1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 48 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 11 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -6 hours, -12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 15 hours, 11 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Year Greeting     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

New Year Greeting

Well. if Diadem is to Sky as Gerun is to Sea..

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

But it is my hope for 2016 that we remember how it feels to be a new player, and I want to keep this in mind as we move forward together.
    Please god why

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Please god why
    Because those are the only people who will sub for more than 3 months a year.

"For hate of the Star, to seas He cast His doom."

Who's the star? Elidibus? Unukalhai? Who betrayed Zodiark?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

The star is the planet, Hydaelyn. It's a very archaic term used frequently since 2.55. Gerun was mentioned in the MSQ, it's pretty much like the Dead Sea Scrolls (and the Occuria dude from XII).

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gerun

The Moon is, ofc, likely Zodiark. On the surface of the moon at the end of 3.0 there's a destroyed Zodiark statue (like the one in the Chrysalis) and Zodiark's sigil from XII is also hidden in the sands (much like the Ascians wear the Esper Sigils on their faces corresponding to their XII-Scion name; Cuchulainn in Void Ark also has his XII Sigil plastered on his stomach)

The poem circles back to Ramuh (lol) "for light and dark given form when man was born" etc. Some primordial god shit going on, potentially either pulling a fucking "this is all final fantasy mythos" explaining each game as a sea (and why crossover so possible ecks dee)

tl;dr star is Hydaelyn (planet), Hydaelyn (goddess) had kids, put them in the sea (prob mortals)
    Zodiark mad af, sends his "doom" to plague the kids (prob ascians)

another popular interpretation of the fourteen seas are the Astral/Umbral Eras (we're up to 14 now) and the Twelve (who are really 13 + Zodiark = 14)

If you're gonna add Zodiark to the 12 then you should add the goddess as well and count Nald'thal as one.

Do we know if the goddess has a sign or a sigil similar to the Twelve's? If not then could it be possible that Zodiark is an Ascian and not a "God" tier? And Hydaelyn too. A renegade Ascian (think FFXII Venat)?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I never noticed that Cuchulainn had the glyph marks on his stomach, which going by FFXII's scions of light/dark, means he's supposedly opposite to Nabriales. So that's the 3rd appearance of the light/dark scion motif from FFXII, Zodiark being the opposite to Elibdus (his Ascian mask bears Zodiac's glyph) and Belias opposite to Loghrif (though we never see his Ascian mask and Belias is in Egi form.)

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post

But it is my hope for 2016 that we remember how it feels to be a new player, and I want to keep this in mind as we move forward together.

Please god why

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I took the sea mentions literally as meaning ocean expansion since it was mentioned that Yoshi chose sky over sea for Heavensward.