+ Reply to Thread
    Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Unable to connect to microsoft DNS

Been wanting to update to net framework 4.5.1 but I am unable to connect to any part of Microsoft. Also attempts to check for windows updates fail.

Checked for malware, attempts to /ping microsoft.com time out, tried flushing DNS, stopping and restarting DNS services, checked host file for cockblockery, tried going through google 8.8.8.8 DNS, different browsers, and a different PC on my network.

Using Win7 64-bit, Cisco WRT120N v1.0.07 (latest version)

I'm running out of ideas on what it could be on my end before I elevate it to my ISP.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Dumb question but what version of office do you use? I've seen some instances where if you run a bunch of updates including SP1, then install office 2010, then windows goes full retard and won't connect to the update server.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I do not have Office installed.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Have you tried connecting the same PC (or laptop) to like a cell phone 3G/LTE to see if it's not the router's issue?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Somewhat tricky. I use Google Fi and have no service at my house and so have to rely on my router for internet.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Windows update like to take a shit, for a wide variety of reasons. Not being able to update isn't necessarily a DNS issue. Can you resolve names in general? Microsoft drops ICMP so PING will time out, but you'll still resolve the IP.

If you can resolve names in general look at different fixes for failed Windows Update. Is it 'Checking for Updates' forever?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It kicks out error code 8024402C after a minute or so. Last update was 2 1/2 months ago.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

try this

1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services and find the Windows Update service. Stop it.
    2. Go to C:\Windows\ and rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to something like SoftwareDistribution.old
    3. Restart the Windows Update service.
    4. Click the Check for Updates button on the Windows Update screen.
    5. Windows will perform the check - it may take some time, so leave it running. Eventually it will successfully complete.
    6. You can then delete the SoftwareDistribution.old folder.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

http://www.updatexp.com/0x8024402c.html The easiest consolidation of things that causes 0x8024402c that I could find over coffee. See if any of that helps you resolve download.windowsupdate.com and windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

Doing the above can help clear errors as well. It will definitely take some time, so don't give up on it. I'd make sure you can resolve addresses first though.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ended up being my ISP's fault. Some DNS change and I never got contacted for changing it. Being able to pinpoint October 28th as the last time I was able to connect/update from microsoft came in handy because that was the date they swapped things around. Would also explain for the absolute trash U/D speeds for the last few months as well.