Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Is it pus or nasal drainage. They can look similar. It sounds like you have drainage that's irritating your throat,probably causing pain and inflammation. Rotate Tylenol and Motrin and wait it out.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It's pus along with nasal drip. My doctor was shocked that it wasn't strep because of all the pus back there; there is definitely post-nasal drip though too.

Thanks for all the advice

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Botosi View Post
    It's pus along with nasal drip. My doctor was shocked that it wasn't strep because of all the pus back there; there is definitely post-nasal drip though too.

It could be an abscess in your throat. I once had MRSA in my nose and throat and then it got in my blood. I was fucked up for about a year.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The fevers went away. I wrapped myself in 3 heavy blankets last night to give myself a big fever. After that they went away.

It's my throat that's bothering me still. It's crazy sore and there's pus in the back by my tonsils.
    Don't do that lol.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

How're your teeth doing?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Teeth are fine. No pain or anything

BG Level

I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be strep, other things can cause throat infections but pus generally means bacteria. Sometimes people can get an abscess under caries or tonsillitis from calcified colonies.

Tyche is pretty spot on, imo (and being a nurse he'd know).

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Pus on the tonsil area is usually bacterial in my experience. You got that z pack 3 days ago? If it hasn't started to reduce the pus and swelling by today or tomorrow I'd get it cultured or something. Even fighting an infection 100% naturally should have you feeling somewhat better by now (going over a week now?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I used to get tonsillitis all the damn time growing up, pus on them and all. Antibiotics did the trick majority of the time. There was one time where it was particularly bad even with antibiotics...iirc I was sick for like 3 weeks even with a round of antibiotics. So dont feel too scared yet lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

It's been a week now and I got the Z-pack 4 days ago. I've gotten better in every aspect except for my throat. Fever went down, energy went up, headache went away. Throat is still very sore and the pus is still there. Starting to get worried. Probably going to schedule an ENT appointment if it's not better by tomorrow. My previous doctors only tested for strep. Prednisone doesn't seem to be doing much either.

Edit: Seems to be going to my chest. Starting to feel some congestion/urges to cough. FML it's my birthday today too...

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

So I've been sick for 6 days now.

Started with a sore throat and then caught a fever, slight cough, and the feeling like someone was putting my head into a vice everytime I coughed.

Went to walk-in clinic for convenience. No Strep. Sent me home said I'd get better in a few days.

Didn't get any better so went to my regular doctor. Gave me a Z-Pack. Didn't help. 3 days later (today) he prescribed prednisone because my throat still hurts.

Throat has a bunch of pus on it in the back. Been gargling, drinking teas, soups, hot showers etc. Nothing is helping.

Any ideas on diagnoses or remedies? It's most likely not mono; I had it 10 years ago. The strep test was sent to a lab and came back negative so it's not that either.

Been a miserable fuck these past few days bored out of my mind in pain. Anything would help.
    This sounds like viral tonsillitis to me. I have had that three or four times really severe. Also do you get tonsil stones? Whenever I have had tonsillitis it has been extremely sore throat, puss on tonsils, extremely high fever, and antibiotics didn't work.

Just stay really well hydrated and take cool baths and keep a cool wash cloth on you. DO NOT get under blankets. I had such a high fever one time and became delirious and felt cold so I wrapped myself in blankets while I was home alone. My wife came home to me almost unconscious with an extreme fever and had to get me into a cold water bath to cool me down then took me to the ER. I think I topped out at 105 or 106.

Another time I had a similar situation but I was staying with my dad at the time and he had to take me to the ER and they gave me a giant shot of liquid ibuprofen in my butt to bring the fever down. I think I was at 106 that time and my skin felt like it was melting off my body it was the most pain I have ever felt in my life.

BG Level

It's been a week now and I got the Z-pack 4 days ago. I've gotten better in every aspect except for my throat. Fever went down, energy went up, headache went away. Throat is still very sore and the pus is still there. Starting to get worried. Probably going to schedule an ENT appointment if it's not better by tomorrow. My previous doctors only tested for strep. Prednisone doesn't seem to be doing much either.

Edit: Seems to be going to my chest. Starting to feel some congestion/urges to cough. FML it's my birthday today too...
    Never, ever, ever take steroids for active infection. Ever.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Never, ever, ever take steroids for active infection. Ever.
    Doctor prescribed it yesterday for my throat (I'm guessing to reduce inflammation). Think I should I cut it out? I did read about it weakening your immune system, but thought the Z-pack may counter-act that. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of my doctor's abilities?

BG Level

No, don't take my word over the internet for it. If it was prescribed, take it. I don't know anything about your history. As a general rule if you're infected steroids will knock out the immune response. If you're still on antibiotics it's probably not an issue but finish them up regardless.

Just be cautious and look for fevers or worsening symptoms.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

OK, first and foremost I know, primary care is where to get real answers. But it's Friday at almost 5 so I'm just looking for some advice for the weekend. Three weeks ago my wife passed out while at a restaurant after work with her coworkers. She's a CNA and was with nurses and the usual tricks couldn't get her to come to so an ambulance was called. She had extremely low blood pressure. Here is the thing, she takes BP meds for hypertension (her mom and sis do too). At the ER the docs said it could be from the combination of 12 hours shifts, lack of sleep, dehydration, and alcohol (she had one drink after work). They sent her on her way and the next day she was fine.

This morning her friend is dropping her off because last night at work (she works 3rd shift) around 3 AM she about passed out. Docs suggested because she works on her feet that could be the problem (lol?). They didn't have anything else really to say other than go see your PCP so we can get a referral to a cardiologist, which is what we will do. The term they did use was syncope. Regarding what I could look up nothing stands out to me so I'm not sure what we can do until we can see professionals.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do for now? Right this minute she's in bed resting. Took an imitrex so I'm sure she'll be out for awhile. Any advice and suggestions is much appreciated.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Literally anything and everything could be the problem. If this isnt a new prescription exchange in medicine routine, I would change nothing and go see your pcp asap. Sounds like she needs some blood work, maybe a scan.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Literally anything and everything could be the problem. If this isnt a new prescription exchange in medicine routine, I would change nothing and go see your pcp asap. Sounds like she needs some blood work, maybe a scan.

We've had blood work done twice with everything negative. Nothing new scrips wise. Seems silly we have to go to the PCP first before a cardiologist but w/e.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Not all blood tests are the same, so unless they did a super thorough one I still wouldnt rule out that they can diagnose her on that. If they did the bloodwork in the emergency room, I'd give your pcp a shot still.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Not all blood tests are the same, so unless they did a super thorough one I still wouldnt rule out that they can diagnose her on that. If they did the bloodwork in the emergency room, I'd give your pcp a shot still.

Yeah both done in the ER. I'm wondering if having it done after fasting could show some different results. Just hope we can get in Monday.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    OK, first and foremost I know, primary care is where to get real answers. But it's Friday at almost 5 so I'm just looking for some advice for the weekend. Three weeks ago my wife passed out while at a restaurant after work with her coworkers. She's a CNA and was with nurses and the usual tricks couldn't get her to come to so an ambulance was called. She had extremely low blood pressure. Here is the thing, she takes BP meds for hypertension (her mom and sis do too). At the ER the docs said it could be from the combination of 12 hours shifts, lack of sleep, dehydration, and alcohol (she had one drink after work). They sent her on her way and the next day she was fine.

This morning her friend is dropping her off because last night at work (she works 3rd shift) around 3 AM she about passed out. Docs suggested because she works on her feet that could be the problem (lol?). They didn't have anything else really to say other than go see your PCP so we can get a referral to a cardiologist, which is what we will do. The term they did use was syncope. Regarding what I could look up nothing stands out to me so I'm not sure what we can do until we can see professionals.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do for now? Right this minute she's in bed resting. Took an imitrex so I'm sure she'll be out for awhile. Any advice and suggestions is much appreciated.
    Ask about cardiac monitoring to rule out an arrhythmia.

They should have had a cardiologist evaluate her, or at least checked her thyroid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag