Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I was in roughly the same boat as Salodin; 2-4 cases of tonsillitis a year with strep every other year roughly. I'm fit as a fiddle otherwise, but the tonsils were definitely an issue. Not a tonsillectomy advocate unless there are pronounced prior issues. Just talk it over with your doctor; we waited a few years just watching and seeing. Finally at 18 he recommended the procedure.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

EDIT: Fail, thought I was in the hockey thread

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

EDIT: Fail, thought I was in the hockey thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    It's been multiple years since I've needed a prescription for my inhaler. Also kind of weird since I'm living in Ohio now, and the most recent doctor I had seen is in Wisconsin. Further complicated by the fact that my PCP at that office left, and I never saw the new one that was temporarily assigned. I'm still planning to call them tomorrow morning when they're open, but I'm not optimistic.
    Update to this - the clinic back in Wisconsin begrudgingly called in the script for me. They were bewildered by the fact that I hadn't needed that script active since 2012, but apparently I explained the situation sufficiently convincingly that they were willing to help me out. Very relieved right now.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

That's good.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I have suffered from chronic tonsillitis including two times that gave me fevers that landed me in the emergency room in the 104-106 range with hallucinations. That sucked. They had to give me a huge shot of something right in my ass cheek to lower my fever rapidly or at least that is as much as I could understand at the time. I also have tonsil stones which makes it feel like there is something stuck in the back of my throat constantly but still the doctors have recommended to me to keep my tonsils for the reasons that Kuro gave.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I tried the Google and I didn't get much help. Can I take Alka Seltzer Plus (Day) Severe Sinus Congestion & Cough* [these last 4 hours] and Sudafed 12 Hour Sinus** at the same time?

*Acetaminophen / Dextromethorphan hydrobromide / Phenylephrine HCL

**Pseudoephedrine HCI Extended-Release Tablets

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

If you don't have a personal/familial history of heart issues, I'd guess you'll be fine. If you try it and it makes your heart race, I wouldn't try it a second time.

In the future, you should avoid buying medicine with Phenylephedrine in it. It's an ~active placebo that might cause heart issues (like everything else surnamed ephedrine) but isn't better than a sugar pill for the symptoms it's theoretically used to treat.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Thanks for the info. Why is it a placebo exactly? What medicines should I get instead (that don't have [Phenyl(ephedrine)] in it?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Koyangi View Post
    I tried the Google and I didn't get much help. Can I take Alka Seltzer Plus (Day) Severe Sinus Congestion & Cough* [these last 4 hours] and Sudafed 12 Hour Sinus** at the same time?

*Acetaminophen / Dextromethorphan hydrobromide / Phenylephrine HCL

**Pseudoephedrine HCI Extended-Release Tablets
    I think the better question is why you need both.

Phenylephrine is good on its own. Consider something else.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I agree that I typically just use pseudoephedrine, but phenylephrine does nothing for me as far as cold symptoms.

I'm not alone:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19230461
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26560899
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26362551
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi...s-doesnt-work/

BG Level

I think the issue is that phenylephrine is predominantly alpha oriented, and thus in low doses doesn't really achieve a wide effect.

Anecdotal though, it works well for me, vs ephedra, which gives me palpitations.

Thanks for posting that though, Byrth. Very interesting data.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Every time this thread pops up I just assume that it's Airenn saying she has gonorrhea. For some reason I am disappointed when I find that I'm wrong.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Every time this thread pops up I just assume that it's Airenn saying she has gonorrhea. For some reason I am disappointed when I find that I'm wrong.
    She hasn't posted in months, maybe the gonorrhea won.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Why you guys gotta shit on airenn like shes some kind of whore? Like its inevitable that she gets gonorrhea?

I mean cmon, be fair. She COULD get herpes instead.

BG Level

Statistically speaking you're more likely to shit on her.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Nah, not my fetish, but im sure statistically speaking she's amplified her chances of being shit on by several orders of magnitude.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'm noticing a trend with my partner and I. Whenever she's sick, I'm fine, and vise versa. Why don't we both get sick at the same time?

For example, I'm currently running a fever and trying to rest while she's out on the town having a fun day(She's earned it). She did have one day where she was a little more tired than usual, but aside from that, no symptoms.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

There are different stages in acute illness. Assume one of you gets sick because you rode the bus and touched a handhold or the button to stop the bus, touched a lightswitch at work, shared a phone and then transferred the virus to your mucus membranes by rubbing your eyes, putting your fingers in your mouth, picking your nose, etc.

You're probably also aware you have tons of bacteria that normally colonize your nose, mouth, pharynx, etc., right? Assuming you are healthy and your immune system works, it's usually not a problem.

There's usually an incubation period that lasts a variable amount of time starting from when you become infected. At this point there are no symptoms. After that variable incubation period there's usually a variable prodromal period where you only feel mild symptoms - your nose may be a bit runny, your throat may feel a bit scratchy, you may sporadically start coughing. This entire time, the causative bug (usually a virus but sometimes bacterial) is replicating.

After the prodromal period, you're really sick and feeling unwell. You symptoms are the worst they're going to be assuming your immune system works correctly, this lasts a variable amount of time but usually longer than the incubation or prodromal stages - this is a period of illness, which is followed by a period of decline (think decline as in population of the bug, not in your health, as your symptoms improve) as your cell-mediated immunity kicks in and fights the infection, so the causative bug is still replicating but your immune system is getting on top of it and reducing the population.

Lastly you have your convalescent stage where the worst of it is over, you may again have a sporadic cough or runny nose but you're returning to your state of health prior to the infection.

TL;DR: There are different stages in infection, you or your partner is getting it first, and the stages don't overlap perfectly because your immune systems differ. One of you is getting sick and passing whatever it is to the other person. Wash your hands more often and keep shared surfaces clean.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Hakkar

Bump

So went to the ER this past Tuesday and was told I have Pink eye, no idea how. Right eye is red, pupil wasnt expanding and sensitive to light, watering a lot, no pus color or crusty at all, feels like there is something in my eye but there is nothing, putting a warm cloth over it makes the pain feel A LOT worse. They gave me a tube of some gel called Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment that goes on the inside of the bottom eyelid. So been taking this stuff before going to bed since I dont have anyone to help me put it in before then, I have a big issue trying to put things in my eyes by myself. Been putting a towel over my pillow to keep that clean a little. Anyway my issue right now is, my vision has been getting worse, its now mostly blurry in the eye and the pain hasnt gone away very much. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow morning but not sure what else can be done. For now I am covering up that eye best i can to type and be in the light so cant do much research very much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag