1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 51 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 2 hours, 51 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

They're not gonna do something as silly as involve MGP in anything beyond the GS.

I have no expectation that the new relics will be anything but old content grinds tho, other than maybe some Diadem bullshit (which isn't really old yet).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    They're not gonna do something as silly as involve MGP in anything beyond the GS.

I have no expectation that the new relics will be anything but old content grinds tho, other than maybe some Diadem bullshit (which isn't really old yet).
    Its going to be CT/ST/WoD

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Pankration had infinitely more depth and was far more interesting than LoV and no one did it.

It's a waste of everyone's time.
    Lol, yeah right. It was Pokèmon without all the things that make Pokèmon any good. So much depth.

Are you kidding?

You got to custom make you're own goddamn pokemon, gtfo with that bullshit.

The level of customization in Pankration was insane.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

if they had added more rewards and arena types to pankration it would've been amazing

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Then add in the Monstrosity System. Like...they have the talent....

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Lol, yeah right. It was Pokèmon without all the things that make Pokèmon any good. So much depth.
    It was pretty darn in depths actually... for how unfinished they left it, I know there was a "meta" involving Elementals or Chigoe but I quite enjoyed my Doll rape machine >__>... Yah it was Pokemon-ee but last time i checked Pokemon was fucking awesome. sadly like almost all their side activities in XI, they introduce it and immediately say "FUCK IT" and its never touched again.

Like seriously, I fucking LOVED Monstrosity and they just stopped. Fucking finish a system and add rewards and people will do it, don't give up because no one wants to chase your shit tier level 75 rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Then add in the Monstrosity System. Like...they have the talent....
    They really needed to make this more fleshed out. I've been waiting for Monstrosity partying since they announced it years ago... probably not happening now. Who knows, maybe now that they're not going to add so much more big content they'll take the time to focus on some of the dead side content that had superb potential.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Indeed - But that's why the only credit I'll ever give Yoshi's direction is pushing out a revamped version of an unfinished MMO. Otherwise, the team on XI has done leaps and bounds more even if they don't always keep stuff alive - they at least tried.

Yoshi's motto is more: "No, no no it'll confuse the new player. I want balanced gameplay so people don't want Machinists over any other job in a content. Also having stats that enhance abilities is too complex. You need boring vertical progression for the MMO to be good which is why I won't change the formula from 2 years ago because you guys eat it up."

Quite honestly, if I still didn't have 1.7ish years worth of Crysta from when the SE store actually used it, I probably wouldn't even have paid my legacy fee for XIV after 2.3.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It just makes me sad that the word "Relic" actually meant something in XI (before they reduced Dynamis to solo content with a daily lockout) and it really carries no clout in XIV.

In XI if you had an Apoc/Gjallarhorn/Mandau it meant that 99.9999% of the time you were top tier at your job and serious about it (and had near-perfect gearsets). It was respected and people sought you out to do content with because those weapons were the best of the best (even after level cap increases they modified them to keep them at the top).

In XIV, any yahoo with a spare hand and a few days to kill can have a so-called "relic". I don't have high hopes for Heavensward relics either, probably more of the same "run Sohm Al x times" or "complete these 19 arbitrary FATEs that have nothing to do with anything".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Pruviant View Post
    It just makes me sad that the word "Relic" actually meant something in XI (before they reduced Dynamis to solo content with a daily lockout) and it really carries no clout in XIV.

In XI if you had an Apoc/Gjallarhorn/Mandau it meant that 99.9999% of the time you jacked a LS bank or ran your own dynamis shell which broke as soon as your relic was done or were e-fucking a HMM LS leader

In XIV, any yahoo with a spare hand and a few days to kill can have a so-called "relic". I don't have high hopes for Heavensward relics either, probably more of the same "run Sohm Al x times" or "complete these 19 arbitrary FATEs that have nothing to do with anything".
    fixed to represent reality.

People with relics were still stupid as fuck if they were stupid as fuck before they got the relic.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Agreed, but the majority of the time you saw someone that obtained their relic legit they were good. I don't know your experience, maybe you got fucked over or something, but pretty much every player on Hades/Cerberus with a relic pre-2010 knew their shit.

My point still stands though, any Tom, Dick or Harry can get a relic these days, they (or we, w/e) need to just refer to them as AF Weps and be done with it, they will never be the best available weapon anyway.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Again, any Tom, Dick, or Harry could get one back then too. Take it from someone who had 3 pre-2007. All it took was a bit of forethought, a hilariously basic knowledge of economics, and the ability to commit too much time to the game.

You're ascribing too much weight to something that was only correlated with how much time you could play the game. Still had people in Kikokus TPing in Osode and Aegis users who didnt use any shield skill+ in macros at all, if they even had macros.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

All it took was a bit of forethought, a hilariously basic knowledge of economics, and the ability to commit too much time to the game.
    I know you're not comparing the difficulty of the two and I agree a relic in old XI didn't mean you knew your job, but the difficulty of obtaining one kept it out of the hands of the average man for a very long time, regardless if they could do it, the time devotion was a turn off. So we can all at least agree that, skill aside, old XI relics took far more time and money than XIV relics and with that factor alone they were usually in the hands of either the devoted or the LS leader/girlfriend.

Now from personal experience, most people I knew who had relics were pretty damn good at their job, but i knew quite a few who had relics that cried themselves to sleep each night... a particular PLD with Aegis comes to mind but god i can't recall her name. That poor Aegis though and the idiots who got it for her.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    snip
    Call it what you want, idgaf. You had 3 relics, hooray for you ... I bet you were more than decent at all 3 jobs, huh? Point is, only the super dedicated obtained relics in old XI. 99 times out of 100, that dedicated player was damn good at their job. In current XIV, literally EVERYONE can obtain a zeta in a few days, and they could have ZERO COMPREHENSION OF THEIR JOB.

Not sure how I can make my point any clearer.

Edit: Relic quest with a sub-par reward accessible to 100% of the playerbase.

VS.

Relic quest with an optimal reward accessible to 5% of the playerbase.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Because it's a completely different game with a completely different generation of players. You cant really make equivalencies between the two.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Edit: Meh, not relevant

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Pruviant View Post
    In XI if you had an Apoc/Gjallarhorn/Mandau it meant that 99.9999% of the time you were top tier at your job and serious about it (and had near-perfect gearsets).
    I played with alot of relic owners and saw alot of shit ones on my server and seriously the only people who even came close to that statement were relic monks. Sure there were shit monks with it too, but for every shit Spharai monk there were at least 5 Apoc DRK's who didn't know how to use it properly. Also fuckin lol@Mandau THF being a sought after player. Everybody knows THF's relic in XI was a Thief's Knife. Inb4 lifetime THF's defending their relic, blame SE for their shit TH crap not me.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah relic holders were not necessarily top notch players.
    Dedication to farming/stealing/whoring for a relic and having ample time to spend on that were factors that amount to a far cry from actually being a good player. Sometimes the two correlated, just as often they didn't. Can't remember how many shitty players I saw manage to wheedle their way into obtaining a relic and then proceed to use it completely ineffectually. Heck we had a guy who had gjallarhorn and he never ever used it cause he never played bard. (He was a great player though, but still, waste of a fucking relic).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I guess I should count myself lucky I didn't play on a shit server then lol. Sure we had a very small percentage of bad relic owners, but ya'll talk like it was every 3rd one was terribad on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by Appie View Post
    Also fuckin lol@Mandau THF being a sought after player. Everybody knows THF's relic in XI was a Thief's Knife. Inb4 lifetime THF's defending their relic, blame SE for their shit TH crap not me.
    It was a fucking generalization lmao. I wasn't saying that people actually looked for Mandau THFs .... and who the fuck are you and why would anyone blame you for anything? Reaching bruh.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i still wish i'd kept my currency and gone for yoichinoyumi. sam/rng was stupidly fun