+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    Restrict weaponry all you want, but it'll just change how people go about it.
    ...right, that's the goal. Murders become aggravated assaults when you aren't using guns. Less lethal is obviously a significant improvement. Murder is bad.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    This, generally. I remember with a number of British LS mates, the general reaction of going into London was "OMG, I could get stabbed", much like some people think going into LA or NYC means you're gonna end up shot.
    And I seem to remember when I looked into it, when you adjust for population, the rates were close enough. No matter where you go, some people are just willing to fuck other people up, and they will use whatever method is available to them.

Restrict weaponry all you want, but it'll just change how people go about it. If you really want the numbers down, you have to address the reasons people are killing each other.
    According to conservatives, it's because of abortion. Abortion = lack of values and not valuing life.

I asked my mom if she would join the yeehawd but she said she can't cause she has a job so maybe those losers in oregon and missouri should try that.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I asked my mom if she would join the yeehawd but she said she can't cause she has a job so maybe those losers in oregon and missouri should try that.
    The irony of they're also on welfare...lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Welfare and begging for supplies.

Should send them a box of boot straps lol.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    ...right, that's the goal. Murders become aggravated assaults when you aren't using guns. Less lethal is obviously a significant improvement. Murder is bad.
    This is something people tend to forget.

Getting stabbed sucks balls. You have a lot higher chance of surviving a knife fight, and there is a greater chance less people will be injured/killed in a knife fight.

With that said, Cantih does have a good point that we somehow have to work on the gun culture itself. But I see comments like this without realizing how it helps feed gun culture:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnus View Post
    I love guns, and want to own some some day, but I hate gun culture.
    Loving guns takes it to a higher level than just wanting to own some. You don't have to be feverish over guns to help continue gun culture.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Or even a fetish with it. If you want a gun, buy a gun.

But keep it someplace safe and locked. Take lessons on handling it. And if you hear weird noises in the night don't make it the first thing you grab for unless you're damned sure the guy is not friendly.

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'd love to be an owner at this point, except MA's gun application is a literal four month process including

1: Letters of recommendation from two to three unrelated people I've known for more than five years. (Don't have the recommendations? Tough shit.)
    2: Background check(Which I'm totally fine with and feel that more states should expand)
    3: A face to face appointment with the police chief, which almost always gets rescheduled last minute to gauge how you react. The chief can use this interview to scrap your application even if everything else comes up clean.

It's not even worth doing right now because my wife and I are saving for a house, and my safety course cert expired a while ago. Buying the proper storage, getting re-certified, and paying the application fee are really low on my priority list at the moment.

Love may have been a strong word. I only really want to own three guns. A hunting rifle, a revolver (Chiappa Rhino), and a 0.22LR target pistol.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Btw, this is bullshit if true

California, anything with a fixed blade (like a sword) must be worn in plain view. But sheathed knives worn openly are not considered illegal concealed weapons. However, if you're carrying a cane sword, you can be charged with a misdemeanor.In Texas, illegal knives are described as knives with blades longer than 5.5 inches, along with swords. Still, swords are legal to carry if they are being used in historical demonstrations or ceremonies in which the sword is "significant to the performance of the ceremony."In New York, possession of a cane sword is a misdemeanor, but it can become a felony if it is a sword-carrier's second or third offense.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

@Ragnus: Holy crap that's some bullshit. Getting a scheduled board with an O-4+ was a pain in the ass (And that was to qualify a watch that helped the ship's watchbill). I can't imagine trying to get an interview with a police chief just to own a weapon.

That's not even talking the letter. What the fuck even qualifies them? Do they need evidence of you two in a picture, have lived in MA? Jesus I'd have to hit up some A-School friends or some people from California.

Also, California's laws are weird. Al Jazeera did a video detailing what could/couldn't be legal. In short, assembling two parts together can be illegal (And a felony) but owning them is fine and dandy.

I can imagine it to be a lot easier to ban a sword rather than a gun. Hell, California banned brass knuckles.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    Btw, this is bullshit if true
    I can't speak to Texas, and NY, but the CA ones are true.
    But a blade worn openly, sheathed or not, you know the person has a weapon and can act accordingly.
    With a cane sword, you assume it's a cane and not a sword, you do not know there's a weapon, and can't act accordingly.

This is the same reason that, historically in CA, concealed carry has been fairly restricted, while open carry wasn't against state law.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I think you mean might. Like the ones where the person isn't intending to commit murder and were still planning on bringing a gun they might stop at assault if they didn't have a gun. Murderers still gunna murder.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Love may have been a strong word. I only really want to own three guns. A hunting rifle, a revolver (Chiappa Rhino), and a 0.22LR target pistol.
    Don't get me wrong in that I know from your posting history you are pretty levelheaded. And it may sound like nitpicking, but if we want to change gun culture it has to start with how we view them.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'd love to be an owner at this point, except MA's gun application is a literal four month process including

1: Letters of recommendation from two to three unrelated people I've known for more than five years. (Don't have the recommendations? Tough shit.)
    2: Background check(Which I'm totally fine with and feel that more states should expand)
    3: A face to face appointment with the police chief, which almost always gets rescheduled last minute to gauge how you react. The chief can use this interview to scrap your application even if everything else comes up clean.

It's not even worth doing right now because my wife and I are saving for a house, and my safety course cert expired a while ago. Buying the proper storage, getting re-certified, and paying the application fee are really low on my priority list at the moment.

That's almost like the process for me to get a fully automatic, suppressor, or SBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiye View Post

I can imagine it to be a lot easier to ban a sword rather than a gun. Hell, California banned brass knuckles.
    Are you talking about buying them/Owning them? Because I'm nearly 100% every state will have a law about carrying brass knuckles. Despite being sold as paperweights, I can't think of any purpose to carry brass knuckles other than to fuck someones shit up.(inb4 someones says "what about carrying guns"; I don't carry on my person) The thing I think is stupid is the apparent ban on switchblades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Don't get me wrong in that I know from your posting history you are pretty levelheaded. And it may sound like nitpicking, but if we want to change gun culture it has to start with how we view them.
    As something other than fucking awesome?

yea guns are pretty great

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As far as I remember people have gotten in trouble for skipping brass knuckles out to CA. There's been at least one game dev company that's done it.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FNH View Post
    As something other than fucking awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    yea guns are pretty great
    They really are the best when people aren't being the worst with them.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Posted in other thread but relevant here too

“You know, there is a loophole here. We should address that.”

— Paul Ryan in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in 2013, on the gun show loophole.

“There is no loophole… This is a distraction.”

— Paul Ryan statement in 2016 via an AP correspondent

His NRA-brand weather vane shifted.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

NRA is honestly too stronk. The fact that a policy wonk like Paul Ryan got turned really speaks to their influence.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag