+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

BG Medical Random Question Thread

For all the little questions we may need help with instead of making a new post every time. (Hopefully this is a good idea, ban me if not, idgaf I'm getting sick again)

I still have my tonsils (30) and I am wondering if anyone knows if that could contribute to getting sick more often.

I get sick about three times a year in the last three years (Since I moved to Cali from FL) and yea. I'm pretty sick of being sick.

Anyone know anything? Thanks for the helps.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

First: http://oto.sagepub.com/content/140/3/291
    You're looking in a ~50% reduction in the number of sore throats. It might be medically justifiable if your tonsils are enlarged, though. Wikipedia has a disgusting picture of tonsillitis that you can look up if you want, which will show you where the tonsils are and what they look like when they're enlarged.

Surgery complications are mostly hemorrhage with a pretty low chance of of bacterial infection. There are three methods for doing the surgery and people seem to agree Thermal Welding is the best one. A lot of the elective tonsillectomy patients seem to swear by them (if you google for threads about it).

Other routes you can take to minimize ear/nose/throat infections:
    1) Stop picking your nose.
    2) Treat any allergies you have, even if they're just mild inflammation.
    3) Drink more water.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

i had a tonsilectomy at 5. i had my stuffed dinosaur named Rainbow with me.

have you considered not being a ho?

unfortunately, not being a ho isn't an option at this time, but I will explore other methods listed (Thanks Byrthnoth )

I drink a lot of water as is. I don't have allergies (that I know of?). Picking nose is the best, no.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

What sort of shitass name for a stuffed dinosaur is Rainbow? You were terrible at being a child.

Acceptable stuffed dinosaur names:
    Steggy
    Cera
    Anky
    Rexy
    Jeff

Etc

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    shitass
    Ha.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

He was just a round poofy vague dinosaur shape, not a specific species, and had all sorts of vibrant glossy colors. Rainbow. I was like 3 when I named him. I think he's still around.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'm assuming the troubles are with your tonsils..... tonsillitis. I knew a guy who had to have his tonsils removed because the bacteria just stayed in his tonsils and flare up once conditions were right. His body just couldn't get rid of it so they removed them, hasn't been sick for a few years now.

Homeopathy alternative would be to hookup with Cream Soda. The can with the string is the only way to reach him though.

Ahahahahaa, thanks for that! Definitely looking into it, then.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    For all the little questions we may need help with instead of making a new post every time. (Hopefully this is a good idea, ban me if not, idgaf I'm getting sick again)

I still have my tonsils (30) and I am wondering if anyone knows if that could contribute to getting sick more often.

I get sick about three times a year in the last three years (Since I moved to Cali from FL) and yea. I'm pretty sick of being sick.

Anyone know anything? Thanks for the helps.
    Actually have experience with this; I opted to get my tonsils out at 18 due to the frequency of my sore throats/tonsillitis. Haven't had a sore throat/strep in the 12 years since.

Sounds great right? Unfortunately, the following week or so post-op was one of the worst periods of my life. For the first ~four days or so, I literally could not swallow my own saliva (which was half blood); I had a cup on my desk that I would fill, dump in the toilet, and repeat. I ended up going to hospital after a few days to get an IV for hydration and I don't think I slept for close to 80 hours. It really took me about 14-17 days to get back to normal-ish.

I did have "large tonsils" in the surgeon's estimation, but getting your tonsils out when you're older is just a miserable process in the short term. I think my experience is not indicative of the average experience though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would still do it again if I had to though; Wulfgang vote of approval.

Banned.

BG Level

Unless there is something specifically wrong with your tonsils, removing your tonsils will make you get sick even more often if anything. They exist for a reason and are part of your body's defense system against infections

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vivbiibasjiu View Post
    Unless there is something specifically wrong with your tonsils, removing your tonsils will make you get sick even more often if anything. They exist for a reason and are part of your body's defense system against infections
    Yep. Your tonsils are a lymph organ, and help protect you from respiratory illness.

So yea, that allergic tonsillitis or opportunistic tonsillitis might go away but be prepared to get sick more often when you get older.

Them being swollen is them doing their job.

Good advice guys. Mostly I'm posting from bed with an update. I can't move or breathe. I feel like shit.

BG Level

Get a humidifier with the Vicks infusion stuff. Works great.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

They're a part of the lymph system, but sometimes they contribute to more illness than not because they're just consistently infected.

If it was anything other than tonsilitis, I'd say deal with it. But as a frequent sufferer up until a few years ago I recommend taking them out. I'm talking 3+ cases of tonsilitis a year.

BG Level

Well, yes, but you have the M cells to blame for that. I'm just saying the tonsils don't always need to come out just because they're inflamed. They're filled with white cells. Most of the time it's self-resolving.

Since this is the general thread, I may as well post a serious question - does anyone have experience with ordering legal meds online without a prescription? I pretty desperately need to get a refill on my albuterol inhaler so that I can, y'know, not die, but I also don't have insurance and neither I nor my mother can afford for me to visit a doc for a 5 minute check up where he says "ok, I'll give you a prescription."

I've tried doing some research, and supposedly there are websites where you can place orders like this, but most of them seem pretty sketchy and I'm hesitant to risk it. A recommendation from someone that's used a site successfully would give me some great peace of mind. Any other suggestions are welcome too, of course.

BG Level

I wouldn't do it. Usually you can call the nurse and ask for a refill on your prescription and the doctor will send it to the pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Usually you can call the nurse and ask for a refill on your prescription and the doctor will send it to the pharmacy.
    It's been multiple years since I've needed a prescription for my inhaler. Also kind of weird since I'm living in Ohio now, and the most recent doctor I had seen is in Wisconsin. Further complicated by the fact that my PCP at that office left, and I never saw the new one that was temporarily assigned. I'm still planning to call them tomorrow morning when they're open, but I'm not optimistic.

BG Level

If it's a new facility you'll have to establish yourself first. A controlled substance like Albuterol requires a prescription. I wouldn't dare buy something like it without physically picking it up from a pharmacy.

Your alternative is Primatene, though, for emergencies, but I wouldn't depend on it for anything else.

You could try going in and asking for samples. Sometimes that works well for people without insurance that are new or poor patients. They even have discount cards for pharmacies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag