1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 16 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 7 hours, 0 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 0 hours, 0 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Thordan Extreme Guide     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

A nice clean way to do Skyward leap during the adds is:

1st marker north
    2nd marker south
    3rd marker north

They are timed so that you can stagger 1 and 3 and the raid takes minimal damage.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Any suggestions for the end of P4 where you get Syrcus Tower meteors / on top of t9 meteors / on top of ground stuff. My group only messed around with the fight for about 1:30 last night and that part seemed to get us.

Found it easier to just ignore the t9 meteors since its minimal damage and easy to heal through (as long as you don't clip another person) and just worry about killing the meteor links and avoiding ground stuff, but any suggestions to make that part go smoother regarding the dps check component? Maybe our WHM should solo heal that part and me (sch) dps, but i think the other way around would be better since not a lot of time to get dots up and the targets aren't close enough to bane on.

It might just require more practice to get familiar with that section, but curious how others have approached it

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Any suggestions for the end of P4 where you get Syrcus Tower meteors / on top of t9 meteors / on top of ground stuff. My group only messed around with the fight for about 1:30 last night and that part seemed to get us.

Found it easier to just ignore the t9 meteors since its minimal damage and easy to heal through (as long as you don't clip another person) and just worry about killing the meteor links and avoiding ground stuff, but any suggestions to make that part go smoother regarding the dps check component? Maybe our WHM should solo heal that part and me (sch) dps, but i think the other way around would be better since not a lot of time to get dots up and the targets aren't close enough to bane on.

It might just require more practice to get familiar with that section, but curious how others have approached it
    It's not T9 meteors. It's more like the missile which pings people in A1S but it's AoE instead. Just heal through it. Dodging red golem mechanic is simple. The meteors have stupidly low HP. Enough where even tanks can easily solo the smaller ones. There's not even really much healing required in that part if people aren't stacking their aoe meteors or getting hit by the red golem mechanic.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

nice to know the dps and tanks are just being bad by standing in stuff then lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    It's not T9 meteors. It's more like the missile which pings people in A1S but it's AoE instead. Just heal through it. Dodging red golem mechanic is simple. The meteors have stupidly low HP. Enough where even tanks can easily solo the smaller ones. There's not even really much healing required in that part if people aren't stacking their aoe meteors or getting hit by the red golem mechanic.

Or getting the dot tick from the hail storm.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post

I have found that if no one has Frostbite, my Pre-succor + roused Whispering Dawn + Medica II was sufficient to heal people as long as they did not incur damage from the ground attacks. This gave an opportunity for healer DPS to support the total DPS. You can also plan to leave one Comet circle up and go straight to the Meteor circle since they only do about 8k DMG.

THE FAIRY CAT
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snoctopus Snoctopus
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

When the split happens and you get the sword oath + shield oath guys, is there any reason for tanks NOT to LD/Holmgang the Holy Bladedance if they have the sword oath add?

We're a bit lower on the gear side (Low-mid 190's) because my group took a few weeks off. I'm guessing that as we get more items it'll be easier, but right now that tankbuster is fucking shit up bad.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Casca Wolftamer
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Snoctopus View Post
    When the split happens and you get the sword oath + shield oath guys, is there any reason for tanks NOT to LD/Holmgang the Holy Bladedance if they have the sword oath add?

We're a bit lower on the gear side (Low-mid 190's) because my group took a few weeks off. I'm guessing that as we get more items it'll be easier, but right now that tankbuster is fucking shit up bad.
    Problem with that is that it doesnt help you really because they gonna do it a few more times during the phase. We tried to have our tank do it but yeah they got destroyed the other times when it wasnt up.

New Merits
    BG Level

Our pld always hallowed sword oath blade dance, and me personally used vengeance + raw intuition + inner beast for sword oath blade dance, and thrill of battle for shield oath one, could just holmgang it as well but I just liked to get least some use for vengeance in that phase. If we get 3rd blade dance its always without any buffs so we just use some minor on it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Save your CDs for the add phase and don't waste them on the burn before them. That should give you enough of a dps push so that each tank eats only one sword oath Holy bladedance. If you consistently get 3 (2 SwO 1 ShO) then just stack CDs for one like veng+IB and HG the other. Don't waste major CDs for the shield oath hits.

THE FAIRY CAT
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snoctopus Snoctopus
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    Save your CDs for the add phase and don't waste them on the burn before them. That should give you enough of a dps push so that each tank eats only one sword oath Holy bladedance. If you consistently get 3 (2 SwO 1 ShO) then just stack CDs for one like veng+IB and HG the other. Don't waste major CDs for the shield oath hits.
    Ok, cool. One of the guys in my team was worried that they would need LD later on in the fight, but if we know that we are clear to use it during that phase without it fucking us over later on, that's good information to bring back to the group.

The other question I may as well ask while I'm here- We used the prong/line stack for avoiding the charges, will learning this method vs. the "proper" way come back to haunt us later in the encounter, or will those floor markings always be safe for subsequent charges?

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I tank the two Paladins without Grit up because they hit like wet paper honestly. Two cooldowns on the first bladedance and they don't even drop me under 75%. Living dead the second one. If you're getting more than two then your DPS needs to pick it up.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Ok, cool. One of the guys in my team was worried that they would need LD later on in the fight, but if we know that we are clear to use it during that phase without it fucking us over later on, that's good information to bring back to the group.

The other question I may as well ask while I'm here- We used the prong/line stack for avoiding the charges, will learning this method vs. the "proper" way come back to haunt us later in the encounter, or will those floor markings always be safe for subsequent charges?
    Use the line trick for that phase anyways. The only charge you have to "learn" later on is during the Lightning Storm phase and you can just check as the purple markers go out for that one.

My group for the Paladin adds: the tank who gets Sword Oath first stays in dps stance and uses Holmgang or LD. It dies for us right around the next Divine Right. So only one tank gets two busters, and only one is a sword oath buster.

But if both tanks get 2 busters, normal CD for shield oath buster and HG, etc for sword oath buster

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    I started doing this and esp if the tank add gets sword oath while the warrior is tanking it first, we almost kill it in one push. Have dropped it to 3%, am sure I can push a little more damage out myself as well. I had been wasting BFB/Life Surge and shit on the burn add before, but realized I didn't need to at that point.

Our group is on the charge into Phase 6 transition when shit goes crazy. Charge doesn't seem bad to deal with (we've been having the healer go under the boss, then stack behind her with the tank out to eat the initial hit) but yeah.. just need to get through that consistently and I'm sure we'll get it at some point. I don't mind wiping to it! It's a fun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimkytaru View Post
    Problem with that is that it doesnt help you really because they gonna do it a few more times during the phase. We tried to have our tank do it but yeah they got destroyed the other times when it wasnt up.
    It's only dangerous if they have the sword oath buff, and each tank should only be eating 1 sword-oath-buffed bladedance, if your DPS is high enough then not even that.

Does anyone have an fflog of a clear run?

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Does anyone have an fflog of a clear run?
    I'm not sure fflogs has Thordan yet. Here's a pic that has our parse though. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTfeF_5XIAAVtV4.jpg:large

Edit: Asked our SMN for his logs. Good luck deciphering this though, lol: http://www.fflogs.com/reports/g78xzWXjVyNKfTJn

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Eludi View Post
    Our pld always hallowed sword oath blade dance, and me personally used vengeance + raw intuition + inner beast for sword oath blade dance, and thrill of battle for shield oath one, could just holmgang it as well but I just liked to get least some use for vengeance in that phase. If we get 3rd blade dance its always without any buffs so we just use some minor on it.
    it's not one chunk of dmg, instead its split between the 2-4 seconds of animation. A well timed heal or lustrate (ontop of a sch shield if the sch is healing that target) completely negates that tank buster. I heal our WAR for that (as SCH) and its to the point where he doesn't even need to use a single defensive CD

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    I'm not sure fflogs has Thordan yet. Here's a pic that has our parse though. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTfeF_5XIAAVtV4.jpg:large

Edit: Asked our SMN for his logs. Good luck deciphering this though, lol: http://www.fflogs.com/reports/g78xzWXjVyNKfTJn
    Thanks, that's actually very helpful.