+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I have never talked about my medical problems here. I usually like to keep such things private even from relatives or people I know. I guess it's cause of Covid isolation and all the unrest that's going on in this country but I feel like, "Fuck it. I don't care who knows anymore." I had something happen and I want a second opinion.

I know there are Doctors and Nurses that post here and this is for you. If you don't have any background in medicine please don't respond.

I have Crohns disease. I have had it most of my life. I had surgery in January last year. I had a colonoscopy last monday to follow up the surgery. I was suppose to have it in the spring but with the pandemic ramping up and all the unknowns there was no way I was going to have it done then. Anyway, I had it done last week and my Mom who is a retired surgical PA went with me. I should mention that colonoscopies have always been hard on me. When the anesthesia fully wears off after I get home I feel like I've been hit by a truck. Sick to my stomach, body aches, etc. This time was even worse though. Immediately after I woke up I started coughing uncontrollably and my throat burned. I don't remember much because I was still coming out of the anesthesia but my Mom said, that I said that something feels really wrong. The Nurse came in checked my vitals. Everything was realtively normal considering but my oxygen saturation was only 85. She said they had me sit up and try and take deep breaths. When the Doctor came in she asked if I had aspirated. He looked surprised and said no. Fyi, they made me wear a mask the whole time during the procedure. She said my o stat came up after a while and the Doctor just shrugged and was like, "That was weird." After we left I was still hurting and coughing a bit. She didn't like their response and made me come back to their house so she could monitor me real closely, make sure I got rehydrated and ate. I was able to eat some yogurt and a sandwich but my whole body hurt real bad. Every joint and muscle and my throat still burned pretty bad. I did not argue when she said I was staying the night. She said she thought I had aspirated stomach acid and it had gotten into my lungs and they didn't notice. Later that night she checked my vitals and I had a 101.5 deg fever and with a stethoscope she could hear loud crackling sounds in my lungs. Then it was like, "Uh oh." It was really late and if I didn't start improving by the morning she was going to take me back to the hospital. She had me take two extra strength Tylenol and drink plenty of water. By the next morning my temperature was normal and I wasn't as sore. My lungs were still crackling when I would breath out and I started coughing up a lot of mucus. She called my PC Doctor but they never called back. I ended up staying at my parents for days until I felt better. ^^; My lungs were still making a little bit of noise but I couldn't feel anything and felt fine. She told me the condition.. that I can't remember right now.. takes a while to get over but I still should see the Doctor ASAP. After I got back to my place she insisted that I call the Doctor Monday myself and see if they could work me in that day. I called as soon as they opened and asked to speak to his nurse. Of course she can't be bothered to come to the phone for a second and I just had to leave a voicemail. They didn't call back yesterday. >.> She finally called back today and I explained and she had the gaul to tell me, "You might have Covid, you need to stay home, etc." I got PISSED but tried to control myself.. <sigh> and said in a stern tone. "No! You don't understand. I had a colonoscopy and this happened right after!" Then she said, "Oh.. Ok I will tell the Doctor." They still haven't called me.

What should I do? Try the PC Doc again and badger them until they see me? Screw it? This will get better on it's own?

Banned.

BG Level

1. sorry you have crohns
    2. it sounds like you have/had atelectasis. but this shouldn't really cause a continuous fever to 101.5, and your oxygen level should be totally recovered by now.

if you're feeling awful and continue to have. a fever, i think it would be worth going to UC or ED for chest XR and some lab work. especially if youre on immunotherapy.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Currently in the middle of nursing school so i will start off and say, that i would definitely go and try to see your PC. I am not a professional or licensed (yet) and just trying to give my opinion on the matter.

With that said, You could be suffering from an onset of (GERD) Gastroesophageal reflux disease, especially if you have a history of Crohns disease let alone at the point to need surgery for it. You said," Immediately after I woke up I started coughing uncontrollably and my throat burned." leads me to believe you must've breathed in some stomach acid while sleeping, anesthesia probably didn't help. When sleeping, you should try to sleep in a 30-45 degree angle (semi-fowlers) position. Basically want to have a pillow or two under your back as you sleep face up. This is a good way to prevent aspiration at night. You probably have liquid in the lungs which explains the crackling and fever, but this can very easily lead to pneumonia if you don't have it already. Don't drink any water or eat anything 2-3 hours before bed and do not lay down flat after eating or drinking. This could help alleviate and potentially reduce reoccurring problems.

I can't say if a lung collapse without listening personally, but crackling sounds in the lungs are no good no matter the reason (duh, right?). From partial collapse to signs of pneumonia.

All in all, get checked out as soon as possible. Emergency Department if your fever returns, breathing becomes difficult or overall situation degrades.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I also have Crohn's. personally, I'd go directly to my GI. To my mind, complications from GI procedure = talk to GI. They might send you to someone else, but they'd have a better idea of the likely complications than your PC. plus, sounds like your PC can't be bothered, which doesn't speak well of them. But otherwise, good advice here. ER if it gets worse, get in to see someone asap. Badger the PC if you need to. Procedure complications ain't something to fuck around with. It's not the sort of thing where you accept a 2+ week delay on an appointment. You need to be in in the next few days. This week. Unless it gets worse it's probably not an emergency, but it's definitely urgent.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Thank you for the advice. I'm fine now though. No fever, no crackling in lungs, no mucus, o-stat is normal, no pain, nothing. It probably wasn't as bad as I first thought. I have a appointment with my Doctor next week to discuss the results of the colonoscopy. This is definitely the first thing I am going to bring up.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Good to hear! Can't say I blame you for being alarmed- respiratory problems in particular are scary, and they always make a point to warn you to watch for signs of complications.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How the hell do you find a doctor for the first time? I'm 43, certain I have a couple different medical conditions cause I'm fat and need to become serious about making sure I survive the next 25 years to see my daughter graduate from college and get married.

I can find names on my insurance website, but how do I know that Jim Bob is a better doctor than Betty Sue?

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    How the hell do you find a doctor for the first time? I'm 43, certain I have a couple different medical conditions cause I'm fat and need to become serious about making sure I survive the next 25 years to see my daughter graduate from college and get married.

I can find names on my insurance website, but how do I know that Jim Bob is a better doctor than Betty Sue?
    Read reviews or go and see them. Having a doctor is like any other relationship. Clicking with them is what matters.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Ask around your social circle too. If you have some nurse friends or relatives, they'll be a good resource.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Ask around your social circle too. If you have some nurse friends or relatives, they'll be a good resource.
    This is great advice, nurses will know their docs well.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I have line 10 coworkers and friends and their families that see my doctor now after recommending him to them. Dude should give me referral bonuses at those point. He is pretty awesome though.

Because She's the woman Blue Gartr deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

I went through 10 doctors before I found a decent one , then that one left to go to a hospital and took me another year to find a follow up. Good advice about asking friends or social circles , unfortunately I didn't have that option. Though ironically found my OBGYN because of a co worker who recommended me.

Clicking with them and having them actually listen to you is key. I have weight struggles and was doing fine until this year hit, but still my own damn fault. Basically I had doctors that would blame my sinus infection on my weight , not even joking. While it's important to be our own advocate, you also want someone who will take your concerns and feedback into account and discuss a plan if necessary. I looked up a ton of reviews and linkedin profiles too.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah being your own advocate is important with any doctor, but your relationship with your doctor is paramount. Personally, I don't put much stock in 'clicking' but I absolutely require mutual respect. I don't go to the doctor's office to make friends, I go there to have a professional help me with my body. If they don't respect me and my input, or I don't respect them, it's not worth my time or theirs.

I live 20 miles from Mayo Clinic's home campus, so I've had no problems with respect in regards to my Crohn's treatment. But I went through half a dozen dentists before I found one who treated me with respect. Guess who got paid fucking bank to fix my teeth?

The patient has more power in the doctor/patient relationship than most people think. Don't be afraid to take your business elsewhere if a doctor rubs you the wrong way or seems incompetent or whatever.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Ok BG medical. I've been having trouble with some word location difficulties, tripping over my own feet and consistent headaches. Eventually got a neurology consult, got a MRI yesterday, today was asked to come back in next week for a follow up with the Neurologist due to "nonspecific changes" on my MRI. It's my first MRI ever, so nothing to compare against.

What am I looking at here?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

It means there's something in a place it's not specific to. Usually white matter in a head MRI. Given symptoms and vague MRI description, MS would be my first guess. You'll see nonspecific lesions on an MRI. Balance issues. Speech difficulties during exacerbations, etc. Again, could be nothing. But if I had to guess something...MS would be my first guess.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Shit.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    It means there's something in a place it's not specific to. Usually white matter in a head MRI. Given symptoms and vague MRI description, MS would be my first guess. You'll see nonspecific lesions on an MRI. Balance issues. Speech difficulties during exacerbations, etc. Again, could be nothing. But if I had to guess something...MS would be my first guess.
    My mom has MS, it's why I didn't ignore the symptoms.

BG Level

Sounds suspiciously like MS, but word-finding difficulty would be unusual. They're likely going to recommend a lumbar tap for comprehensive testing. It's the only way to be really sure.

Are you having any problems with your eyes, memory, or other things you noticed besides the headache and "tripping"?

The headache and focal changes are kinda worrisome and warrant further workup beyond testing for MS, even with a family history.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Sounds suspiciously like MS, but word-finding difficulty would be unusual. They're likely going to recommend a lumbar tap for comprehensive testing. It's the only way to be really sure.

Are you having any problems with your eyes, memory, or other things you noticed besides the headache and "tripping"?

The headache and focal changes are kinda worrisome and warrant further workup beyond testing for MS, even with a family history.
    Memory seems solid, other than the word location issue. My eyes are getting worse (I had Lasik 15 years ago) and I'm now 44, so probably just normal age and the age of the Lasik.

BG Level

Is it problems talking, or problems thinking of what to say?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag