Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wow 15 attack and blind resist on Cloud's goggles? Fuck that wasn't even worth it...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Down to 15%, 6 dogs killed + 2 spawning. Better planning on use of Soul Breaks and some luck with Squall targeting the charging flare orb with his SB instead of a dog and this is won.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    Wow 15 attack and blind resist on Cloud's goggles? Fuck that wasn't even worth it...
    The 5 star orbs are worth it though! :D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Robertfb View Post
    The 5 star orbs are worth it though! :D
    And the Black Crysta... oh...

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

God damn my bullshit luck. Had him at 2% with no adds up, pretty much everyone at full except Lenna who died, Cloud triggering his SB, eats a 5k flare to the face, immediately puts up giga flare orb, had to S/L. Just tried again, had him at 15%, again cloud's SB going, another Giga Flare to the face and couldn't s/l in time.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Considering how much minor blind resistance gave, major resist should make you damn near immune to blind.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Son of a fucking bitch. Complete only.

Got stuck up waiting on the last 2 dogs to spawn before killing (my fauly for trying to time flare orbs dying to get that extra damage on the dogs), and I knew I should have S/L but I was so close I took the chance. Used a mythril and luckily got ability uses while charging up SB gauges. Not sure if I want to go back in and spend another for the Major orbs...

Might wait and see if Flames of War pops again in my RW selection and I feel like spending the time to try it again. Otherwise I might cut my losses, do the FF8 event, and move on.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ikuni Kuni
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

This ultimate is fucking ridiculous, screw it. All the others I have beaten within 5 S/L and only Beatrix was approaching 10 because of timing issues on my part. Four hours of S/L, and 240 stamina wasted.

Tried Mage Meta (my normal setup), and various Physical setups (my better VII synergy). I just don't have the damage. Native Wall and HoTE isn't enough and I'm forced into using HoTF as a RW because the incoming damage is still high. Maybe I'll try again later but this fight is designed for people with great natural SSB/BSB and I've had enough.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Finally beat it on my next attempt but lost on master as I killed before the last two dogs spawned.

EAST BAY JEDI DONT GIVE A FUCK
    BG Level

Mastered it and fucking done fuck this fight to hell lol. Its just such a pain with those stupid adds but im glad i mastered and can say fuck it

Relic Shield
    BG Level

This one was pretty fun, I champ'd ultimate after two experts (whoops). Wall of text incoming.

My VII endgame synergy is great but not overwhelming - going into the event I had 4++ metal knuckle, 4+ crystal bangle, 5 candle rod, and 5+ gold sword. I'd been jonesining for upgrades for a while and pulled; I got 5 pole axe, 5 precious watch, and ended up with 3++ shinra beta after the event. I was very happy with pole axe as well, it was a central reason I pulled and was not disappointed at all.

Throughput stats pre RM with RS and other info since I hate uploading pics:
    432 atk Cid (63) - lifesiphon 3 , magic break 4, Hyper Jump, Knight's Charge
    353 atk snow (63): Lifesiphon 3 , Armor Break 5, Sovereign Fist, Dragoon's Determination
    237 atk Tyro (80): ochu tentacle++ (yes, yes, please do not be jealous) - Draw fire 3 , full break 2, sentinel's grimoire, mako might
    366 MND Yuna (66): curaja 4, shellga 2, hymn of the fayth, dr mog (she carried the lucky shinra beta++)
    360 atk Balthier: lifesiphon 3, dismissal 4, tides of fate, self sacrifice
    RW: Planet Protector
    I broke the piggy bank for lifesiphon for this one, prior to today I had one. The siphons funded the AOES used to simultaneously kill dogs+orbs.

Strategy: First setup I used involved hastebot eiko in balthier's place and a more AOE centric team, because I was very worried about damage, and MaBD on Tyro. It turns out that bahamut really doesn't output a lot of AOE magic damage (ST on the other hand...) assuming you break the spheres, so I was perfectly safe but missed actions taken by about 20. Second run involved a similar setup as above with Lunatic High RW but the damage was insufficient - I miscalculated how good yuna could do with ifrit and wasn't able to handle the creepers, as I have no mage stick for 7. I ended up going with the strategy of TPing on bahamut until he pops orb 1, then use the RW charges of planet protector to take out orb 1+2 and 3+4 in that order. PP ran out at the very end so Fake Burst Mode Cid solo'd bahamut from there on out and took out the last 20K HP by himself.

Draw fire ends up being really good if you can put it on a backrow character because it saves a protecga slot, lets you do backrow for even more defense, and also lets you control whose SB is being charged. I don't know how good it would be without RW or native SG/SS2; you would probably need to run a drain strike or paladin for extra heals because the AOE physicals can hurt. Someone like Golbez might make good use of it - candle rod at least has 110 MAG so he can sort of spam heals.

To sum it up, you want DPS for bahamut, burst for the orbs (assuming you time it right each orb killed repays you 30k HP of damage plus healing, so they're worth killing), AOE for the mobs, phys mitigation at high HP and magic mitigation on bahamut at low so 500 SPD flares don't obliterate you. Easy right?

Other random notes:
    Protectga+Shellga are plenty sufficient to substitute for SG assuming you keep bahamut's magic debuffed, I was seeing 1100-1500ish Flares with SG on depending on phase. HOTF can be substituted with candle rod and drain skills. A mythril restart can be used to prep soulbreak bars. Without strong DD soul breaks, seriously consider using drain skills as DPS and bursting orbs with a 5* (explosive fist/barrage/flashing blade). Lifesiphon's damage is pretty poor so it's a tradeoff.

Go 3* breaks! Still so good.

Prime Minister of Salt

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Omega Deathbringer
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

1/1'd this, but lost too many action medals......

I'll do a rematch after I burn through Laguna's event

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man, fuck Bahamut SIN but not for the reasons you'd think.

Basically I'm an idiot and thought no deaths was a medal condition. So I reset at least like 3-4 mastery runs where someone died at low HP. I then took an expert clear by not letting the 7/8th dogs pop as someone had died and I thought I was fucked on medals already.

Luckily went 1/1 on the retry and was smoothest yet with everyone at 75% HP or higher at the end.

For anyone interested I used this set-up and I think it is mostly reliable for mastery if you're not an idiot like me and reset good runs

Spoiler: show

Sephiroth would be better than Gilgamesh but I didn't have a good weapon for him
    Lightning / Zack can be subbed out for whatever heavy hitting SB guys you have (Lifesiphon preferred, Drain Strike isn't essential just helps)

Lifesiphon R3 +R4
    Drain Strike R4
    Fire Blossom R3
    Flashing Blade R1
    Full Break R1
    Magic Breakdown R3
    Shellga R2
    Curaja R4

Shellga + LH up straight away
    Wall RW up after first flare, second Wall goes up after third flare
    Save Lightning SB's for charged Flares
    Zack's SB was used for a mix of Flares and clearing adds
    LH and PP kept up as best as I could

Red and Gilgamesh did run out of hones at the end but it didn't matter as Zack/Lightning were the muscle. Gilgamesh was just for adds really

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This was the first event that a mage meta was just not working for me at all. I only have 1 5* (with VII synergy) staff so even with Lulu's Focus, Ruinga and Meteor were hitting for only ~5k. Did a few pulls and got Cloud's BSSB, made the difference. Zacks SB that stuns is pretty nice too

Spoiler: show

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Son of a fucking bitch. Complete only.

Got stuck up waiting on the last 2 dogs to spawn before killing (my fauly for trying to time flare orbs dying to get that extra damage on the dogs), and I knew I should have S/L but I was so close I took the chance. Used a mythril and luckily got ability uses while charging up SB gauges. Not sure if I want to go back in and spend another for the Major orbs...

Might wait and see if Flames of War pops again in my RW selection and I feel like spending the time to try it again. Otherwise I might cut my losses, do the FF8 event, and move on.
    I can switch to flames of war if you want, currently running cloud's bssb. B52d is my code.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So regearing to try for a SB build on Monday. Thoughts on this? And which RW would you recommend?

Feeling your hones are too low, personally. One more in Bladeblitz would be good and I'd almost say to move it Tifa so she and Seph can burn down the adds. You'll need 2 uses from each char to do the job, likely, though they may live with a sliver. This is often where having Bahamut's orbs explode on them can be handy. Otherwise, Tifa can Life Siphon when it's just Bahamut. The LS also should really get another level each, even though I understand that'll be orb costly. Seph could get a good ST attack in place of BB, too, obviously.

Functionally, your build isn't much different than mine was in spirit. I used Boon as my RW, though, with Lenna as my healer and using her mass regen default. Y'sh being your wall duty might be spotty since you could need some cures while putting it back up. I personally had Tyro doing what Red otherwise would be for you. In the end, if you can get those hones up, I think you can do it. Just may need a few retries to get a feel for pacing on adds on hoping you get 5 turn flares instead of the 3.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

PP helped me a lot, which I had naturally but if I didn't have Yuffie's aoe cure I'm not sure I could have wasted a turn getting it on. Yuffie also had Ace Striker so it was up a lot. It also freed up Aerith to keep shell up esp at the end. Those flares hurt even with ss up

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by mistmonster View Post
    PP helped me a lot, which I had naturally but if I didn't have Yuffie's aoe cure I'm not sure I could have wasted a turn getting it on. Yuffie also had Ace Striker so it was up a lot. It also freed up Aerith to keep shell up esp at the end. Those flares hurt even with ss up
    That's kind of way I ran Protectga and Magic BD and kept a Shellga shared SB in my pocket for later on Aeris when she wasn't killing dogs.

Rooney, that would be great. Gonna be done with ff8 and have stamina to burn so I might try another run tonight or monday.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Should I bother with BB? Seems like a niche skill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast