1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 2 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 21 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 19 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 14 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Increased isolationism     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Problem is no one would do it unless there wasn't an easier alternative. There would have to be exclusive items/content obtainable from something difficult like that, or people would just stick to whatever's easier.

edit: well no, you have plenty of people doing Diadem HM over NM, but that is mainly because HM is so much more efficient for getting 210 gear. If you could get xp or items more efficiently in a difficult and dangerous zone people would probably use it.

I was a long term XI player that had a lot of connectivity there, and made friends that lasted for a decade because of how XI was. And I stayed with the game even after my shell and friends melted away, and found myself alone. If you want a feeling of isolation, walking thru the modern day XI world with no one you know left on the server is a real eye opener.

Anyhow the people that I used to play XI with looked me up and encouraged me to join them in XIV, and I figured why not? And did. One of the reasons that they said they wanted me was that I was one of the best recruiters of new players to the shell back in XI. I had a knack for finding new folks who needed help getting started, and our shell would support them as they got a handle on the game, helped with the sub job. stuff, and level breaks and so on. Most would move on from us over time, but enough stayed that we had a very vibrant and helpful shell.

So I get to XIV and after spending a week getting on my feet and being able to do the basics without feeling like a drunk sailor, I went about trying to do what I always did. Meet people and offer to help. It didn't work. Oh I found a lot of sprouts running around, but they never wanted to talk. No one shouted questions or asked for help. I just found a blank wall. There was no reason for anyone to WANT to talk to a stranger. Occasionally I'd see a crafting request. but that was about the extent of people reaching out.

The shell that was made of my old friends was what/is keeps me about. They have helped me with things, and provide a level of communication that makes the game feel social to me. But I feel pretty useless overall. There is nothing I can do that one of them can't 20 times better, and my one strength which was finding people is a dead end.

XIV has a lot of strengths over XI which I could list in length. I spent a decade and change in XI and there are things I loath about it. But one thing that XIV lacks is a mechanism for encouraging connectivity with players.

In fairness, I've been slowly meeting folks via fates, I often see a request for help with some one that can't be soloed easily due to the sync, and go help out, and have been meeting people that way. I've yet to make a lasting connection, but have had some nice talks.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It doesn't help at all that a lot of them already have established social circles and don't bother with anyone else out of their circle.

Since my last post, I have to say my decision was a good one. Still in my little "world of one" but not in a group of people making me feel like I don't matter.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I tried a large FC - My static was in it. Was in it over a year. Unfortunately, this particular one end up not caring about the individual members, and just wanted people to give out free carries and for people to donate to the airship. If you tried to step up and organise learning parties/wrote guides/made suggestions to improve the FC, you quickly found yourself marginalised and kicked/forced out. Happened to other statics, other individuals and eventually it happened to my group.

I probably won't join another large FC again, I'd rather not deal with the daily begging and drama.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm in a similar situation, but in my FC building a static is definitely encouraged. but huge problem with that is no members want to do anything, ever. Sucks because I had a good static group for Alex and some people just stopped logging in after 3.1 update. So we disbanded and now I am slowly but surely closing the gap to full 210, but nothing else. No one even wants to do diadem anymore. I may either find a new home or stop playing entirely. I still enjoy triple fell cleaving shit in the face. But its just getting wasted on df experts and void ark.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Haalia Melchiott
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I gotta wonder how many people met their SO/marriage partner on XI/XIV here...
    I met two batshit insane bitches from XI/XIV, if that matters any...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I did have a good friend back in June, but to be honest here, I fucked it up.

There's a guy who tries too hard to get my attention on the lodestone, which prompted me to slowly drift away from that place. That is a pretty creepy place. Heck most of the guys there target the "females" specifically, with obvious intentions on having more than just friendship.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

but twilight they're the nice guys dont you understand why you gotta run around with all those douchebags?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Had a guy like that in my raid group who would get obsessed with the latest grill that said hello to him. Thank fuck he's gone.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Friends from XI took me in when my home life blew up back in 2008 and it was the best change to my life. I think it's equal parts heartwarming and completely ridiculous.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've made some friends for life from FFXI. I can't really say the same for FFXIV. Of of my childhood friends had his FFXIV raid leader move in with him when he got a house to help pay the bills. Dude is a total fucking mess. He's nice enough at times, but has serious anger issues.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    but twilight they're the nice guys dont you understand why you gotta run around with all those douchebags?
    There are no nice guys. Just guys with some self respect and guys who dont have any.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mirai Amariyo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
    There's a guy who tries too hard to get my attention on the lodestone, which prompted me to slowly drift away from that place. That is a pretty creepy place. Heck most of the guys there target the "females" specifically, with obvious intentions on having more than just friendship.
    This happens? What? Did Lodestone become a dating site that i'm not aware of?

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Grieverbk View Post
    This happens? What? Did Lodestone become a dating site that i'm not aware of?
    Thirsty dudes on the internet. Come on. This happens anywhere there are thirsty dudes on the internet.

Also, for anyone thinking that end-game builds community: you're half-right.

The struggle is what builds community. Its not end-game, per se, but the struggle of navigating through the challenges of end-game and succeeding with like-minded people (AKA people who can get shit done, like you, you stud, you!) that brings community together. This struggle also exists during the leveling process, which is why good guilds/LSes are initially formed during the leveling process. When a game is new, the early-game is a struggle: working with people through leveling up anything from missions to crafting to leveling up actual ls/guild perks themselves forges a sense of community, especially when you constantly have to reach outside of your budding core group to get shit done.

End-game breeds a community because its a thriving ecosystem: LSes are formed full of like-minded people trying to get shit done; LSes die because of drama, game fatigue, RL issues or people seeking greener pastures elsewhere, and the cycle continues. And end-game without a sense of struggle and progress, and without a need to reach out to others to get shit done will not foster a sense of community. Given all this, its no surprise why people view XI as having some magnificent sense of "community": you accomplished fuck-all by yourself in the grand scheme of things. If there's no struggle to achieve a goal - whatever that goal may be - you won't have a sense of community because no one relies on anyone else for anything. Reliance builds comraderie; camaraderie builds memories; memories builds nostalgia; nostalgia builds threads like this with people pining for whatever they experienced when they were in high school.

To respond to the OP: No. I don't miss it. I had fun with a massive community and tons of moving parts, but I also have fun alone, where I get to call all the shots and succeed or fail on my own individual merits/performance. When I want community, there are places I can go for that. When I want to be the only one that matters, there are places I can go for that.

To put an example out there: Take Mount and Blade: Warband. If I want a sense of community, I can go online where I can hang with a bunch of like-minded people that I all-but rely on for a good time (either winning games or just fucking around and having a good time). If I want to call the shots myself and be alone, I can play single player and conquer the fucking map with my massive army that listens to what I say and does what I fucking tell them to do.

Both versions of the game game bring me equal parts fun. They scratch different itches, yes, but I'm still oohing and ahhing with relief after either itch is scratched.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mirai Amariyo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Thirsty dudes on the internet. Come on. This happens anywhere there are thirsty dudes on the internet.
    Fair enough, I guess I just figured that there are better places to poach women on the internet if that's your sort of thing.

Though the fact someone would do it on the lodestone kind of speaks for itself I guess.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Grieverbk View Post
    Fair enough, I guess I just figured that there are better places to poach women on the internet if that's your sort of thing.

Though the fact someone would do it on the lodestone kind of speaks for itself I guess.
    I know you well enough to know that you're a brilliant person. You've known the truth about this aspect of life all along, you just may not have ever had to actually conceptualize it in your head.

If you're feeling icky or distressingly sad about the reality of it, I don't blame you. Thirsty dudes gonna thirst, though, and the net is a pretty safe place to be a creep without actual repercussions for said creeping.

I'm just surprised people use the Lodestone period.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

To be fair, for those with sufficient thirst, you -do- get to see an avatar of your chosen fetish race on most every person you talk to.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I've certainly met some decent friends on FFXIV. Most have been via raiding. I still talk to people on Faerie that i've not grouped with for 18+months.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I'm just surprised people use the Lodestone period.
    My sentiments exactly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast