+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Half the people I know stopped playing FF games because they hated 9, the other half liked it.
    I don't know how they managed to like the older titles then, FF9 returned the series to its medivel roots and brought the concepts of FF1 to a then current era which is what made 9 so amazing.
    I know a lot of people that hated the card system because they could figure out what any of the numbers ment when the game straight up told you, left to right Attack, Physical/Magical/Special, Defense, Magic Defense is what the values were for.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Damn this game is way too big for some reason, I only recall it being like 1.7ish GB on the PSP/vita but now it requires 4~8 GB lol. I gotta find a way to put it on my SD card or root my phone (no idea how.)
    http://imgur.com/S0l2C3J

Skipping cutscenes is going to be very nice, I hope its a thing that makes its way on steam. If that's the case hello defacto speedrun platform.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Lets be real. People hated the card system because its shit compared to Triple Triad.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Lets be real. People hated the card system because its shit compared to Triple Triad.
    ^ Triple Triad is the superior minigame. I literally replay the entirety of FF8 just cause I love triple triad.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I don't know how they managed to like the older titles then, FF9 returned the series to its medivel roots and brought the concepts of FF1 to a then current era which is what made 9 so amazing.
    Its not hard to dislike it and like the older ones.
    The older FF games aren't slow as molasses, for one. The older FFs generally weren't so easily broken so early on with such little effort. Not saying they are hard or anything but Quina's Limit Glove? Now that's just stupid. Plenty of other reasons you could easily like older FFs and not like FFIX.

Its one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games for a whole host of reasons and most of them basically boil down to the fact that the game is much more of a chore to play than any of the others.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Meh, there's something that's broken in just about every final fantasy. Hell if you know step manipulation, you can beat the first FF in a couple hours because the bane sword works on every boss including chaos.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    Its not hard to dislike it and like the older ones.
    The older FF games aren't slow as molasses, for one. The older FFs generally weren't so easily broken so early on with such little effort. Not saying they are hard or anything but Quina's Limit Glove? Now that's just stupid. Plenty of other reasons you could easily like older FFs and not like FFIX.

Its one of my least favorite Final Fantasy games for a whole host of reasons and most of them basically boil down to the fact that the game is much more of a chore to play than any of the others.
    That's straight up bullshiting or ignorance since FFVIII is by FAR the most easily broken game in the series and has much slower battles than IX because of longer animations and level scaling enemies. FFII is also easily broken but that's a much older game. I should also mention that even with synthesis and the ability and equipment system FFIX is probably the least grindy game in the series.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Agreed on the grinding of VIII being shitty, fights with summons were annoying when the summon animation lasted longer than the battle.

X was worse with the Ultimate Weapon quests.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I think it was an age thing for my friends. 7 came out at the perfect time and 8 wasn't too bad, but by the time 9 hit they weren't interested in that type of game or pacing anymore. For me that was halfway through 10, and halfway through 12 when I caught myself grinding something and realized my time grinding would be better spent grinding in ffxi/wow.

IX's my least favorite PS1 era FF. I know some cling to the whole "getting back to its roots" thing by going more medieval than sci-fi/magitek, but there wasn't a whole lot of memorable plot that came with that jump. Use of Garland and the elementals also seemed like a convenient case of "just because we could" than any real attempt to link it all to I. And Necron.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely View Post
    That's straight up bullshiting or ignorance since FFVIII is by FAR the most easily broken game in the series and has much slower battles than IX because of longer animations and level scaling enemies. FFII is also easily broken but that's a much older game. I should also mention that even with synthesis and the ability and equipment system FFIX is probably the least grindy game in the series.
    I'll chalk this up to it being ignorance on your end. While FFVIII is broken (they all are)... FFIX takes far less effort to break.
    You'll one shotting bosses near the start of the game as soon as you get Limit Glove (which you can get almost as soon as you get Quina) and to activate it you need nothing more than a couple of phoenix downs and a couple of minutes.

I'll excuse your ignorance on the matter but there's no way in the world that any game is more easily broken in half than FFIX.
    You don't even really have to go out of your way in FFIX. I figured out getting Limit Glove to 9999 damage my first playthrough of the game while still early on 'cause its just 2+2. Of course I hold back from using it because its not really fun but its ridiculous.
    And are you really going to claim that FFVIII is slower than FFIX? That's laughable.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
    I'll excuse your ignorance on the matter but there's no way in the world that any game is more easily broken in half than FFIX.
    Star Ocean 2?

Otherwise I completely agree with you.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Use of Garland and the elementals also seemed like a convenient case of "just because we could" than any real attempt to link it all to I.
    This point I don't understand. The game goes to great lengths to explain what's happened.

Garland (the dark wizard/antagonist from FF1) attempted to use the most powerful magic spell, Fusion, to meld Terra with Gaia.
    The Fusion only partially took, and therefore failed, stranding Garland, his Four Fiends, and the Terran souls in limbo between worlds.

Evidence of the failed Fusion is present all over the place. For example, entering the big doors in Esto Gaza only to find THE Gulug Volcano from FF1 inside is meant to be a huge "reveal" to veteran FF players -- surprising evidence of the failed Fusion. "This is the bonafide Gulug from FF1, not a re-creation. How in the shit did it get here?"

After his failure, Garland was too old and weak to continue his work, so he created an automaton version of himself to harness his own soul and carry on his legacy: the dark armored fellow we know as the Garland of FF9, who continues to shepherd the Terran souls. After his success This FF9 Garland automaton created the Genomes; the most powerful Genome in turn created the Black Mages. Playing god is a big theme in this game.

Necron comes fuck-all out of nowhere, though. No one will ever justify his last-minute inclusion. Will always be the best and proverbial example in gaming of a deus ex "Who the fuck are you and why are we suddenly fighting?" final boss.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Star Ocean 2?

Otherwise I completely agree with you.
    I will concede that point but I actually meant in the mainline Final Fantasy series. Its my fault for not making that clear though.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    This point I don't understand. The game goes to great lengths to explain what's happened.

Garland (the dark wizard/antagonist from FF1) attempted to use the most powerful magic spell, Fusion, to meld Terra with Gaia.
    The Fusion only partially took, and therefore failed, stranding Garland, his Four Fiends, and the Terran souls in limbo between worlds.

Evidence of the failed Fusion is present all over the place. For example, entering the big doors in Esto Gaza only to find THE Gulug Volcano from FF1 inside is meant to be a huge "reveal" to veteran FF players -- surprising evidence of the failed Fusion. "This is the bonafide Gulug from FF1, not a re-creation. How in the shit did it get here?"

After his failure, Garland was too old and weak to continue his work, so he created an automaton version of himself to harness his own soul and carry on his legacy: the dark armored fellow we know as the Garland of FF9, who continues to shepherd the Terran souls. After his success This FF9 Garland automaton created the Genomes; the most powerful Genome in turn created the Black Mages. Playing god is a big theme in this game.

Necron comes fuck-all out of nowhere, though. No one will ever justify his last-minute inclusion. Will always be the best and proverbial example in gaming of a deus ex "Who the fuck are you and why are we suddenly fighting?" final boss.
    Yu Yevon

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Yu Yevon
    We heard about yu yevon during the game tho

Necron we never heard about it till after kuja

I know it's been at least 15 years since I played the game through, and one of my big critiques is that the plot was forgettable. While I understand you want to assert they went to great lengths to try and link the two, apparently it wasn't enough for me.

The regression to a more chibi art style also put off a fair number of people, which further made it difficult to latch onto any form of characterization. I couldn't ever really bring myself to care Vivi wasn't human. Zidane's identity crisis felt like a plot slog. Anything involving Quina I just wanted over with ASAP. Emo teenage boys might've been the only one who liked Amarant. Fuck all the rat people. And Beatrix is best girl even if she never makes it to the main party. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one thought Garnet could never possibly be the legit daughter of that hambeast queen, but I'm sure the bigger fanboys would like to pass it off as makeup or her taking more after her father.

Either way, I guess I've never really liked the argument that Final Fantasy is supposed to be medieval. I mean, yeah, I prefer it to tech-heavy versions like XIII, but even I utilized the ancient advanced civilization trope with Tiamat's tower and the general handwaving that a floaty stone could make a ship fly. Garland, as presented in I, gave no real indication of being tech-savvy, so even with some time loop shenanigans (particularly with being defeated by the WoL twice), it's difficult to say his IX counterpart legitimately fits and isn't just SE hoping we accept it over a decade later because I's plot was bare bones. Frankly, I'd rather take Dissidia's approach to inter-connectivity with the Cloud of Darkness, which XI even recently played off of with RoV. So, call it all an homage, fine, but it's a pretty hard sell to me that the I and IX worlds wind up linked.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I understand your position and certainly respect your tastes. Some of the characters really lack definition and end up as boring JRPG tropes we've heard a dozen times over in every Tales or Atelier game. FF9 isn't for everyone; as we've mentioned a few times already, fans of ye Squaresoft of olde are quite divided over this title. Granted, while I can't defend your lack of interest in the plot being your excuse for not understanding it, I can definitely understand where and why you have hangups.

I dunno... Final Fantasy used to be this special thing neither limited by nor subject to any particular genre, era, or demographic. It slowly evolved from medieval grinds, to steampunk, to future punk. Just look where we arrived with the 10th title -- an outsider's tagalong journey through an apocalyptic Polynesia of sorts. That setting was original as hell. We got boring and formulaic again by the 12th game, but the 9th was more than mere homage. It's a true gaiden: a friendly romp dripping with nostalgia and drowing in allusion. Its detail is endless. I learn something new of the lore with each playthrough, and am not ashamed to admit I've started at least 2 dozen new games over the years. I'm happy to make this port my 25th.

There's an investment required, but there's good reason both Sakaguchi and Uematsu have voiced this was their favorite title to produce. Be warned: my lenses on this subject are of the rosiest tint, but I could talk about this game for days without breaking a smile.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

I feel the same way although I might be a bit biased as this was my first ever FF game.

Banned.

BG Level

Anyone who started with 7 won't like 9, because they were under the impression Final Fantasy was a completely different thing than it actually is, so 9 comes out and is actually like the first 6 Final Fantasy games completely breaking their illusion of what they thought Final Fantasy was and it confuses and angers them so they automatically dislike it (people don't like change and they don't like feeling "lied" to, or betrayed) so 9 was the bastard stepchild of the PS1 era for that reason

9 was of course amazing and extremely under-appreciated because it unfortunately came out at an inopportune time when the wrong kind of fanbase had attached to the series due to the previous 2 games

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Pulling from the wiki that explains how Necron just pops up into the world, although the game fails to explain it for us.

Rejecting the point of life entirely if one is doomed to die, Kuja tries to destroy the origin of all life, the crystal. His will to end all life summons Necron, a being who wants to take the world to the Zero World where nothing can exist, to release Kuja and all other beings of the world from the suffering of existence. The word "Necron" means "death", and thus gives the final battle a symbolic meaning. In the end, life triumphs over death when Zidane and his friends prove to Necron they want to live despite the knowledge they will die one day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast