+ Reply to Thread
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Consistently High Ping when wired to router

I have two different computers, desktop and a laptop. Each of them have and Ethernet port and a wlan card. I am getting a consistent ping of 500-1000ms in counterstrike no matter which of the 4 connection methods across either computer I use. Also average ping of about 800ms when pinging google.com.

I have plugged my ethernet cable directly into the cable modem and the problem disappears. So you would think it was the router. We had a cheap little n300, I bought an ac1300 figured surely changing out the old router would do the trick. NOPE. Still the same issue with a new router.

So now my next step is to test every other device in the house and see what their latency is like.

I just don't understand it I can still download at the bandwidth cap no problem, but my latency is consistently terrible when connected to this router. Take out the router and its like the internet is instantly accessible, and heads are once again easy to shoot.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Swapped around the cables from the router to the modem (sounds dumb but you never know if the cable is bad and you've been using it this whole time)? Is the modem a modem only or is it a modem/router combo unit? Quality of service (QoS) settings disabled (with the right settings, it can prioritize certain kinds of traffic over others)? Are the other machines on the network doing anything while you're playing, like to rrents or heavy downloading? Can you account for those other machines on your network (no unrecognized devices?). Tried one machine on the router at a time? Up to date router firmware?

Also, maybe try having your router clone your main pc's MAC Address, so your modem thinks it's your pc that's hooked up. I know time warner's service is like that, but otherwise you'd never get on their network so that'll probably do nothing in your case...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

ended up being the router, not sure what it was but after a day or so the new router started giving me I should be getting.