She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Streaming files to a Fire stick...How to?

Okay. I'm not sure how to go about this but..a friend of mine got me a Amazon Fire stick with Kodi preloaded for a late Christmas present. I'd like to stream some anime fansubs I got to it from my pc (which is always on while I'm awake, it's Windows 10) so I can watch them full screen on the tv. I've tried using my PS4, but these are *.mkv files, and the PS4 would not show the subtitles no matter what I tried. (Insert cusswords here) I'm hoping the Fire stick will do better. (Not to mention, it's finally given me the means to watch TV in my room..live tv..from Uverse..if I'm in the mood.)

Would anyone know what I'd need to set the PC up so Kodi/the Fire stick will see it and what I'd need to do to get it working? Thanks in advance.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Kodi has its own file browser in it, you'll need to point it to the shared folder with your mkv/mp4/etc files in it. Works pretty well actually, just it's slightly clunky since you're given a file list to choose from, so long names will be your bane.

Specifically, you go to System, File Manager, Add Source, Browse, Windows network (SMB), and go from there. Other new share options may also work, but this one should let you see the other windows machines on the network (if they have shares and allow outside access) and let you browse their folders.

You can also sideload some apps on the stick with a little use of the command line and the android sdk installed. With this, you can get back fuller bluetooth support (sideload android's bt app, just don't turn off bt or else you can't use it heh), install a file browser, and get some apps that aren't on amazon's store, though most things tied with google's services won't work.

Spoiler: show
    You'll want to be familiar with sideloading apps on the firestick first before doing this next part, if you care to anyway. Maybe try this out on your pc first with a windows install of kodi.

You can make the firestick a fuller media system, able to stream things from a wide variety of sources, by giving it a new face. This goes for any kodi install actually, they all work the exact same. Visit http:// spartanpixel .net and try out The Beast for firestick (lots of stuff), or The Royalist (small install, mainly the good stuff). There's tutorials on how to install it on the site.

add: forgot about subtitle settings: System, Settings, Video, Subtitles. Set stuff there if it isn't already.

add2: also, be aware that 10bit encodes will massively stutter and take a crap on the screen since the firestick is fairly weak and its gpu does not work with 10bit stuffs (just tried my benchmark 720p 10bit file, no go). Some 720p files also seem to give it cause to stutter and crap out, but others are fine, like most mp4 files play fine. Plex may be an option to try out.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Luckily most of the subs I use are not 10 bit (Doremi stubbornly refuses to use the format) so that shouldn't be a issue. I'll just remember not to try my Kamen Rider subs (Over-Time embraces said format). Anyway I'll try this and get back to you.

...I just tried and sharing stuff, like I would for the PS4, and it can't find ONE freaking file no matter what I try. Do I need something like Plex?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't know how you're sharing stuff to the ps4, but you need to share the folder in windows to access it outside the machine. Specifically, right click on folder you want to share, choose "share with" -> "choose specific people." Then in the new window, the combo box will have an option for "Everyone," choose that and add it. That's how I shared on windows 8.1 and tried this just now to be certain it worked. Then you can follow the directions I wrote above on how to get kodi to see the new share (SMB, and drill down through network, machine, and folder until you get to the folder you're looking for, and add that folder). There should be plenty of guides covering this on youtube if you need a visual (xbmc = kodi before the name change).

Plex is also worth a shot if kodi never works out for you. Amazon has the plex app as well, you just need to set up the server part on your machine.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Not really what you were asking, but I stream mkv files to my ps3 and ps4 and never have a problem with subtitles. Try using universal media player. http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    I don't know how you're sharing stuff to the ps4, but you need to share the folder in windows to access it outside the machine. Specifically, right click on folder you want to share, choose "share with" -> "choose specific people." Then in the new window, the combo box will have an option for "Everyone," choose that and add it. That's how I shared on windows 8.1 and tried this just now to be certain it worked. Then you can follow the directions I wrote above on how to get kodi to see the new share (SMB, and drill down through network, machine, and folder until you get to the folder you're looking for, and add that folder). There should be plenty of guides covering this on youtube if you need a visual (xbmc = kodi before the name change).

Plex is also worth a shot if kodi never works out for you. Amazon has the plex app as well, you just need to set up the server part on your machine.
    +1 for Plex. It's easy to set up, and the interface is great. I have had some issues with it not being able to pick up certain series, but renaming them to follow a certain convention generally seems to fix the issue.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Orthia; pretty much the same. I'm using file sharing with the computer, kodi is asking for a file indexer thing (I can get shots if you're curious) and it can't find anything tho I know there's files there...wtf?

Chiyio; I'll try that. If I can get it working on the Fire and on the PS4 (for the annoying ones AKA. 10 bit) it'll be great. Just so you know, tech the PS4 can play *.mkv but it cannot show the subtitles if it's soft subs (and every fansub group out there that I regularly d/l stuff from uses soft subs!) unless you do some monkey business, and I never was able to figure out the full monkey business to get it to show me the subs. It's annoying to be watching a animu and you can't understand anything b/c there's no subs...ugh...

As it is, I will have to swap to the PS3/PS4 for Crunchyroll as the Fire doesn't have that app on their app store for some dumb reason. Kodi does but I don't have a paid account, and the Kodi plugin wants a paid account.

[edit] Thanks Chiyio! That did the trick. NOW it sees files and I can play my subs on both the PS4 and the Fire stick. Sometimes something like that needs a little help. ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    Orthia; pretty much the same. I'm using file sharing with the computer, kodi is asking for a file indexer thing (I can get shots if you're curious) and it can't find anything tho I know there's files there...wtf?

snip

[edit] Thanks Chiyio! That did the trick. NOW it sees files and I can play my subs on both the PS4 and the Fire stick. Sometimes something like that needs a little help. ^^
    Awesome that something worked (bookmarking that UMS for later), though a little curious what you were seeing in kodi. I'm using kodi 15.2 on my firestick, fresh sideloaded install, and am able to go through its file browser to see my network shares using the steps I mentioned in my first post. I was not relying on any other thing, just kodi's file browser to navigate to a shared folder in the same way windows explorer would navigate the shares. There should not be any indexer needed, so set that to none if there is an option to (it's probably trying to identify what the files are, which it won't ever know since it's anime stuffs). Though UMS keeps you from really needing the firestick/kodi in the first place for your purposes, so that was a superior solution.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Glad it helped!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I just use xbmc on my fire stick to stream from my media center. Never had any problems with it.