+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    There's no overt indication that Snoke is even Sith, so it's entirely possible Ren will never be formally a Darth anyway.

It sounds to me like these guys are just piggybacking on limited knowledge of the dark side.

That said, I did think Plagueis too, and would not be surprised.
    I was on the fence about Plagueis, but:

1. There was at least one line at the end that stressed straight-forward: "The Supreme Leader is WISE (Darth Plagueis the Wise was his name)

2. The only reused score beyond the obvious on the official soundtrack is the end of Snoke's theme. Why in the hell would they direct copy the same Plagueis theme from Episode 3, if it isn't him?

3. It would connect all of the movies together perfectly. Otherwise, there is no reason that a random dark side user, seemingly more powerful than Palpatine, arose within 30 years of his death. In the canon, Palpatine sent troopers to far reaches of the outer rim in search of mysterious dark force. It is pretty obvious this is his old master who has been described and shown as scarred and damaged.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Watching "No Spoiler" reviews on youtube, I can't help but feel that majority of the more popular channels are paid shills. I hope RLM delivers.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Planet system that was destroyed.. Coruscant? I don't remember them mentioning the planet by name
    The solar system destroyed was the Hosnian System, of which Coruscant is not a part of.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I thought the Starkiller Base was located in Hosnian System and the 5 planets they destroyed was elsewhere. The Base fired across multiple solar systems. We can deduce it from the fact that in order to get to Starkiller Base, they had to make hyperjumps. Also, in order to power the base they had to drain the sun. What was their plan after they drained it? (Which they did, right before it was blown up.) There was no evidence that the planet itself could move. Furthermore, the amount of solar radiation during the absorption process would literally incinerate all atmophere on the planet. Granted, Star Wars science is never accurate as much as Star Trek science tries to be, but still.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

In the new (post Disney) time-line the Republic was established in the Hosnian System.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

I'm jealous of how knowledgeable all of yall are of these characters backstories and shit. All I got out of last night was that Rey speaks Wookie and R2-D2 so she has to be important, black dude doesn't so clearly he's expendable eventually.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't see how someone could say this movie was slow paced... Shit moved at neck breaking speeds. The only slow part of the movie was when they go talk to that chick and she finds the light saber. The girl that is apparently 1k+ years old that runs that new-age cantina/space port or whatever, I didn't care for at all. The weird glasses. Poor voice. Stupid looking character.

I was enamored by the movie last night, now I'm like a lot of others, nitpicking parts. It's still freaking amazing though and I love it to death.

OH! and how about all the AWESOME subtle details that they threw in there that pay respect to scenes to the original trilogy? There are so many amazing things just in the falcon that refer to scenes from the original movie. So, so awesome. Just genius.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    I don't see how someone could say this movie was slow paced... Shit moved at neck breaking speeds. The only slow part of the movie was when they go talk to that chick and she finds the light saber. The girl that is apparently 1k+ years old that runs that new-age cantina/space port or whatever, I didn't care for at all. The weird glasses. Poor voice. Stupid looking character.

I was enamored by the movie last night, now I'm like a lot of others, nitpicking parts. It's still freaking amazing though and I love it to death.
    All the CGI characters were crap in my opinion. The junkyard owner looked stupid too. But yea definitely super fast paced movie.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Loved this movie through and through. I'm not an EU reader so none of my jimmies were rustled in this film. I really enjoyed the comedy they placed in this one as opposed to the slapstick Lucas tried implementing in 1-3 (Jar Jar interrupting important character arc stories with his toad tongue).

It's basically a direct mirror of IV and I was not disappointed. I feel that this is a great cast and we're gonna see some amazing chemistry on set in the next installments.

I'm just happy to be here.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Thoughts:

- Jin has a pretty kick ass little theater. Thanks again for the invite.

- I think it's pretty cool of JJ Abrams to go against the gender roles and cast Hugo Weaving as Rey.

- Oscar Isaac looks like the quintessential 1970s 45 year old.

- Where are my BB-8 sex robots? Cmon Japan, get those licensing rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I liked how they handled the new characters a lot.

Everyone is saying that the Rey and Fin romance felt too rushed but Poe and Fin were bromancing hard in the two-three scenes they had together. Poe even gave Fin his freaking jacket lol

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I am still trying to make sense of what I watched, so I'll probably keep posting here with more thoughts. One of them is this, if Finn was newly indoctrinated Stormtrooper, whose programming failed, than why does he tell Han that he worked as a Janitor at the Core? Janitors get promoted to Infantry? What kind of fucked up training program does The First Order have?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Like I mentioned earlier, the opening scene on Jakku was his first time in actual combat. He'd obviously been deep in the shit for his entire life but never actually out on the front lines until that moment.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus View Post
    I am still trying to make sense of what I watched, so I'll probably keep posting here with more thoughts. One of them is this, if Finn was newly indoctrinated Stormtrooper, whose programming failed, than why does he tell Han that he worked as a Janitor at the Core? Janitors get promoted to Infantry? What kind of fucked up training program does The First Order have?
    Do you know how many nameless storm troopers die on a daily basis?

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I'm assuming that all low ranking infantry handled some sort of grunt work. It would make sense since they were the only ones inhabiting the planet and someone has to take out the garbage.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, the opening scene on Jakku was his first time in actual combat. He'd obviously been deep in the shit for his entire life but never actually out on the front lines until that moment.
    this, the movie said the First Order kidnapped babies and brainwashed them, and Captain Phasma mentioned Finn's conditioning failed and he was to be sent for reconditioning is the explanation for how the First Order grew so powerful and has so many soldiers.

Also, Finn's conditioning failing probably had something to do with the Force.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If you havent seen it and want to see more of what John Boyega is in, watch Attack the Block

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Or resulted from his first time seeing real combat/seeing a comrade die.

He probably worked a a janitor when he was younger. I could see the First Order using child labor for menial tasks while indoctrinating them and until they're ready to become Storm Troopers.

Also, in addition to his injuries, I get the feeling Luke didn't train Ren to use a lightsaber -- based on not being able to see Luke letting his nephew use an unstable lightsaber. He has it in the flashback (I think), so I assume he built it based on knowledge he could find before his betrayal and hasn't had a lot of lightsaber training beyond that.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ren's unstable lightsaber was supposed to represent both his overall mental/emotional state and generalized lack of training, since he was unable to build a proper one.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Let me tell you, when Kylo Ren was beating on his chest, directly over the wound, that was RAW AS FUCK. Like just raw hatred and emotion as he was trying to muster the strength to keep going against Rey. He definitely channels his grandpa's raw emotion and hatred but in a different and overt way. Also it was pretty cool that JJ Abrams gave almost nothing away about Ren's mindstate and mental alignment. You wouldn't have known dude was so conflicted and childish by looking at the promotionals before the film.

The way his characterization is going, he may yet reach a level of popularity that Vader currently has.

(Probably not, but still.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast