+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I know there is a word I want to use, can't remember the specific word, so either get stuck on the sentence until I recall the word or have to reword the sentence a different way to avoid using the word.

Only happens when talking, not writing as far as I can tell.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Here is the official blurb, just got it:

ADDITIONAL CLINICAL DATA: Word finding difficulty, pseudo bulb
    are affect, gait disturbance. History of hypertension.

EXAMINATION PERFORMED:
    MRI brain without contrast

TECHNIQUE:
    Multiplanar multisequence MRI of the brain.

CONTRAST: None.

COMPARISON: None

FINDINGS:

There are a few (approximately 10) small scattered foci of
    increased T2 FLAIR signal in the cerebral white matter. The brain
    parenchyma otherwise has normal signal characteristics. No
    brainstem or cerebellar lesions. The ventricles are normal in
    size and position. There is no evidence of acute or chronic
    cortical infarct, intracranial hematoma, extraaxial fluid
    collection, or mass effect. Cerebral and cerebellar parenchymal
    volume approximately normal for age. There is no cerebellar
    tonsillar herniation. Expected arterial flow-voids are present.

The paranasal sinuses, mastoid air cells, and middle ears are
    clear. The orbital contents are within normal limits. No
    significant osseous or scalp lesions are identified.

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild amount of scattered small cerebral white matter foci,
    nonspecific, although possibly secondary to chronic microvascular
    ischemic disease. Otherwise normal.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I mean it could be atypical migraines, peripheral neuropathy, vascular changes, all of that is really hard to say without knowing your complete medical history. The word finding may be somewhat typical of normal aging or a sign of something else.

I know there's times I want to use a word to describe something and I stand there for minutes thinking of it. Our lexicon is weird that way.

Edit: seeing your report it's likely microvascular changes, but I'm not your doctor. For now unless things get worse just go to your neurology appointment and see what workup they recommend.

Also, be very careful when non-brain doctors throw out the term "pseudobulbar affect". It means something very different in neurologic terms and I've seen quite a few patients who were told they had this and it was nothing at all.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Hope you ate all the tasty food you wanted to and are ready for a boring diet.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

So idk if I'm looking for advice or just a place to say out loud what I'm going through with my dad atm.

So a little over 10 years ago he had a stroke. Got lucky on the physical side as he had no symptoms afterwards. Cognitively is a different story.

At first he just had trouble following multi-step tasks or trains of thought. It progressed to short term memory loss and the occasional confusion. Mind you, he was once one of the top 5 people in the world for telecommunications software, former VP for Seagate, etc, so seeing someone I've always known as incredibly intelligent struggle with these things was hard, but it was almost a blessing in disguise as it was the first time in my lifetime he actually slowed down to just enjoy life and not work 18hrs a day 7 days a week.

Now, he's deteriorated to the point of dementia. My mom is trying to continue working part time to tuck away as much as she can before retirement, but it's becoming way too much for her to handle. We have close family friends that spend the day with him, and we've been able to manage up until yesterday.

Yesterday, he got angry out of the blue and choked our family friend (Tyler, an incredibly loving and passive person) to the point he had to punch him to get him off. Today, he grabbed my mom's arm so hard he left bruises. He's 6'3" and about 260lbs. Not a small guy. Tyler, luckily, is very well built and could manage it. My mom is 5'4" and about 110lbs. She can't protect herself if he got violent like he did with Tyler, but she's convinced she can. She gave me the whole "well I could call you if something like that happened." Absolute denial.

It's somewhat understandable as my dad was always beyond passive and gentle. He was never violent, even when my step grandfather literally threatened to shoot me and him when I was 14. It just wasn't his way.

But this isn't him. I'm absolutely terrified something is going to trigger him and no one will be there to stop him. I also understand how much she loves him, as I do. I mean, I literally could not have asked for better parents. They're incredible. They're love is that rare real deal kinda shit. She'd rather go down trying to take care of him to be there with him than any other alternative.

What in the ever loving shit fuck am I supposed to do? I've never been torn so badly in my life. Do I acknowledge her wishes knowing it could end up with her dead and him in a state facility? Do I try to make her put him in a home where he can be cared for safely knowing it would destroy her world? Do I do this knowing how alone and absolutely destroyed what's left of him would be? She's his safety net, his home, his only way to feel ok. When she's not around he's just...empty. The only thing he wants is to be with her. I'd be taking away the only thing left my beloved father has in this world in the name of protecting my mother.

So anyone of you that may have some experience with this or some kind of insight, I'm listening.

