+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tera: Elin saved Tera     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Tera: Elin saved Tera

Pretty interesting article that I wanted to share. This is from a presentation by Bluehole Studio's former producer, Kim Nak Heong, regarding his experience with the development of the game.

I'll just translate the first part: (Though I will cut out some of the uninteresting bits)

1. Success can happen in unexpected places

We honestly didn't expect Elins to be this popular. At first, we focused mostly on Castanics. Because we were targeting the global audience, we needed something that would be appealing in the overseas. So from the developer's perspective, Castanics were fitting for that role. This is why Castanics were used as the main focus for advertising in the first few trailers.

But Elins took the spotlight instead. They ended up gathering popularity in not only in Korea, but also in other countries as well. Originally, Elins were meant to be just a filler race. We already had the muscular type, sexy type, giant type, so we thought we should include a cute girl type as well. And because of this, development priority for Elins was actually pretty low.

In fact, Elins weren't supposed to be its own separate race. It was just a female Popori. We only changed it two months before the release of the game- When we received feedback from those in North America, they were asking "How do these guys reproduce?" They didn't really understand how animal-like Popori and human-like Elins could mate. We didn't really think this through either. So ultimately, we decided to separate Elins from Poporis in the race selection screen. Even the name "Elin" was decided during that time. They were just going to be female Poporis.

We focused greatly on the Japanese market, so we released the game there 6 months after the release in Korea. But not long after, playerbase quickly diminished. So we decided to focus on the North American market instead, and focus less on the Japanese market. It was a strategic retreat.

We didn't really pay much attention to feedback from the Japanese market afterwards, but one day, their localization team made a strange request: "Please make a school swimming suit costume for Elins." From the concept art image they provided us, we thought it wouldn't take much effort to make, so we just made it quickly for them. But we didn't expect this to be such a big hit. Although we just made the costume half-heartedly, the profit we made from this costume alone exceeded all the profit we made from all the swimming costumes for all races in Korea.

After that, making costumes was a simple task- They say school swimming suits, bloomers, and maid outfits are the 3 wonders in Japan. Maid costume was especially a big hit. Due to all the profit from Elin costumes, we were able to transition Tera into Free-to-Play format smoothly.

Tera's release in North America was a bit complicated. Month before Tera's release in NA was Diablo 3, and month after was Guild War 2. Because of the competition, we shifted our focus to the Chinese market, because Free-to-Play games were very popular in China. But after some time had passed, Tera ended up doing best in North America compared to in other countries.

What's important is never giving up. If we didn't bother with Elin school swimsuits because Tera was unpopular in Japan back then, Tera right now would be in a completely different state.
    https://tera-forums.enmasse.com/foru...lin-saved-Tera

Full article Google translated:

Spoiler: show
    [NDC2015] Tera gimnakhyeong former Head Live, "honestly did not know Elin is so successful." Baktaehak ([email protected])

* This lecture was held on the basis of the material presented at the conference-house Blue Hole (BDC). There are reconfigured to match the external part of the public standards, a blue hall official views and are pleased to inform you in advance that there is a difference

two years'll yesterday. Terra is part and then switch to the charge, it was eagerly enjoyed the time, I remember looking at the relatively generous plan surprised. Deal of the cache items were available, I was able to enjoy a whole prices have fun without the very expensive piece eotgie not big money. Gimnakhyeong Live Team Line with the former speaker said, the NDC 2015 whilst the experience cool tone. Saerok saerok got even remember when enjoyed in full swing, some doubt was also felt to be solved a little bit. Now, instead of Terra team, so more calm and frank speech. Now let's check together.

1. Success occurs in unexpected places.

We honestly did not give Elin this court to do so. The character was originally strategically elaborate star Nick Kane. I make the global market as a target, character had eaten in need abroad, the developers Its role became this star Nick Kane in this view. So the initial ads were oriented star Nick Kane. But the reality is that Elin went mainly. As well as the only country not evenly cover the country gained popularity. Elin was a character originally created to fill portfolio. Big type, Athletic, sister type, a cute girl when it was divided this way you will need to add Elin also wants to develop priorities was also considerably behind. And Elin was also originally a separate species. Li Po were women. Two months ago this was a time of change to open it, then the feedback received in North America. The rejection of the people there very harsh. North America, reasonable people. The world likes to get convinced by this logic. Elin to see, I ask 'How to breed this species. Popo Lee'll Elin did not understand the animals and humanoid am. Honestly, this part could we ever thought. Eventually it decided to remove the species from the character selection window. It will be named Elin also built at that time. Just before that Li Po was a girl. Come to think it seems to be going through all the things that led to perfection. As skilled production skills made ​​the last time, the character even higher maturity, races are separated, could also have a unique feel. Japan is a market that we wrote was very nervous. So immediately after the Korea Open and the finals the past six months. But soon after the user has passed through rapidly. After all it focused on the US market and decided to reduce their investments in Japan Terra. The so-called Strategic give up. Give coming from Japan, I did not hear voice.Truth large, one day, the Japanese team is very gangok live in hadeora a favor. Elin has developed a Student dont wear a swimsuit was content. I turned to look created by not hard to show. At that time, I did not think this would hit me this item. It is really a light-hearted, accidentally created gonna ... until the money once the item sold by now surpassed all sales swimsuit sold in South Korea.

Since then making items easier. Swimwear, Bulma, and is called 3 Fabulous Maid in Japan. In particular, Maid hit the jackpot. Our worry at the time was a troubled one for the part of the charge, it was resolved naturally looking swimwear sales in Japan. The results could also promote a smooth free-to-play naohni. North America was the start elusive. A month ago, 'Diablo III', the 'Guild Wars 2' came out a month later. Frankly, it was hard at first. When the service charge as part of the North American lowered a little in priority, he wore attention to China instead. Does China Shantou two free-to-play is the preferred layer. But hours later, where Terra is the best in North America in the world. Thus a lot of things planned and flows differently. The good practices, but, if it were not also. Not strategy or plan is not required. Even considering that the forecasts and other situations happening should be sure there is enough planning. So that the corresponding agility is possible. Most importantly the spirit does not give up. Let's not give up Japan Live service gets better swimwear, yiraetda if Terra has now been'll look very different. There is no need to be frustrated by the company work different from what I do. Steve Jobs did. Happen to know now that it can not be called up any results. That the last two hours until the next to see how that connection. 2. The world changes faster than you think.

Terra Quest heard a lot of talk that funny. In fact, there is a story here. Quest was the old days is required. So the development team also focused combat and graphics development capabilities and thinking of "Let what we do best." Suddenly 'World of Warcraft' is floated. Yet the quest to MMO has become a very important factor. I could not go against the flow, albeit belatedly began Fill the quest. But we were state jjanot the process already has a different vision. It was difficult making fun quest into the final stage with woogyeokdajim. Only one volume seems to think that made ​​abundantly suggesting. In addition, changes in the community also felt significantly. Gyesyeotda a lot of minutes to successful community development team at Blue Hole. I put the past Well that was created based on the case, these days it community is different from the past. In the past, many users just went back to the community is a natural, if not now, then passed through a well designed user will enjoy only content. We will respond to you too idle.

Apart from, we have a good case for accommodating the changing times. Once free-to-play will be chosen as well. Only the preparation is was hard, it was the driving force that services the Terra far. As reason was promoted urgently. Terra Blue Hole is not the only project when you do not know this company has had a fucking map anxiety. Somehow I had the idea that everyone should be successful. Large-scale projects are hard to change. Not gonna be easy to change direction. So it is important to catch quickly to changes in the world. Whether and how to accept the change should be considered continuously. 3. The fun comes from ideas rather than balance.

I expect a lot, film Come to the game will have a game was a less than expected. Presenting cells (Jesse Schell) is cited as the cause balance problems. But it is difficult to fix alahdo. Diet'll like. It can be solved only take a great effort , especially MMO is correcting the balance is more difficult. Do you hundreds connection test is hard. There is also almost impossible part. Nevertheless, I would say the balance is coming back as investments. Terra organized something called commandos shortly before the launch. In the balance test are referred to a team of 15 people, 10 hours a day, it was just the game for two months. The balance took out based on the data. Early indeon balance, etc. It seems that everything from this effort. Not too bad point is that sooner configure the commandos. If your organization more quickly would have been field-level design to fit well. The environment is important in order to well-balanced. Blue Hole is also equipped with a dedicated testing room. Nani went up to make it even actually test efficiency. Clients who have done the test You know, it may take more time to prepare than the test. Installation, updating In some cases, and consumed as close as hours run, and how it is developing resources to eat. Organizational investments for environmental improvement is necessary.

These are words from the sport. Attack is the only defense might call the trophy the fans call. The same goes the game. The graphics are gorgeous glass to raise fan, but should pay attention to in order to keep this balance. Terra has also early box-office, but was not not keep them. Here painfully felt. The games are all popular for a long time to maintain a balance good. Taking it difficult to balance correct, but, if you create a game with a long-term view must invest a lot of time. 4. Retention (holding force) is very important.

From the results say it was very difficult to raise the retention of Terra. I think retention is only olragandago take fundamental action. Usually free-to-play is open free of charge. Users will have to access the money they earn a chance to occur. The principle of retention is increasingly important yireotda I wonder. Now the question is called, this game funny? ', But later it'll be weeks asking' how the game naohnayo retention? 'Fun is a vague concept. Measurement is difficult. However, the retention can be measured. Focus on retention rather than worry indefinite think it's funny that substantially more assistance to develop the game. 5. Friendship is volatile, but the performance is still trusts.

When you create a game that requires more fundamental than friendship. As long as it works big day. No reliable depending on whether the person had to do something, rather than individual personality seems to be determined. It is important to do their jobs well. The rooms reverse case one does not come as a result a lot of the game. Middle also shows the final result before the result is out in the middle can break a relationship. People came to watch the Terra will know. From the beginning the project was not continued well until now. At this time, this was a difficult period in the middle of a lot of people left the Blue Hole. Then one should be sincere and reveals the results at the time ... Anyway the rest of those who have worked hard to hold together the mind, was brought up here. There is no need to be discouraged eopeotdago this treasure on Treasure Island first. Someday you'll find a real treasure island. It is not necessary to give up. 6. Iran is a large-scale production of endless fighting and eventually evade responsibility.

There are only UI development is always tough. Planning, graphics, it might intertwined programming to one. When there is an issue to be resolved it is because the director is also hard to make a decision. Gatatneunde the problem is with the program, the film turned out the problem was a matter deonga graphics come frequently. This should solve the structural problems of personal responsibility ahnigie. Apple has an informal organization called DRI operation in order to solve this problem. From here, you're gonna have to record the meeting went. Who has resolved any problems. His name is written perfectly and the staff were so helpful in shaping the cultural Just try to solve the problem somehow feel responsible.

Tara took a lot of effort for a reasonable charge distribution. So the team came to live. Regional service issues all the time in pop, pour out energy inefficient two hours here I went flows. Live configure a dedicated team entirely separate from the internal debate, there emerged the idea of like the emergency room personnel to respond quickly. Not solve the problem without having all the live side, most of the issues could be processed. Of course, if the developer so that it is possible to avoid "live are not my responsibility. Blue Hole is so as not to lose interest in attempting to live under such reorganization steadily. 7. Development and management can not be separated.

Managers hope do NOT touch them in the team. Management and execution of a decision on resource utilization to the organization's objectives. Of course, so do developers are sympathetic to the issued decision, but other issues, essentially think that we must make as part called. In addition, contrary to parallel the developer also advised to study business and management. They also need an attitude that may relate to the decisions of the executive. Otherwise the long term, it is difficult to operate the company. There is also the case from the developing crisis management failures. If you do not inde fun games from big game companies, this is what we need to worry that the developers really a problem. If the system and the environment in which members because they determine the behavior is common. Microsoft has had time to stack ranking system was operational. The extreme look that evaluation system. Some people will receive incentives only 1,000 won, even if some people could not get one. This was identified as factors that inhibit the growth of Microsoft, I turned back again to actually eliminate the institutional growth. Thus the personnel evaluation and compensation system such as this tend to constrain the behavior of a very large developer should be highly creative people who want to create games. This system is also to be oriented only. But the reality is'll appreciate a game to earn money and take care mainly gave out only those commercial game developers. The first place we need to create a better system. Case creativity is successful neomchimyeonseo is also easy to find in Hollywood. I believe that the aforementioned system is the result of settling. We also may need to go so team and management understand each other a little better. 8. Online games are entertainment activities.

Management is also active as a scholar and writer Peter Drucker (Peter Drucker) is 'to buy what our customers happen to be different depending on whether how to define a business' he said. Console games is the same as before. Buy the package. The structure also monthly paying money every month. Are looking at a similar concept called the lease, will buy all the software. That has changed, coming over to free-to-play. Is this item truly software? What we think customers are buying a pleasant experience obtained through the software rather than the software itself. Buy the item, it may be even more fun that it does skimp. Sales experience is a pleasant nature that nothing has changed since the game room. 100 won to buy into just as fun. Only one form changed. The online game is enjoying a number of structures. The reason is because the game is complete with your console is still excellent even online games such features. Ralkka million worth of online gaming. But "World of Warcraft" is naohmyeonseo the story has changed. To make up the majority enjoy a higher basic integrity of the game. Eopji need further explanation. Each year grew by 1 trillion won to make the game. For those who create online games was a good stimulus. Console games are less mature than the perception was eliminated. Of course, as much as WoW pressure to create a handsome but facts. I think that comes out in the relationship maeteum not only fun online game is complete. The Lineage about 15 years in service and good examples. The game has a value in the Community is steadily success, even if times are changing.

In addition, no such a community game elements to the vital pool method. Completion of the 'League of Legends' is also high, but the game itself, I think that the events of the World Cup rolls very big role. Throwing one of the issues with the game, if induced to invest their time pleasantly Maybe it's a good game today do not know that you replace what's coming mobile game is a lot of fun people. But I often think that the game only just got to look mature. There would have to be sure that the game an enjoyable experience. Clash of Clans Ad watching how many people did rejoice Liam Neeson. Oh elements together will help to enjoy the game fun. Likewise, if you can appeal to pleasure our clients how to marketers also have to worry constantly. Game development is also important, however.

The core of the service is good communication with our customers. Terra and the service I've released the UCC costumes, here was a bug. UCC will be glued between the user wearing the same costume skirt is coming. This does not solve heck, even made ​​a lot of market worries. Costumes from Japan because frankly said in tha Twitter. "The skirt has upset bug. That is not resolved heck wrote this', but rather hadeora users are better. Intentionally directing the scene trying to meet user also common. In fact, I think this is a pretty big crisis team, Nani rather listen to user feedback led to good results. Communication with customers and there are a number of ways. Personally, I think the Internet broadcast or offline event that is a big help. Customers will be to make the most of your games with itself is a valuable experience for the user. This experience customers have become fans of our company, I believe that I love long lines.

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/...2811&site=tera

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That's interesting because the main reason I chose Elin was because of the casting animations, as sorcerer; it just felt the best suited for the actions being taken, compared to the mostly hip shaking of the other female races. They looked like they gave it their all, with all of the back-flips, and full body motions, when casting their spells, and it really worked well, with the action combat. I did laugh that JP fetishes made the game so profitable it could go F2P.

I thought it was pretty obvious if any race would save TERA it would be Elins (and then, in swimsuits and shit).

The thighs/hips are legit, it's a weird combo. Never under estimate your loli fan-base I guess.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

95% of the fanart for tera.. is elins (and hentai also)

I'd post more pictures but ragns has broken bg bucket for me >.>

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Well good for BHS I suppose. I really enjoyed Tera and my wife loved both her Castanic and Elin characters. Perhaps this is a sign "cute" is more powerful than "sexy"

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

No... its just a sign that people think Elins are sexy.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

^ p much. It creeps me out personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    ^ p much. It creeps me out personally.
    ^

But gg JP fetishism.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Surprised they never made the adult elins...

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Surprised they never made the adult elins...
    lol i remember that picture they released of the adult elins.

all my money

i only have an elin char because of reaper. Gimme my titty monsters pls