Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Time Warner CEO is considering delaying shows longer than one year to streaming services

A.K.A. Fuck You Cable Cutters
    Jeff Bewkes, the chief executive of DC-owner Time Warner Inc., told analysts on a conference call Wednesday that the company is considering whether to let online services like Netflix have its shows several years after they first air, rather than one year later. He said that could mean more older episodes are available on-demand to traditional cable customers.

Withdrawing shows from online services would make traditional cable and satellite TV packages more attractive. Time Warner is focused on "delivering even more value to consumers, especially those who subscribe to the traditional bundle," Bewkes said.

Analyst Anthony DiClemente of Nomura Securities said Time Warner is reacting to the growth of Netflix as a power in the TV industry.

DiClemente speculated that satellite and cable TV providers like DirecTV and Comcast could soon be able to offer back episodes for the entire current season to customers in on-demand libraries, rather than just the most recent five episodes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...flix.html?_r=4

This would affect the properties of DC Comics, CBS, CW, TNT, & TBS.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Time Warner CEO is considering promoting piracy*

Hackey Thread Lurker since 2010
    I could have bought an 11 pull and have 1000 gems left over, but all I got was this silly title.

BG Level

Or, ya know, it would be so simple to start offering channels a la carte and you would have customers buying what they want and not bloated packages. But that's too easy to entice customers.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

His understanding of the word "value" is almost as tenuous as his understanding of the word "monopoly."

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    Withdrawing shows from online services
    this nigga lives in the 60s or some shit? this date and age and you don't provide online contents for hungry users or at reasonable price? Guess what they gonna do? become mfkin' pirates, bitchesssss.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They are referring to Netflix/Hulu, which they allowed to prosper. At this point if TWC pulled all of their shows to 2-3 years old, wouldn't be too much impact. Yet I notice they aren't as bold to pull all their properties and usher in their own HBO/GO setup. If other studios did this, I don't believe Netflix could stand on their own at this point. Though by the time contacts were up and all the other studio plugs were pulled, they could as their own studio/channel at least.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If it takes 3 years for season 1 to get on Netflix, I will wait 3 years. There are enough other television shows that will get added swiftly plus all the content that is being created by Netflix directly.

I don't see this as anything more than "Cable will pay us more now to try and subvert all the cord cutters" while ignoring the fact that more people are moving away from normal tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Senji View Post
    Yet I notice they aren't as bold to pull all their properties and usher in their own HBO/GO setup. If other studios did this, I don't believe Netflix could stand on their own at this point.
    I dunno, I think there's a point where people are going to tell a continued proliferation of sub-based services to fuck off. On the life end, you've got car, medical, rent/mortgage, utilities, and possible loans. For quality of life, you can probably expect TV, phone, and internet. Then you've got other stuff like Prime, Hulu/Netflix, possible premium cable channels, XBL/PSN, and maybe an MMO sub. And that's just off the top of my head. Shit adds up, which is why you don't want to take away while demanding even more. Yohoho, indeed.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
    If it takes 3 years for season 1 to get on Netflix, I will wait 3 years. There are enough other television shows that will get added swiftly plus all the content that is being created by Netflix directly.

I don't see this as anything more than "Cable will pay us more now to try and subvert all the cord cutters" while ignoring the fact that more people are moving away from normal tv.
    It just seems like a self-destructive business plan on their part. I don't think any of their shows are the mainline'd heroin that Game of Thrones is to make people reverse their decisions if they don't already have it. People are either going to have cable TV and have all the stuff anyways or they cut cable and will have lost interest in the series by the time it comes out 2-3 years later. Or they'll pirate it.

All they're doing is making the people who were only moderately interested in their show go to completely uninterested.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    It just seems like a self-destructive business plan on their part. I don't think any of their shows are the mainline'd heroin that Game of Thrones is to make people reverse their decisions if they don't already have it. People are either going to have cable TV and have all the stuff anyways or they cut cable and will have lost interest in the series by the time it comes out 2-3 years later. Or they'll pirate it.

All they're doing is making the people who were only moderately interested in their show go to completely uninterested.
    Time.

Warner.

Do not be surprised.