Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Preventing getting stuck between zones downloading data

Bug: Character randomly gets stuck while zoning. Relogging doesn't work. Other characters behind the same router are fine. Someone logging on the affected character from another connection works fine.

Bandaid fix: Reboot router or wait a while.

Possible prevention: Add FFXI port forwarding to your router (ports listed here: http://support.na.square-enix.com/fa...&c=5&sc=0&so=0)

Can people who get hit by this bug try applying the port forwarding and report if it goes away after a few weeks (or report if the bug is still hit)? I know FFXI works most of the time without explicit port forwarding, but this bug pops up maybe once a week for some people. I've been clean for a few weeks but want to verify if this is a real fix or just lucky voodoo.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Have a second pc/laptop/ps2 and log in from there and zone your char around to fix it

Its REALLY annoying

I've long been of the mind this is SE auto-flagging an IP when something wonky happens with a packet, as the attainment of a new IP address always seemed to make it go away for me while doing nothing has had it last for well over a day. Unfortunately, if you're on Comcast like I am, you can't just press a few buttons and get a new one assigned, you've gotta unplug your modem and wait a few hours hoping it just gets assigned to someone else who comes up on their routine renewal.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I had this happen to me for a night a few weeks ago, but it simultaneously happened to a bunch of people on Reddit and they made a thread about it.

I'm leaning towards a "...the internet is a series of tubes..." explanation.

arus, have you tried a quick power cycle (instead of 5 min unplug)? I'm looking for data on success/fails on that.

byrth, that makes me think it could be packets dropped during zoning due to poopy internet hops between us and japan... like how pcs/npcs disappeared often a few weeks ago. but i dunno packet stuff. is there a way we can force packet drops during zoning to try and reproduce the bug?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I had absolutely no luck resetting my router and fixing the problem. I just couldn't log in to my main character at all for 5 hours and then it eventually fixed itself around 1AM.

My theory at the time was that I had dropped while transferring between zone servers, so SE's servers just didn't have a place to connect me to when I logged in.

Here was the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...ia_north_down/

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I had absolutely no luck resetting my router and fixing the problem. I just couldn't log in to my main character at all for 5 hours and then it eventually fixed itself around 1AM.

My theory at the time was that I had dropped while transferring between zone servers, so SE's servers just didn't have a place to connect me to when I logged in.

Here was the reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen...ia_north_down/
    It was something related to western A and mog garden zones servers. I could log onto any character that night that wasn't in these areas and was fine but when I tried to zone a mule into the garden they got stuck and I could no longer log into that mule. I have a feeling it was that zone server maybe rejecting people from zoning into it or something along those lines so you got stuck in limbo until they fixed it.

I think a character getting stuck in a zone that has crashed is a separate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycatrag View Post
    arus, have you tried a quick power cycle (instead of 5 min unplug)? I'm looking for data on success/fails on that.
    Quickest I'd ever been able to get back in was about 30 minutes after it happened. Average usually lasted 3 hours, but the worst was closest to 36. Either way, whenever I intentionally try to get a new IP, I always have my router page open. Quick cycles or 5m unplugs are rarely enough to get a new assignment.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog View Post
    It was something related to western A and mog garden zones servers. I could log onto any character that night that wasn't in these areas and was fine but when I tried to zone a mule into the garden they got stuck and I could no longer log into that mule. I have a feeling it was that zone server maybe rejecting people from zoning into it or something along those lines so you got stuck in limbo until they fixed it.
    I had my mule on in Port Jeuno (and could log him back on every time I tried with no issues), but couldn't log in to Port Jeuno on my main.

I've been having this issue with my mule on the same PC everyday for the past two or three weeks.
    Originally I thought resetting the modem and router was the only thing that worked. Recently I've found that doing an ipconfig /release for 20 seconds and then ipconfig /renew also seems to do the trick without having disrupt everyone else on the same network with a modem/router reset.
    I am still getting r0/dc/stuck in downloading daily though, which is getting really annoying. Reinstalling the game didn't help either. I will try the port forwarding and report back.

-EDIT- It's been 11 days and haven't had a crash since using the port forwarding trick. Thanks for posting this!