1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 55 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 4 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BLM Cast Speed Exploit     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by ebil View Post
    They talked about it during the JP Duty Commenced. They're aware of its existence and are investigating. The last thing they want and need is more people being aware that this exists, which I guess is why they purged the posts, as they did when exploits were discovered in the past.
    I won't hold my breath.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I mean, it's not like it's going to affect me in any way so I don't care what they do (or don't). I was simply explaining what probably happened to the "WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM" person who posted before me, and why.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Well, if the JP community team is aware of it that means there might be hope for some kind of fix, or at least the a clever ability to track people who use it in raid and stuff. However, I don't think this is going to be that big of a deal in 3.2 because most groups pursuing world first are going to be recording their kills so if anyone was doing this it would be obvious. And because this exploit has released, any groups with Black Mages who don't record are now instantly suspicious unless they provide fflogs for people to analyze and make sure they're clean.

Sure, some people will use it to help them clear later, but other than that I really don't think it's a big deal since it's a tool based cheat and not something people can do organically through some kind of glitch in the game (meaning no chance to do it on accident etc).

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/t...=1#post3576473
    Quote Originally Posted by Naoki_Yoshida
    Hello, everyone.

FFXIV Producer and Director Yoshida here.

First, I would like to thank those who reported and investigated this matter! However, these reports are based on unofficial data, and not from official data, so we’re carefully investigating cases such as these.

From the reports received from everyone, we were able to confirm players circumventing aspects of the game system to, among other things, deal higher than intended levels of damage. Also, we would like to assure you all that this is something we take very seriously.

We have conducted an investigation based on official logs that were accumulated within the development team, and we have already identified the cause. For security reasons I won’t delve into specifics, but there already exist several checks and balances in place for irregularities in output damage, as well as strict limitations that have been set on the system-side. However, in order to avoid players from experiencing unexpected lag, or severely lowered level of gameplay comfortability, the system allows a certain amount of room for the decision to be made. For the case at hand, we have decided to carry out a stricter measure for unjustifiably speeding-up within the boundaries that have been set.

As we are nearing the release of Patch 3.2 and the introduction of the next raid tier, the development team has already implemented a stricter log observation, as well as a stricter automated detection for any data irregularities on the server-side.

I would like to mention that should we find tools which unjustifiably control the client process speed, or tools which modify the packets, we will not hesitate to carry out punishment such as banning the offending players.

We thank you all for sharing this information with us!
    Please continue to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XIV!

And, of course, please look forward to Patch 3.2.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Now to stalk the dude's lodestone and see if we can tell if he gets banned.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

RIP Stutter stepping after that. Combined with his comments about Midas requiring a lot more movement...

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

How does that have anything to do with stutter stepping? It just says they're monitoring the logs and irregular data more closely. Really sounds to me like nothing is changing, they are just aware that people are abusing things in ways they might not have thought was an issue before.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    How does that have anything to do with stutter stepping? It just says they're monitoring the logs and irregular data more closely. Really sounds to me like nothing is changing, they are just aware that people are abusing things in ways they might not have thought was an issue before.
    When they fixed the infinite flare exploit, they ended up breaking something which became visible when we started using F4.

The person was abusing the time you get between your cast finishing on your end and the cast finishing on the servers end. He was using a third party program to force a cast during that period. That is the same period of time you have to stutter step (which is allowed by the client).

So if they fix it to make it not possible, they either have to make it so third party programs can't interact with the game (lol), or make it so that window is as small as possible. Or, knowing SE, leave it and do jack.

If people really want them to fix it just spread the word on how to do it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Or everyone could start doing it and keep it under wraps until SE finds out. After all, they can't ban the entire endgame community, that would be absurd...

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    When they fixed the infinite flare exploit, they ended up breaking something which became visible when we started using F4.

The person was abusing the time you get between your cast finishing on your end and the cast finishing on the servers end. He was using a third party program to force a cast during that period. That is the same period of time you have to stutter step (which is allowed by the client).

So if they fix it to make it not possible, they either have to make it so third party programs can't interact with the game (lol), or make it so that window is as small as possible. Or, knowing SE, leave it and do jack.
    I don't read his post as saying anything is going to be implemented other than, "We're watching now, so don't do it." because they weren't looking for it before; but now the cat is out of the bag. I think his explanation is moreso saying, "We don't make it more restrictive so you can have room".

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    If people really want them to fix it just spread the word on how to do it.
    They know what the issue is already.

I know, what I'm saying is the more people that know how to do it the more impetus they have to fix it as it becomes a greater issue.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I don't read his post as saying anything is going to be implemented other than, "We're watching now, so don't do it." because they weren't looking for it before; but now the cat is out of the bag. I think his explanation is moreso saying, "We don't make it more restrictive so you can have room".
    I read this as them making it more stricter:

"For the case at hand, we have decided to carry out a stricter measure for unjustifiably speeding-up within the boundaries that have been set."

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hafa Nana
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I read this as them making it more stricter:

"For the case at hand, we have decided to carry out a stricter measure for unjustifiably speeding-up within the boundaries that have been set."
    I think that in this sentence he just states the fact that they a taking a measure (nothing specific). And in the next sentence explains what this measure is (tuning their log monitoring). It's just PR language to make an impression that something is really being done.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They definitely monitor early raid attempts, particularly ones during the world first race. It's likely that they're just saying they'll add this to the list of things to check for.

If you remember, during SCoB there was a group with no raid experience and really shitty gear in the running for some very early clears, and they all ended up banned by SE. Turns out they were position hacking to beat T8.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob View Post
    They definitely monitor early raid attempts, particularly ones during the world first race. It's likely that they're just saying they'll add this to the list of things to check for.

If you remember, during SCoB there was a group with no raid experience and really shitty gear in the running for some very early clears, and they all ended up banned by SE. Turns out they were position hacking to beat T8.
    Yep! They were on my server. There was a dude wearing vendor gear and a high allagan casting body when only one FC had cleared week 1...

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ezreal Nightrage
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

This thread is the reason I'm permanently banned from reddit The fear of witch hunting is too real.

I do hope the team is monitoring this closely though, I don't like the idea of wondering who is using exploits and who isn't when I'm considering progression.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cem Bob
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Are there any tell tale signs of this exploit being used? I have a feeling that now this exploit is common knowledge that it's catching on a bit.

Yesterday my VA party kicked a guy for allegedly using it (I didn't notice myself, his dps was good but not astronomical good), and I just had a very awry experience with an i200ish blm parsing nearly 1.5k on each boss in A6, which aroused my suspicions. He had a few strings of 3-4 F4s in a row, but as we had an ast in the party so I can't discount the possibility that he's legit. Though he did a few 3x chains outside of leylines for sure.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

FFLogs. Upload the parse there and it should be fairly obvious from their cast times.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

With the new Umbral Fire changes, it's totally feasible to land 3x Fire 4 even without Leylines. I can't comment on whether or not it's possible to do 4 using Leylines without Swift.