1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 23 hours, 23 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 10 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Lord of Verminion (Pokémon meets Starcraft)

Maybe I was blind but I didn't seem to notice a thread on this...

Has anyone else given this a go? It seemed pretty simple at first but the specific requirements for Special Actions seemed to have gone a bit over my head.

Definitely a fun game though to pass time in but I doubt I'll be wanting to face any real players outside of the AI for a good while.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    It seemed pretty simple at first
    The ingame tutorial has determined that to be a lie.

No but seriously I am lost about almost all of it. It's (like chocobo breeding) way more complicated than it had to be and I'm sure that will put a lot of people off initially. I'm dreading learning the system but I'm sure once you know it it's a breeze.

I have 6 pages of minions, looking through all of them to decide on a strategy will be a complete nightmare. A lot of them are obviously trash at a glance but some look seriously good (and they're not even the rare ones).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Davorin Cousseraux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Having only done the tutorial, the camera and controls seem clunky with a controller.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I have 135 minions and it's an absolute nightmare to not only figure out which combinations work well together, but to remember which minion does what. Granted a lot of them do the same exact thing, but it's still a lot to remember.

So far the go to strat though seems to be ye olde zerg rush of spamming massive amount of low cost minions that have an attack buff and just throwing them at whatever you want to watch instantly die. I tried playing off the strengths and weaknesses aspect of it and got floored by the NPC so many times. But 16 Wolf Pups? GG match over in 2 minutes.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    So far the go to strat though seems to be ye olde zerg rush of spamming massive amount of low cost minions that have an attack buff and just throwing them at whatever you want to watch instantly die. I tried playing off the strengths and weaknesses aspect of it and got floored by the NPC so many times. But 16 Wolf Pups? GG match over in 2 minutes.
    This matches my experience too. Started off trying to be smart/strategic with minion selection, defending, attacking, etc. until I hit my first wall (the mandragora challenge if I don't remember wrong). Once I started zerging the stones/bosses with dogs and cats I found myself one-shotting pretty much all of the challenges.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

omfg the final two challenges, the feels

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I took one look at the table and decided I had better shit to spend my time on right now (will come back to it once the other content gets stale). My friend got into it, though, and came to a similar conclusion: Zerging is the best stategy. He has a thing for tonberries, so he sent out as many Tonberries as he could.. with, I think, a scattering of Odins to help them out. Last I heard it was going well.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I managed to beat them all, but I think I got lucky on a few. For all of the straight up matches, the same strat worked for me every single time, but I had to cook up some custom shit for some of the boss fights.

For regular style matches, get one 10 cost minion that's strong vs Shields, a 10 cost strong vs Eyes, and a 10 cost strong vs Stones. I used Coeurl Kitten, Flame Hatchling, and Fighter (there are plenty of alternatives if you are missing any of these). Start the fight with 2 of each, send the kittens to the eye, the hatchlings to the shield, and the fighters to one of the side stones (usually the right). Don't engage the enemy forces unless they're on your last stone, and you have to buy time for your zerg squad. By taking out the eye, you can simply take out whichever stone the enemy isn't defending. It's essentially a base-race strategy, but you'll pretty much always win since they never try to take out your shields other than that one early challenge where they focus it.

The important thing to remember with the above strategy is to keep an eye on the enemy shield for when it's going to come back up, and be ready to take it out again. You don't really need to keep making kittens or hatchlings unless your initial ones die somewhere along the way. Just spam fighters and try to send them at angles to the enemy stones (they often have the straight lanes occupied, and will kill the slow-moving fighters fairly easily).

This strat worked for every regular challenge after I discovered it, though I had to redo a few because of mistakes I made (failed to dodge enemy forces, or made too many kittens/hatchlings)

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Looks like LoV queue is only on your own server. Pretty annoying trying to get a match.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyoko View Post
    Looks like LoV queue is only on your own server. Pretty annoying trying to get a match.
    That would probably explain why you can still get tells though not PF (least in the AI one anyway).

Can't play while in DF.

A minigame meant to kill time, and you can't play it while in the DF.

Lord of Verminion 11/10/2015 - 11/10/2015

RIP

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Verminion Challenge rewards are one time only.

Master Battle rewards are shit. 200 normal, 300 hard, 400 extreme, minus the 100 to enter. They also have none of the mechanics that made challenges somewhat fun.

Player Battles aren't through the DF, and unlike chocobo racing there's no NPC counterpart.

Forfeiting from matches including solo 3 times locks you out for the entire day.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

And the super awesome reward for 1st place is...!

[10:00]Tournament Recordkeeper: Congratulations, Valar Morghulis! You've finished 1st on the board! Along with an added bonus of 60,000 points, your total winnings come to 98,480MGP!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I want that penguin minion. What can I do to get ten wins consistently against pubbies?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Oh I thought that was next week making it every week a tournament of TT or LoV x: missed that boat.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    And the super awesome reward for 1st place is...!
    I had hoped SE fixed stuff like someone using an alt in the middle of the night to get 30 wins but I guess not.

The reward for first doesn't seem like much when seventh place gets like 60k?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by aldo View Post
    I had hoped SE fixed stuff like someone using an alt in the middle of the night to get 30 wins but I guess not.
    It doesn't even need to be the middle of the night. There are multiple copies of the Gold Saucer, and you can easily get into one in the middle of the day and find it completely empty.

Quote Originally Posted by aldo View Post
    The reward for first doesn't seem like much when seventh place gets like 60k?
    My wife came in 6th and it gave her a 51,400 MGP bonus. My alt with 2 wins at rank 30 got a 21,400 MGP bonus. Also, every point in the tournament is worth 20 MGP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    Oh I thought that was next week making it every week a tournament of TT or LoV x: missed that boat.
    This one was Saturday to Tuesday. The next appears to be Sunday to Wednesday. If I had to guess I'd say there will be one every week, shifting forward a day so that it slowly rotates through times that everyone can play.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

I got 82k for 3rd place. Didn't take much effort for MGP, will probably continue to get the mounts.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I tried doing the tournament and was in queue for like an hour didn't get a challenger so I was like screw it and did something else.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

There's another tournament going on, for those of you still interested.