1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 48 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Yoshi-P on PVP and "The gears of change" - Famitsu translation

First try at translating so I apologize beforehand for any possible mistakes. I nowadays mostly lurk so some of the terms etc may be a bit off.

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201602/15099357.html

What are your thoughts on today's event?

Yoshida: We certainly had some top plays... and a few not so (laughs), but nevertheless it was a fun event packed with excitement. Team Square Enix, a mixed team of beginners and veterans showed surprising performance. Although the event was not held at Square Enix, I am glad that we were able to hold our very first PvP tournament.

As you were watching the tournament yourself, didn't that make you want to participate?

Yoshida: I play during my free time, but as a producer I could not possibly take somebody else's seat (laughs). There is also the aspect of seeing so many devoted players attending, so I try to refrain myself.

What about playing as a backup?

Yoshida: As Wolves' Den is fast paced, some viewers might not understand what is happening or why it is fun. In that sense, it makes sense that an experienced player would commentate the tournament. That way many different types of players would enjoy watching the tournament. However, it was the first time for me as well and it was not easy so... (laughs)

A new PvP called "The Feast" will be released in the upcoming 3.2 patch. What kind of advice would you give to those tournament viewer's who want to become good at PvP?

Yoshida: First of all, I think one should think more about techniques and skills that one can utilize instead of focusing on who the opponent is. In PvE you can perhaps use some of the skills casually and for example many areas can be cleared without using Black Mage's "Aetherial Manipulation". The point in PvP is to understand how and when to use certain skills in a calm manner.

So the next step would be to work as a team and have a grasp on what is going on in the battlefield?

Yoshida: I think you can focus on that later because it is more important to focus on the opponent you are currently facing. If you cannot do that first, focusing on the action around you is meaningless.

Does that apply to "The Feast" as well?

Yoshida: Yes. Since it will be 8vs8 I can guarantee that things will get hectic. That being said, it might be a better idea to focus on your own game.

After watching today's tournament, it would be great to have a spectator function...

Yoshida: We are already working on it and it will be released within 3.X series at latest.

Can everyone spectate and what is the function going to be like?

Yoshida: We are making 2 spectator modes. The first one will be similar to what you saw today. There will be several cameras around the battlefield and spectators are able to switch between these cameras. The second mode will be one where you can choose a player you want to follow.

So in other words you will be able to learn from other players by following how they move and perform actions.

Yoshida: That's right. By following skilled players you can learn a lot yourself.

Lack of healers might become a problem after the release of "The Gears of Change". Are there any plans to counter this possibility?

Yoshida: Targeting the healers first in "The Feast" might not always be the best option. In fact, our test team targets opponent's DPS most of the time. This is not to say that you cannot do so, but if something goes wrong (Ie you are not able to kill the healers quickly) the consequences are rather high.

Can you get revived in "The Feast"?

Yoshida: Similar to "Frontline", you can both get revived and/or choose to restart and return to the battlefield. It will not be pure deathmatch so I hope many healers will also have the courage to participate.

Will there be similar Wolves' Den tournament events after the release of "The Gears of Change"?

Yoshida: We are going to focus on "The Feast" for the time being.

Today's event was official tournament, right?

Yoshida: Actually no. As it is "e-sports MaX" tournament, the organizer is "e-sports MaX". We do recognize the tournament, but as we did not organize the event I would not call it an "official event".

Are there any plans on hosting such official events in the future?

Yoshida: Of course. However as mentioned earlier, implementing two camera modes is essential. We are also making a test mode called "duel mode" (1vs1) and a similar test mode for teams. You can also practice PvP with your friends by using these modes, so it is a good opportunity for those who are hesitant to use content finder. After both features are done, we can hold an official tournament of our own. I feel that if we rush things and organize a tournament now, it would be a premature move from our part.

If PvP becomes popular, would you consider developing more PvP areas?

Yoshida: That is a good question. We will have to see how many players are going to enjoy "The Feast". I am hoping it to be content that motivates players to keep on playing FF14. This is why it is currently one of my top priorities. Other than that, a simple test server where players could try PvP in all areas is something that I would like to implement. That is something that requires support from the playerbase, but I would definitely want to implement it some day. Switching PvP on and off however itself is a little... (laughs). If we do that, we might run into problems where people camp around Aetherytes and try to kill spawning players. To counter this, we would have to set some form of system to prevent such activity.

I am looking forward to that day. For the time being, I am waiting for 23rd of February and the tournament video!

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Q. "-Will there be similar tournament events after the release of "The Gears of Change"?-" answer is probably off. There is a term I haven't heard of but i'll try to get it fixed soon unless someone can check it out before me.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Thank you for the translation!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks for this! Looks like there will be an interview about 3.2 stuff published Thursday in the weekly Famitsu magazine thing. Teaser article mentions that basically all of the new content and adjustments were touched on in the interview.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The interview is out and I'm working on translation. Warden's Paean will essentially have the effect of Esuna added, so it can both remove current debuffs and prevent future ones. They also said the cast and recast would be adjusted to be suitable for the effects.

For tanks, no nerfs, all positive adjustments. Likely no or very minor changes to warrior (specifically mentioned no Fell Cleave nerf). The adjustments focused primarily on upgrading the effects of the stances to highlight the advantages and disadvantages of each as well as balance the three jobs (no specifics).

As anything significant comes up, I'll post some new info. Otherwise, hold out for the full translation, hopefully by tonight.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

>Tanks are all now going to use vit and be tanky as fuck
    >No fell cleave nerf

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Content confirmed to be tested on a server that never received the 2.1 war buff

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

The fact that I'm not fully convinced you're kidding speaks volumes.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The fact that I'm not fully convinced you're kidding speaks volumes.
    For some reason this comment speaks deja-vu.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Still working through the translation on and off, still expecting to have it finished tonight.

Couple random notes...

No changes to Gordias yet; same schedule as with coil. Will be queue-able as full party only at 3.2 release, and in a few weeks they'll allow solo queue, add Echo, and make mechanic adjustments.

Mechanics in Midas, and the Midas bosses themselves, have more of an emphasis on movement than those in Gordias.

He wouldn't spill the beans on the IL increase but said it wouldn't be a surprise. The spread will be greater than 2.X series with normal Alexander in the mix.

The Feast has supply boxes that players can use to obtain single-use items like an "Adrenaline Kit" that fills the Adrenaline gauge. One PvP-wide change being made is that all jobs will be able to use Sprint at no cost.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Justina Suntail
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

SE has no clue how to balance their game or they are afraid to nerf war because of the state it was In @2.0 launch and I'm tired of trying to convince casuals that its not fine the way it is.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So it sounds like:
    Alex normal/Sephirot - 220
    Lore - 230
    Savage/upgrade lore - 240