Sorry for the ramble, but I really have a difficult time actually talking to anyone without getting choked up and my brain going sideways. It's a little easier here. So I'm gonna drop this without proofreading or I'll just edit it 50 times and then delete it. Thanks in advance BG.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

It's going to ultimately be the decision of your mom and whether she would be more comfortable trying to manage him at home or she'd be more comfortable placing him in a skilled facility. I'm sure neither is a good choice for her. And you're probably going to have to come to terms with the fact that he's eventually going to need placement and that your family cannot do it forever. You have to live for yourself at some point and not trying to keep someone happy who isn't even going to realize what's going on from day-to-day.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Sometimes there isn't a good answer or great choice you can make. +1 to eventually you gotta live for yourselves. Good luck homey

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

BG Level

I'm driving (at a light) right now but when I get to my desk I'll give you a longer reply.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadritan View Post
    Yesterday, he got angry out of the blue and choked our family friend (Tyler, an incredibly loving and passive person) to the point he had to punch him to get him off. Today, he grabbed my mom's arm so hard he left bruises. He's 6'3" and about 260lbs... ...She gave me the whole "well I could call you if something like that happened." Absolute denial.
    This is the most common thing I encounter when talking to family members or loved ones when it comes to vascular disease, they're almost always convinced that the person they love is 100% still there and would never hurt them, and later on when I'm called in to evaluate it's often worse and someone is getting hurt.

Behavioral changes are hard on everyone and especially hard on the person who's affected. They react almost instinctively because the areas of the brain that keep those behaviors in check just isn't functioning as well anymore.

You have to reassure your mother and also gently encourage her to realize that it is not going to get any better, especially without help. The best thing to do is start the conversation and come up with a plan for when it becomes unmanageable, as Tyche said.

It's somewhat understandable as my dad was always beyond passive and gentle. He was never violent, even when my step grandfather literally threatened to shoot me and him when I was 14. It just wasn't his way.

But this isn't him. I'm absolutely terrified something is going to trigger him and no one will be there to stop him. I also understand how much she loves him, as I do. I mean, I literally could not have asked for better parents. They're incredible. They're love is that rare real deal kinda shit. She'd rather go down trying to take care of him to be there with him than any other alternative.
    Your father still is a passive and gentle person, but he cannot control his impulses and the parts of his mind that were in control just aren't what they used to be. It's a change, and ultimately you need to respect your mother's choice to be there for the love of her life.

BUT. Like I said above, you need to help her come up with a plan and also need to explain to her that he is not the same anymore and likely will never be the same again. Even with medical treatment it will get worse over time and the most you can hope for is to slow down the fuse by having him see a neurologist or psychiatrist to be put on appropriate medications to do as such.

What in the ever loving shit fuck am I supposed to do?
    This is NOT medical advice, but I will tell you what I have told others.
    1) Do what you can to support your mother and acknowledge her wishes, letting her know that once it becomes unsafe he will have to go somewhere for a higher level of care. A nursing home or skilled facility is ideal, especially ones that have dementia units and nurses who are trained in handling patients with behavioral disturbances.

2) Do NOT correct them as it's a recipe for rapid disorientation and they will become super agitated. I cannot state this enough. In the hospital someone ALWAYS gets punched or ends up restrained because a patient didn't remember anything that was happening and Hospital-Person Winnie came up and was like NO YOU ARE IN A HOSPITAL TAKE YOUR MEDS, causing the patient to become disoriented, angry, and combative.

3) Always meet aggressive tones with relaxed ones. If you escalate, so will they.

I'd be taking away the only thing left my beloved father has in this world in the name of protecting my mother.
    No, dude. You would be giving your father the care that he deserves that your mother is not going to be able to provide. If your mother really cares about him the way that she says, she needs to let go of who he was but you cannot force this on her. If she's unwilling to, she needs to accept the risk to her personal safety and unfortunately you will need to get over that as you cannot force her to see things your way. All you can do is support her.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. As someone who has treated hundreds of folks in this situation I can tell you it's one of the hardest things family members have to deal with, but it will be okay.

Support your mother and be there for her. Come up with a plan.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I'm driving (at a light) right now but when I get to my desk I'll give you a longer reply.

edit:

This is the most common thing I encounter when talking to family members or loved ones when it comes to vascular disease, they're almost always convinced that the person they love is 100% still there and would never hurt them, and later on when I'm called in to evaluate it's often worse and someone is getting hurt.

Behavioral changes are hard on everyone and especially hard on the person who's affected. They react almost instinctively because the areas of the brain that keep those behaviors in check just isn't functioning as well anymore.

You have to reassure your mother and also gently encourage her to realize that it is not going to get any better, especially without help. The best thing to do is start the conversation and come up with a plan for when it becomes unmanageable, as Tyche said.

Your father still is a passive and gentle person, but he cannot control his impulses and the parts of his mind that were in control just aren't what they used to be. It's a change, and ultimately you need to respect your mother's choice to be there for the love of her life.

BUT. Like I said above, you need to help her come up with a plan and also need to explain to her that he is not the same anymore and likely will never be the same again. Even with medical treatment it will get worse over time and the most you can hope for is to slow down the fuse by having him see a neurologist or psychiatrist to be put on appropriate medications to do as such.

1) Do what you can to support your mother and acknowledge her wishes, letting her know that once it becomes unsafe he will have to go somewhere for a higher level of care. A nursing home or skilled facility is ideal, especially ones that have dementia units and nurses who are trained in handling patients with behavioral disturbances.

2) Do NOT correct them as it's a recipe for rapid disorientation and they will become super agitated. I cannot state this enough. In the hospital someone ALWAYS gets punched or ends up restrained because a patient didn't remember anything that was happening and Hospital-Person Winnie came up and was like NO YOU ARE IN A HOSPITAL TAKE YOUR MEDS, causing the patient to become disoriented, angry, and combative.

3) Always meet aggressive tones with relaxed ones. If you escalate, so will they.

No, dude. You would be giving your father the care that he deserves that your mother is not going to be able to provide. If your mother really cares about him the way that she says, she needs to let go of who he was but you cannot force this on her. If she's unwilling to, she needs to accept the risk to her personal safety and unfortunately you will need to get over that as you cannot force her to see things your way. All you can do is support her.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. As someone who has treated hundreds of folks in this situation I can tell you it's one of the hardest things family members have to deal with, but it will be okay.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

edit:

Well said. I really appreciate the advise from you guys more than I can express.

He's been seeing a psychiatrist, neurologist, etc for years and years. The meds and other treatments he's been receiving just aren't enough anymore.

Gonna sit down with my mom this weekend to really hash everything out.

I took care of one massive stress point for her today. Long story short she's in the process of having the house remodeled and thought she was getting screwed, when in fact she's getting absurdly high quality work done with materials being charged at cost, which is damn near unheard of in that industry here. They're going to deal with me directly only from here on out so that can be taken off her plate. I was a carpenter for about a decade, so ya.

So one step at a time. That was really what I needed to hear Kuro. Again, you may not believe me or care, but that post had a tremendous impact on me. Silly because it's just some person on the internet, sure, but it legit helped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BG Level

It helps that I'm a janitor.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

So I've had ulcerative colitis for six years and some change. I've also had back pain for a bit longer than that, but it didn't get really bad until about two years ago. Sciatica pain, hip pain, etc. Went to a doctor and was put on pain meds. X-ray found some arthritis in my neck, back and hips. Pain usually gets worse during the winter. Fast forward a year later and my legs are hurting.

Mostly pain and tightness in my hamstring, knee and foot joints. This winter it's been extending to my toes and that padding under my toes. Also my hands and the nerves in my arms. It's getting to where I have to sit down to shave now and can't really stand for long periods of time anymore for cooking and other activities. A rheumatologist ruled out rheumatoid arthritis and only suggested medicine and physical therapy. Thing is they can't seem to pinpoint what the issue is.

It's only getting worse and the depression is really setting in. I even feel it in my jaw and teeth sometimes. To top it off, due to insurance company changes, my gastroenterologist and rheumatologist are now both out of network. I had been seeing my gastroenterologist since she diagnosed the colitis so that really hurt. Having to start over from scratch and things aren't getting any better.

Had to go to urgent care in April or May when my leg pains got really bad. Usually pain in the right leg gets worse along with muscle spasms in my calf muscles. I feel like I'll be wheelchair bound in a year and just wish they could find out what's wrong and properly treat it. Urgent care nurse suggested seeing a neurologist, but one that's in my network isn't available till Feb. Anyone deal with issues like this, and if so what helped? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BG Level

What you're describing sounds a lot more like enteropathic arthritis, but you can always ask to see a neurologist. I don't know that it will be helpful because it doesn't sound neuropathic.

Radiculopathy maybe, so that may be a reason to see a neurologist.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

What you're describing sounds a lot more like enteropathic arthritis, but you can always ask to see a neurologist. I don't know that it will be helpful because it doesn't sound neuropathic.

Radiculopathy maybe, so that may be a reason to see a neurologist.
    Looked it up and that sounds about right. Shocked my rheumatologist didn't suggest that, knowing my medical history. He and my GI prescribed methotrexate. Seems to have some harsh side effects from what I read so I put off trying it. Mostly since it affects the immune system and with covid, the holidays and all that. Anyway, I'm gonna try it anyway. Side effects or not, I'll suffer more if I don't take it now. They said it takes a few months to take start seeing effects anyway so I need to start ASAP.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

BG Level

Getting an IVC filter put in at noon today. Yay lol.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Lucky you. having mine taken out next week

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I've had an IVC installed since 2012 (second major PE).

BG Level

Yeah looks like I am be keeping mine as well.

BG Level

What are you even talking about?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Bumping a bunch of threads to raise post count.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag