+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

One problem after another.

My motherboard had faulty RAM slots so I just got my RMA replacement motherboard. Now my computer freezes randomly buy audio continues to play, I can even hear people on TS talking but nothing responds. Did I get another faulty motherboard?

Edit: MAy as well add

Asus Maximus VI Hero
    16GB Corsair Vegence 2133
    EVGA Super Nova NEX Gold+ 650w

I was getting MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors as well as all the bluescreen viewer info pointing towards RAM errors. Replaced the RAM but still got the BSOD so I RMAed my motherboard, now this is happening.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

what is your video card

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Opps 980ti

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So the troubleshooting process is to eliminate components one at a time if possible. Your 16 GB of RAM is probably 4x4 or 8x2?

Use one stick at a time, see if the problem occurs. If you don't get it with one stick, try each slot on the mobo one at a time, running it in situations where it has occurred before.

If that works, you've verified the DIMM slots on the mobo and that one DIMM is good. You can then try the other DIMM in there, in any of the good slots.

Ideally you would repeat this process for the video card, but most people don't have 2x980ti. If the board has a basic VGA output, you could deal with crappy graphics for a while as part of the troubleshooting process, or buy a card from best buy just for troubleshooting and return it when you are done.

I've seen A LOT of these problems and don't ignore the possibility of your PSU going bad. Bad PSUs do the damndest things. I think I've replaced 3 or 4 already this year at work.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Also check your BIOS flash.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

are you getting a driver crash by chance? I was getting that and the only thing being affected was visual and it caused a black screen for a bit then came back and the game would either be crashed or running likeass

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't know if it's a driver crash cause I can't alt-f4, alt-tab, pull up task manager or anything. I sat there for a while trying to see if it would recover but no luck either. Attempting 1 stick and rolled back drivers to test as well.

You don't need the computer to recover-in-session to find out information, as long as the computer will load up after you reset it long enough. Just use the crash dumps. For nVidia you can find more information here. Does kinda sound like the power is unstable though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Can't seem to pull up the crash dumps, putting %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps into run tells me there is no folder. Unless it's different for windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Siya View Post
    Can't seem to pull up the crash dumps, putting %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps into run tells me there is no folder. Unless it's different for windows 10.
    That's most likely because you haven't enabled them as per the first link.

did you buy 4Gbx2)x2 ram, or did you buy 8Gbx2 ram

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

8gb x2

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I feel this is the same problem I had before, it's been like 3 weeks since I froze and now I just froze again, similar to how I used to BSOD but now I just freeze.

Have you looked into what your AI Suite 3 is boosting your turbo to?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I used to use AI suite but eventually learned how to manually OC. I also haven't OCed since I replaced my mobo.

AU Suite might be boosting the turbo anyway. I'd check it and see if the TPU has any changes from 3400