FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

External HDD adaptor?

SOS BG,

So my External pooped out, this has happened before and I just cracked the case open, removed the adaptor, and just plugged it into my Desktop Tower (it's still working 3 years later.) I'm looking to keep this one as an external so I need to replace that little adapter(not sure the name) that plugs into the HDD.

Does anyone know where I can find this part?

(Pictures attached 2 of the part 1 of the HDD)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Get one of these, pop off the front and toss the housing if your target is too big. The box is largely optional anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ97QGE

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Awesome! love you guys :3

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Err, related, but I also have a possibly dead external drive, but I cannot tell if the enclosure has failed or is it the hard drive, but I'm willing to try one of these cables. (The drive powers on a bit, makes a quick click and then powers down... and nothing happens. I can then power it off and then back on again and it'll repeat the same.)

However I'm not sure if it's a 2.5 drive? I mean, from my toying with PC parts back a long time ago, a 3.5 drive is larger than a 2.5 drive (3.5 in desktops, 2.5 in laptops). The product descriptions above suggest 2.5 cable...?

My external drive definitely needs a separate power source (unlike my 2TB portable drive that power off the USB cable) and it's definitely larger than my portable drive.

In 2002/2003 I used to have a SATA cable to USB thing with a power source, but I'm so out of date these days I'm not sure what or which is what. I do recall someone at working having some sort of "dock" that lets you shove a full hard drive into it and connect via USB with a power source separately, but I dunno what you call them .. not seen it in a while.

Edit: apparently I derped and didn't think of searching it like this (considering the amount of searches I do for people for a solution) but I think I found what I need lol:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...s/6619us3.html

edit2: found another: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 (preferred, due to prime)

If anyone can confirm...!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was going to suggest. 2.5" and 3.5" SATA drives use the same power and data layout, you'll be able to plug either size drive in to one of those docks and they'll work fine. A full size drive will just push that little black plastic flap in the picture out of the way...that little cutout is sized for a 2.5" drive.

They make 2 drive versions from a number of vendors as well, should you ever want to quickly dupe a drive or have more than one active at a time.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeh I saw the 2 drive version. I doubt I'll ever need to duplicate. As far as I'm concerned, if I need to duplicate it's probably far less painful to just start afresh.

Thanks for confirming, I made the purchase. Even if my external drive is broke it's not too big of an investment.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

Resin, the IT guy that works in the building we just built ended up having one of those adaptors (the exact same one you linked.) Worked perfectly, still kept my order on Amazon because that things great!

Thanks again!