 14). Servers are dirt cheap and if EQ can manage...

so i'm still torn between thinking they *want* to kill off the game, and they want to eek out a little more $. What they don't want to do is be honest and leave on good terms with the customers

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    So basically like the time after they finished wotg/toau until abyssea?
    The difference between then and now is is this is indefinite. No one knew at start-mid wotg there would be nothing worthwhile coming. Now we're sure of it

if aeonics or REM upgrade or the new zone are worth a damn, it could inject about a year of lifeline into the game, well for pc players. If not, only a few hardcores will remain

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by steellord View Post
    The difference between then and now is is this is indefinite. No one knew at start-mid wotg there would be nothing worthwhile coming. Now we're sure of it

if aeonics or REM upgrade or the new zone are worth a damn, it could inject about a year of lifeline into the game, well for pc players. If not, only a few hardcores will remain
    True knowing does make a difference some. But idk I think a large part of people staying was they were too busy with the current time sinks lol. I'm sure if they release small stuff every several months a game population not too much smaller than what we've had recently up until people started coming back for RoV will stay for a bit slowly but surely dying away

Campaign
    BG Level

Small content updates with small things like HTB, UNM and stuff like that is cool and everything, but that will only manage to prolong an unavoidable end.
    Which, don't get me wrong, is still waaay better than seeing the game "die" after november.

We have to see the quality and frequency of these small content patches, time will tell, I wanna be optimist for now.
    I do agree with steellord on one thing though, SE hasn't been clear, upfront or honest on all of this matter.
    If anything they've been confusing. Maybe with good intentions I dunno, but the result is the same.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

To me the perspective of no new missions is actually a dealbreaker.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Me too. One of the biggest joys in an MMORPG for me is that the world is ever expanding and you get new stories along the way. Content like battle systems is good i guess, but the appeal to me had always been these systems contextualized within the story. It's for this reason the HTBs never really appealed to me. They're entirely non-canon battles. Theres no motivation in it for me. Even the RoEs weren't so bad in that they added a minor story to it. But its mostly fluff afaict. So for people like me, the prospect of no future story is quite the doomsday statement to make, and kills any reason for me to continue once its done.

But I am happy that they are continuing small updates nonetheless. I'd probably not be playing but I can appreciate that they're still doing this for those who are. The balance changes will be nice to observe. I've been pleasantly surprised by their treatment of pet jobs this past year.

Everything considered, from the statements Matsui has been making it seems clear that the decision to kill support and shift away from the PC version of the game was a call from higher ups. I'd imagine the devs would be happy to make new content for XI if they were given the choice. Even though they weren't given much time to work on RoV, their portrayal of the Far East through Reisenjima certainly did not disappoint. The bamboo trees, stone walls and structures.. and even the visual effects when you zone into the Shrine were all meticulously crafted.

What I'm most interested in knowing now is how much of the mobile app version is in the hands of Nexon. It seems like the game itself will be run by Nexon, but the FFXI dev team, or whats left of it by the time it comes out, still supervises on "planning, how the game works, lore, and editorial supervision." (quote from here). Not to be overly optimistic, but if that version of FFXI picks up well, we might be able to see additional new expansion content there. But that will also depend on how faithful it is to this game, and whether existing gamers will enjoy that experience. Sadly theres still so little info about it.. and based on the recent GamerEscape interview, it'd seem to suggest the mobile version is still quite far away

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Will that FFXI remake be global or jp only like GM? Cause if it's jp only... *shakes fist*

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    the prospect of no future story is quite the doomsday statement to make, and kills any reason for me to continue once its done.
    You say that, and many other people say that and (over)reacted when the original statement was made in march.
    I have no reasons not to believe people like you.
    Yet I think about the past, about WotG. Wasn't it said that WotG would have been the "last expansion" for FFXI? Yet I don't remember as many "doomsday" reactions from people (talking about before abyssea and miniexps).
    This leads me to think that the "no more mission content" surely is an important aspect, but there has to be more than that.

their portrayal of the Far East through Reisenjima certainly did not disappoint. The bamboo trees, stone walls and structures.. and even the visual effects when you zone into the Shrine were all meticulously crafted.
    It's absolutely outstanding.
    Way beyond my expectations.
    Makes me happy but sad at the same time because I can't avoid to think what a full far-eastern based expansion would have been... (it's been my most desired/dreamed expansion since the beginning of the game )

Regarding the Nexon thing, call me an ungrateful douche, but I'd rather see an offline version of FFXI than playing a mobile phone version of FFXI...

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It was just people being doomsayers, no one believed them. Now it's SE statement. That's the difference.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    You say that, and many other people say that and (over)reacted when the original statement was made in march.
    I have no reasons not to believe people like you.
    Yet I think about the past, about WotG. Wasn't it said that WotG would have been the "last expansion" for FFXI? Yet I don't remember as many "doomsday" reactions from people (talking about before abyssea and miniexps).
    This leads me to think that the "no more mission content" surely is an important aspect, but there has to be more than that.

It's absolutely outstanding.
    Way beyond my expectations.
    Makes me happy but sad at the same time because I can't avoid to think what a full far-eastern based expansion would have been... (it's been my most desired/dreamed expansion since the beginning of the game )

Regarding the Nexon thing, call me an ungrateful douche, but I'd rather see an offline version of FFXI than playing a mobile phone version of FFXI...
    i think it was the fact that it was an official statement that theres no expansions anymore that really did it. That and the fact that they held a press con for it. That showed they were serious. During WotG days it was mainly people speculating.. and we thought there wouldn't be a new expansion simply because they never said anything about it and it had been so long.

I liked the Far East thing because it gave us a taste of what could have been.. and maybe thats for the best.. for now. It gives us something to look forward to or maybe even think about. It doesn't provide the same kind of closure as if they gave us a Far East expansion. But they did try their best - they fixed the beetle, and we finally got to see Altana and Phoenix. Lore-wise theres not much else I'd have wanted.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I could still see them adding minor quests with some storylines

I find it kind of bittersweet here, but it's also pretty darn gutsy.

How many MMOs effectively say "game over" vs. just shutting down at some point? FFXIV obviously doomsdayed the game, but I can't think of any other MMO that wrapped up an expansion and said "OK, we're done here with the big stuff. You're awesome, enjoy playing the rest of the content and we'll throw in some new bits and pieces to let you enjoy the monster-hunting parts of the game."

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Thats a pretty good observation. Suffice it to say Square Enix was in a pretty unique position to make a call like this. None of the other MMOs from the same generation faced that kind of privilege, mainly because they were the only cash cow for the company and they couldn't afford to let it go. Even now, with this lack of content, FFXI can afford to remain P2P, which is either egotistical or impressive, because games like EQ and Lineage 2 went freemium quite some time ago.

Of course, they were all developed PC only. And thats probably what makes FFXI unique - by being the first console MMO in the market, it had inadvertently sealed its fate when it started development specifically using PS2 hardware. The devs probably didn't think XI would be as successful as it is tho. It seems FFXI will continue this tradition of being a groundbreaking MMORPG in different ways