1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 10 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 49 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 49 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
    The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

the truly sad part of that joke is that i already blow through the content they drop in each patch even with the gating. it just makes it more annoying.

you cant stop the grind, yoshiP.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Never understood nor supported the idea of someone being pushed off of their main job due to the whims of others. As far as I see it, you join a static as the job you applied with and are expected to carry through with that skill set unless both parties absolutely agree to a change. If anything, expansion releases are the time for group meta shifting.
    So here's the full deal:

At 2.5, we had WAR PLD WHM SCH BRD(me) NIN BLM BLM. Obviously, people are going to want to play new jobs on release, which was planned as:

BRD->MCH, WHM->MCH, BLM->AST, PLD->WHM, SCH->PLD

(of course, this is when we thought the new jobs would be broken at release like SMN/SCH/NIN, lolz)

Come A1S release with two MCHs, we were having problems meeting DPS checks; additionally, our PLD->WHM had medical issues and couldn't play. Given the meta at the time, our PLD went back to SCH, and our 2nd MCH went to DRK for the team (and we recruited a MNK, which is much easier than recruiting a tank or healer). So in effect, this IS a (delayed) meta shift from expansion release; the two players (currently: DRK & SCH) that went to roles they didn't want For The Good Of The Team are now getting their chance to change that was originally planned for HW.

Basically, it's all the same problems of already-filled-roles that was in XI, only in this game statics are both rigid and fragile, so sometimes people have to play a role they don't want to if they want to stay together (or, put another way: if they want to continue playing this game).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    the truly sad part of that joke is that i already blow through the content they drop in each patch even with the gating. it just makes it more annoying.

you cant stop the grind, yoshiP.
    The only reason they gate all the time is because they have so little to do. I really wish they would make caps "raise" each week but never "reset". It would help prevent burnout, punish people less for missing weeks/not starting ontime (new players/returning players) and also remove some of the barriers to entry for things like crafting. I'd be tempted to gear out a crafter if this was the case, but being behind on crafting no matter what I do just means i'll wait until 3.2

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

if I was asked to play something else. i'd probally just quit. I feel like T9 exposed me as an average DPS. i'm good enough to do good dps in dungeons but not on the level needed for raids. heck I cant even figure out scholars dps rotation. on Ast I can pull close to 900 dps. I can spike above 1k on sch but I cant maintain it like I can on Ast. i'm sure people would say i'm bad in a raid team with a whm/Ast comp. I really don't get why scholars are so toxic torwards astro's but you don't see the same from whm's. maybe it's a side effect of bandwagon Sch's. I cant remember if rangers were like that back before they were nerfed on FF11.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    The only reason they gate all the time is because they have so little to do. I really wish they would make caps "raise" each week but never "reset". It would help prevent burnout, punish people less for missing weeks/not starting ontime (new players/returning players) and also remove some of the barriers to entry for things like crafting. I'd be tempted to gear out a crafter if this was the case, but being behind on crafting no matter what I do just means i'll wait until 3.2
    Switching their intentions to people gearing multiple jobs (that players would also play in content) at a given time with top-iLv. gear in a given cycle simultaneously would be a start; I don't know if it would reduce fatigue with their limited scope content design though, to any appreciable extent. They're going to have to do something as far as their inability to put a lot of content out and their manpower issues are concerned with respect to their vertical progression model.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    if I was asked to play something else. i'd probally just quit. I feel like T9 exposed me as an average DPS. i'm good enough to do good dps in dungeons but not on the level needed for raids. heck I cant even figure out scholars dps rotation. on Ast I can pull close to 900 dps. I can spike above 1k on sch but I cant maintain it like I can on Ast. i'm sure people would say i'm bad in a raid team with a whm/Ast comp. I really don't get why scholars are so toxic torwards astro's but you don't see the same from whm's. maybe it's a side effect of bandwagon Sch's. I cant remember if rangers were like that back before they were nerfed on FF11.
    Semi-indirectly replying, but it's probably no surprise people want to play/play with a well designed job like WAR or SCH (and SMN or WHM to a lesser extent). AST still has a shitty reputation and admittedly i'm not very fond of it outside of the neato times RNG favors cards I care about.

I guess it's King Dick in Seal Rock at least, so that's something?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I dunno about "well-designed". People have been calling SCH a hot mess for its entire existence due to all the dps concepts it keeps from SMN + having a summon that dispenses free heals. It's strong because of the split with SMN, if you want to call that good conceptual design I guess you can but I think it was more like an accident. Everyone knows it's broken and so far SE has not nerfed it down by any appreciable level. WAR is simply flavor of the year until it gets nerfed though. Bandwagoners will hop to whichever job gets mega-buffed next.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    I cant remember if rangers were like that back before they were nerfed on FF11.

I don't think it's possible to be toxic based on class in 11 outside of everyone hating dragoons. Although I do remember earlier in my ffxi career I would call people out on not being able to perform in general which kind of earned me a bit of a dickish rep. Never could understand why people would waste others time by not bringing the proper meds to get to camp. . .

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

And the sad part was DRG only got hate initially because they could no longer spam Penta Thrust back to back essentially, something that even affected SAMs too.

The difference being there was more to what SAMs could do than penta-spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    The difference being there was more to what SAMs could do than penta-spam.

Yeah they could distortion so the black mage can time his freeze on the skillchain

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Can't wait for SAM in FFXIV. We all know it will be OP. They cut dungeons down to 2 per patch to put in enough resources to do SAM correctly in 4.0.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    Can't wait for SAM in FFXIV. We all know it will be OP. They cut dungeons down to 2 per patch to put in enough resources to do SAM correctly in 4.0.
    Then they cut dungeons down to 1 per patch in order to introduce unique armor so it doesn't share Maiming with DRG.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Then they cut dungeons down to 1 per patch in order to introduce unique armor so it doesn't share Maiming with DRG.

SAM will have relic questline armor. Where you get a piece and then upgrade like Anima weapons. It will be awesome, fun and engaging but only for SAM. They will use this quest to explain why SAM is so OP. There will also be SAM materia with cool effects like DA and -DT.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Then they lower raid difficulty because people complain about not being able to complete them with 30% of the optimal output of the class.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Since it's a new class they want to test out talent trees making it the only class that can tank, heal, and dps.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

you mean the talent trees we are no longer getting due to casuals? it seems like yoshie often promises a feature we would want then renigs in a later interview. remember hybrid role guys?

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    SAM will have relic questline armor. Where you get a piece and then upgrade like Anima weapons. It will be awesome, fun and engaging but only for SAM. They will use this quest to explain why SAM is so OP. There will also be SAM materia with cool effects like DA and -DT.
    Your hopes are higher for this and more cringe than what they were for DRK lol.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

They need to get rid of the following abilties in 4.0, something akin to a sensible wishlist

Sheltron: Useless unless for blocking an anticipated big attack (I hope there are now adds on you). Forcing a block once which can trigger on auto attack is depressing and pointless, not really a game changer. Adjust it to block everything for 1 second maybe and we can talk. As far as I am concerned, even FFXI's Reprisal spell outdoes this move by a massive margin in terms of usefulness

Execution style moves (Mercy Stroke/Assassinate): Pointless fill ability that lets nets you an extra attack every 40s for WAR/NIN and 90s for everyone else. It is so insignificant I wonder why they even put it there in the first place. It's obviously a rip off of WoW's Warrior's Execute, but unlike Mercy Stroke this move is deadly efficient and becomes your Rage (resource) dump and deals tremendous damage with no cooldown, for as long as you build resources to use it. Oddly enough BRD's Misery's End is every 12 seconds

Second Wind: This ability is so sad. Woohoo I can heal myself for 1000~2000 which by that time the healer would've topped me up already. It's not scaling well with our gear.

Hot Shot/Straight Shot/Heavy Thrust: Keeping up this buff is annoying and not satisfying

I've not touched MNK yet on their new abilities but from my assessment it's all useless except Form Shift, allowing you to be slightly more efficient when initiating combat.
    Meditation is useless unless pre-fight/idle, I suppose handy during fights with phase changes but otherwise a player won't use it midfight for it's a DPS loss, which further makes Forbidden Chakra useless (1 per fight/pull only, sort of) and also Purification useless (we can invigorate... do they not know?! It's not even worth a hotbar space unless it's a massive AOE fight)
    And loltornadokick, but I guess phase change fights are good if Greased Lightning will drop

Give MNK a move that can help extend Grease Lightning on an idle basis maybe...

Maybe if (lol) jobs get a massive rehaul and gives us an additional resource bar NOT TP, but this might exaggerate the complaints of people not playing optimally because it'll further complex things... so...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hioki Mitone
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

They could always give us the adrenaline bar from pvp with some unique abilities that use it up to open or close skill chains. Create some debuffs when you close them and go from there. But that would be too much work for our development team.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Hioki View Post
    They could always give us the adrenaline bar from pvp with some unique abilities that use it up to open or close skill chains. Create some debuffs when you close them and go from there. But that would be too much work for our development team.
    I could see samurai being like a combination of mnk and nin. you use attacks freeform without a combo bonus but can make skillchains by using attacks in the correct order to create various effects on the mob.

Teach me your ways! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNn76r5ke5c