1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 10 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 20 hours, 10 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cassalot

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Just saying, this can work against you. I personally make it a point never to buy from someone undercutting by 1 gil. It's asinine, and it starts undercutting wars for no reason. If you match prices you still show up first in the list because it sorts by most recent listings.
    hmmm I disagree. I've heard of some buyers doing the same as you but as far as an undercut war goes-- usually the price gets dropped a lot slower if I undercut by 1 gil. The person I undercut typically will follow suit. If you're nice typically other sellers will be nice too.

but yes I've heard of buyers doing the same thing.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think undercutting by 1 gil (or some other very low amount) is hugely advantageous to people who are willing and/or able to camp their summoning bell for extended periods of time tweaking their pricing. But on some of these items, unless it's like 3am when I list them, I can be sure that I'm going to be undercut within 30 minutes if I do a very small undercut. Often I just don't have the time or patience to camp the summoning bell for that long because then it just comes down to luck as far as who was able to modify their pricing the closest to when someone actually went to buy the item.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If you match prices you still show up first in the list because it sorts by most recent listings.
    Not true if your item is listed at the same price but the other person has a higher quantity of the item up.

Example is if I'm trying to sell 20 of something and somebody else is selling 30, if I match price they'll still be above me.

Just saying, this can work against you. I personally make it a point never to buy from someone undercutting by 1 gil. It's asinine, and it starts undercutting wars for no reason. If you match prices you still show up first in the list because it sorts by most recent listings.
    I'm guilty of this. It's bad habit from wow and jewelcrafter market

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    Not true if your item is listed at the same price but the other person has a higher quantity of the item up.

Example is if I'm trying to sell 20 of something and somebody else is selling 30, if I match price they'll still be above me.
    This seems off to me because I can't recall the marketboard being sorted by quantity, but I admittedly don't pay enough attention to confidently say you're wrong.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Often I just don't have the time or patience to camp the summoning bell for that long because then it just comes down to luck as far as who was able to modify their pricing the closest to when someone actually went to buy the item.
    But that isn't really "luck," because the more effort you spend resetting your prices, the more likely you are to be lowest when a buyer shows up.

I think "luck" more accurately describes a bunch of people putting up items for the same price and hoping that the buyer:

a) is buying from a market board associated to the same city your retainer is
    b) randomly chooses you out of everyone else in that city selling for the same price

That is definitely luck. I'd rather see a system where the people willing to put more effort into selling are likely to sell more quickly.

My personal approach to the situation is to avoid spending gil on anything I intend to (craft and) sell for a profit. At least then, I avoid taking a bath on poor market turns, and the only thing at stake is how much profit I get from the work I've already invested. So undercut me a little or undercut me a lot... I'm fine either way.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This seems off to me because I can't recall the marketboard being sorted by quantity, but I admittedly don't pay enough attention to confidently say you're wrong.
    It's very easy to check for yourself.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think they are talking about stack size. A person selling five single items will still be lower than a person selling one at the same price if the person selling one most recently accessed their retainer, but for stackable things a larger stack always goes above a smaller stack.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Also, I would pay for gw premium again if it let you know when you've been undercut. Just sayin.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    nah, i dont overprice by that much. i'll look at history and pick something on the higher end of the range thats actually been selling. if an item has a bunch of 1k listings currently but sold a bunch for 1500 yesterday, i'll list at 1500.
    You'll be surprised at the amount of people that don't do that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Depending on how many / demand for the item it's matching price or undercut a slight bit so last digits are 69 (haha so funny wow da bes). Usually sell food in stacks of 2-3 and pots 2-5. People hate buying in bulk unless they are one of the cool kids.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Did they change listings at some point? At one point the newest listed /revised item always used to list first. So if you matched the current price, your item would be listed first anyway so there wasn't any point with minor undercuts. I know it definitely used to be like that, not sure if it got changed at some point.

Generally speaking I used to just throw it up at market or even above market price (if it was a frequent selling item with only singles ahead of it) and wait it out. Granted a lot of my business used to be buying up all the stock of materias and relisting/converting as necessary. So I knew if I waited it out a few days, that shit would still sell anyway.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sukimin Yakumo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Depends on the item in question. For shit like relic mats that are fully completed, go as aggressive as fucking possible, because a sale nets you at least 500k in pure profit if not much more before people hopped on the market. For items you bulk craft and sell, if it sells it's profit regardless and you're usually not worried about when it sells.