• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

XIV Freezing Computer at Launch... Maybe Deeper Problem?

This morning I noticed my computer got stuck in BIOS loading for maybe 1-2 minutes before going to the OS. This is the first time I have noticed this problem (as it normally boots up into windows desktop in under 30 seconds), so I shut down my computer again and then it booted just fine.

However when I go to boot up XIV it now seems to immediately freeze my computer or it gets to the loading screen and then freezes my computer. I have had 0 problems before and only thing different with my computer is I upgraded to a 980 Ti last week (but have had 0 computer issues until right now - not even last night).

When I try to load other games like Guild Wars 2 I have no problems, so I am assuming its just XIV. Any idea what this could be? Its every time I start up XIV as of this morning.

Only thing I can think of is that XIV is on my SSD while GW2 is on my HD

edit: Just DL'd crystaldisk and it shows my HD's as being in good/100% condition

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe try running the heavensward benchmark in dx9 and dx11 modes for a bit, or run the game in dx9 mode, and see if it continues to hang. Did you do a clean install of nvidia drivers upon upgrade (just to be safe)? Maybe kill whatever nvidia has that tries and detects games outside of the normal drivers (like amd has raptr as a default addon/semi-junkware, don't remember if nvidia included something like that).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I always do a clean install. But XIV hasn't given me any issues since i installed the Ti last week and was running fine yesterday even. It was when I woke up then it instantly freezes my computer. I don't know if the BIOS hangup had anything to do with it, but I wouldn't think so unless it was a failing SSD issue... but Cryustaldisk says its fine.. though Crystaldisk doesn't let me run a comprehensive test, but does give a readout of 100%.

Also the BIOS has not hung up on me since. I'll try the HW benchmark during lunch.

Thinking about it, the only time XIV has ever frozen my computer like was when i tried running EVGA Precision. But when I uninstalled EVGA Precisioon the issue always went away. I tried it with the Ti on Wednesday or Thursday of last week and and then had to uninstall EVA Precision as it would cause my computer to freeze about 20 seconds after loading into the game. But It's not installed on my system anymore. So maybe this is a GPU issue if I am experiencing similar issues?

I haven't installed anything new on my computer (that I am aware of) yesterday.

edit: It seems like the Dx11 client is super sensitive to any overlay so that was why EVGA Precision kept causing my stuff to go boom. But I don't have any new overlays to cause this issue from yesterday.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Maybe something got loose when you installed the card? Stuff can sometimes still sorta work when loose, since it's such an odd problem. I'd give it a once-over with a spot light.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Thanks for the tip Orinthia, I'll check it out during my lunch. I doubt its a loose connector or pin since everything runs fine aside XIV, but I'll do a one over

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hope it's not these

lol

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I guess the Gremlins got tired and left my computer alone. When I checked it during lunch XIV booted up just fine. No idea what happened!