+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

About the most dangerous thing is if the baby has PKU.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    About the most dangerous thing is if the baby has PKU.
    True. Also it's only a problem with aspartame like my Diet Coke example. AFAIK the other common artificial sweeteners don't contain phenylalanine. Most babies aren't going to be chugging Diet Cokes either. :D

BG Level

That's true, but I was just using an example.

Artificial sweeteners themselves are too big to cross the placenta anyway, so it's a moot point.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I had a surgery overseas to correct a deviated septum. Paid ~$3,000 for the surgery and ~$2,000 for flight, AirBnB, food, etc for the entire week and a half long trip. Highly recommended to save money. Cost in the States would have been ~$25,000.

Vilnius, Lithuania for those interested.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

So this past weekend I had to go make a fun little trip to the ER from the gym. When I was on the stationary bike for about 28mins my head started to hurt slightly above my temple, so i finished up my 30mins on that and decided to take a breather in the lobby for a few mins. After about 5mins I got up and changed clothes and decided to sit back down in the lobby. After about an other 10 mins I felt my mouth kinda go numb then my hands started to tingle. I went up to the staff and tried to say I need help but my mouth wouldnt open all the way so they sat me down and they called 911. After talking to them while waiting for the transport to get there an off duty paramedic came by and started talking to me and asking me how I was doing, asked me if I could move my toes, I could and then my fingers, I couldnt do that since my hands cramped up so bad. I was starting to loosen up by the time that the transport guys got there to take me to the ER. First ER doctor said it could have been because my Potassium was too low, and after running labs it showed that it was 3.1, which apparently is low. Gave me a saline injection and 4 potassium pills and sent me home.
    So went to talk to family doctor and one of them said it really was hyperventilation because my mouth went numb then my hands, and now I'm worrying about it stupidly, so if i start to feel that way again, what can I do to make it better/go away? Doctor I talked to was not helpful in that case what so ever. I am trying to breathe in and out slowly like to try and calm down but not sure if thats the best way to make it go away. If that is indeed what it is and not some sort of chemical imbalance with my kidneys I need to get looked at later. Any tips/tricks to help deal with it?

*EDIT*
    Have had heart palpatations in the past year and we had that looked at via EKG and ultrasound and they found nothing structurally wrong, so thats why I bring up the kidney possibility.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Could be both? Health issues are often a sliding scale kinda thing. I wouldn't worry until it happens again after you've taken the precautions of breathing deeper/not pushing so hard that you run out of breath for as long as you did, and also eat some bananas. Also, it might not be an instant thing so do the precautions for a week and if it's still happening then time to escalate it with your doctor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Could be both? Health issues are often a sliding scale kinda thing. I wouldn't worry until it happens again after you've taken the precautions of breathing deeper/not pushing so hard that you run out of breath for as long as you did, and also eat some bananas. Also, it might not be an instant thing so do the precautions for a week and if it's still happening then time to escalate it with your doctor.

Well I wouldnt say I really pushed myself doing the bike, i was on a lowish setting, think 3 or 4 for most of since I noticed I was having a harder time of it than I did on Wed so i went down one level and I think I was fine for the most part till the end. I find doing the bike/treadmill totally boring so I normally end up watching something for the time that I'm there using it so maybe I was breathing harder than I thought I was. I was fine till earlier today after my followup when I was told about it being hyperventilating and I was trying to take a nap and started to feel that same way again. Like when I was writing the last post my lips were starting to tingle like it was before. Now with it like that I'm sure its me just being anxious about it and that not helping things, this most recent one was probably me psyching myself into it more than anything. Before this I would say I'm not really much of an anxious person but it seems this begs to differ.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Are you eating better foods for the micronutrients your doctor mentioned, or taking multivitamins and hoping for the best? Personally I'd eat better foods but vitamins arent as terrible as people make them out to be. The majority of them just end up being overkill and leaving your system following restroom break.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Are you eating better foods for the micronutrients your doctor mentioned, or taking multivitamins and hoping for the best? Personally I'd eat better foods but vitamins arent as terrible as people make them out to be. The majority of them just end up being overkill and leaving your system following restroom break.

Starting working out about a year ago to lose weight and I picked up Vitafusion MultiVites and still taking that. After I brought up the heart issue we ran some tests and said my good cholesterol was below normal and thats when I introduced Omega-3 gummies to take along side the multivitamins. My diet has changed a lot over the past year, but mainly I have just stopped eatting a lot of the bad foods/not so much of it to try and lose weight, which I have, and perhaps along the way I haven't added in enough of the good things. Was never a big veggie person before and still havent been, I have no problem with fruits but they dont really come in smaller portions here so I end up wasting a chunk of it so i just stopped buying them to save my money, which probably isnt helping right now though.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yeah that probably isn't great. It's not hard to eat enough to cover your nutrition needs, but if you've done so well to cut out the bad then maybe you're overlooking something. I am def not the person to give healthy eating advice that covers all your needs tho, cause the first thing imma tell you to do is fry some plantains or bananas if those are too starchy for you.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Yeah that probably isn't great. It's not hard to eat enough to cover your nutrition needs, but if you've done so well to cut out the bad then maybe you're overlooking something. I am def not the person to give healthy eating advice that covers all your needs tho, cause the first thing imma tell you to do is fry some plantains or bananas if those are too starchy for you.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I'm actually at a healthy weight but just have that fat kid mentality still so its hard to get rid of that. I had an order for bloodwork I was going to get done on that friday actually but now im going to do it sometime this week to see about the good cholesterol levels after taking these vitamins and see what else needs to change. Never had plantains but I do enjoy me some banana's

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Well good sir, I suggest you find some ripe, yellow and black plantains. Cut them into half inch slices, and fry them on medium until they're dark brown and golden throughout. Pat dry them, sprinkle salt, and you sir are now an honorary Dominican.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Well good sir, I suggest you find some ripe, yellow and black plantains. Cut them into half inch slices, and fry them on medium until they're dark brown and golden throughout. Pat dry them, sprinkle salt, and you sir are now an honorary Dominican.

Haha thanks for the diet advice, I'll have to see if my backwoods Wal-Mart has those or will I be stuck eatting banana's. So for the hyperventilating part I just need to control my breathing better it sounds like? Assuming that is the issue of course.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

You lack oxygen, but I'm not a fitness head to give you great advice on that. I'd say just take it down a level for a min every 10 or so to give you time to catch your breath and keep shortening the break until you feel comfortable with it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

You lack oxygen, but I'm not a fitness head to give you great advice on that. I'd say just take it down a level for a min every 10 or so to give you time to catch your breath and keep shortening the break until you feel comfortable with it.

Hmm I'll keep that in mind. Well right now I'm just talking normal every day activity since there are times it feels like having mild shortness of breath, with no pain or anything accompanying it, for a few mins then after awhile it goes away.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Oh that's different. Start keeping track of when they happen and what you were doing and see if you can discern a pattern. Bring that info to your doctor too. That's not normal tbh.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Oh that's different. Start keeping track of when they happen and what you were doing and see if you can discern a pattern. Bring that info to your doctor too. That's not normal tbh.

Its not all that often, maybe once or twice a week or 2 weeks for just a bit at a time, but yeah i think ill have to keep track of it from now on

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

So I've been sick for 6 days now.

Started with a sore throat and then caught a fever, slight cough, and the feeling like someone was putting my head into a vice everytime I coughed.

Went to walk-in clinic for convenience. No Strep. Sent me home said I'd get better in a few days.

Didn't get any better so went to my regular doctor. Gave me a Z-Pack. Didn't help. 3 days later (today) he prescribed prednisone because my throat still hurts.

Throat has a bunch of pus on it in the back. Been gargling, drinking teas, soups, hot showers etc. Nothing is helping.

Any ideas on diagnoses or remedies? It's most likely not mono; I had it 10 years ago. The strep test was sent to a lab and came back negative so it's not that either.

Been a miserable fuck these past few days bored out of my mind in pain. Anything would help.

BG Level

Probably viral. Nothing you can do except time. Are you still spiking fevers or by "not better" you mean "I still have a runny nose cough and feel like shit"?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

The fevers went away. I wrapped myself in 3 heavy blankets last night to give myself a big fever. After that they went away.

It's my throat that's bothering me still. It's crazy sore and there's pus in the back by my tonsils.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag