Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Non-spoiler but wow, didn't expect that arrival. Love it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I was definitely not expecting that ending but man I got hella excited all the same.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

YOOOO

I haven't legitimately jaw dropped while reading a manga in a very long time...many years...Holy shit what a twist and reveal

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I fucking knew he wasn't done. Fuck yes.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

YES, SIRRAH! My man is BACK!

I swear the writing for the female characters in this is Naruto levels of bad.

Spoiler: show
    Nejire: "I'm gonna have a cool hero moment that has nothing to do with an unquenchable thirst for MC diiiiiiick"
    Jk lol
    Anyway, here's Mirio

Elsewhere someone had pointed out in a panel with All Might and Eri sitting down together that her horn was smaller/gone, which with no other nod, was probably the sole clue that she managed to heal Mirio.

But yeah, should be interesting to see what he can do without having to protect a hostage.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    I swear the writing for the female characters in this is Naruto levels of bad.
    You thinkin' its another example of a Toriyama-esque "I can't write women because I'm bad with them because I'm neerrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!"?

It's more like he only knows how to write women in two ways: either as love/lust interests, or as background characters. Which yeah, I guess could be "because nerd". There's also the consideration that this is still a shonen manga, which means there could also be pressure from higher up the food chain. Then again, wtf do I know about what goes into publishing a manga, much less a shonen manga?

I've put entirely too much thought and energy into this for my liking.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I mean the women are still fanservice-y in design but thats par-for-the-genre, there are at least two I'd consider pretty decent characters. Mirko and Mt. Lady both get their time to shine and did damn good considering the circumstances, more than most of the other male "Background" characters. Though I think background is a cheap shot when you consider the sheer scope of the characters in this manga, some are bound to get less time, but I'd argue aside from Ocacha, none of the other 1-A female students are there to chase MC, and all have had a decent amount of screen time.

Also its not like the vast majority of male heroes aren't "Background noise" and lust interests too, I don't think I can count on both hand the number of shirtless abs scenes/drawings of the male heroes. This is just a bias in that ya'll probably aren't gay for them, but there are plenty of male heroes there to be eye candy.

Ocacha is pretty much Hinata though, except with slightly more self confidence.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by NotGreyheim View Post
    I've put entirely too much thought and energy into this for my liking.
    That's what makes you a fan = fanatic.

It is what it is.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post

Also its not like the vast majority of male heroes aren't "Background noise" and lust interests too, I don't think I can count on both hand the number of shirtless abs scenes/drawings of the male heroes. This is just a bias in that ya'll probably aren't gay for them, but there are plenty of male heroes there to be eye candy.
    I think it's about the fact that even if the females are adequately represented and written in the background, the foreground is a sausage fest.

The heavy hitters for both generations are all male -- All Might and Endeavor followed by Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

True, guess that stuff doesn’t even register on my radar. Other than a few groaning cliches like Hinata, Orihime, or Ocacha where they’re always written just poorly enough to never do anything meaningful and chase the MC, anyway. (unless it’s brought up, like here).

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I think it's about the fact that even if the females are adequately represented and written in the background, the foreground is a sausage fest.

The heavy hitters for both generations are all male -- All Might and Endeavor followed by Deku, Bakugo, and Todoroki.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Add onto this the fact that both Mirio and Tamaki have had big moments to show why they're considered 2 of the 3 strongest of the generation, then when it looks like Nejire is going to have a similar chance, she gets merked instead. I'm hoping it's a swerve and she still gets her moment, but I don't see how that happens without deus eri machina. Though I guess that pandora's box is already open with
    Mirio back on the board

Mt. Lady and Mirko have been great this arc, but that's 2 instances out of how many characters over how long? I just want to see more well written characters. They've been pretty stop-start with Momo in terms of character growth, but I think there's some good potential there. Same with Jiro. The school festival arc turned her from someone who was just kinda there into a character with some actual depth. When they DO expand on characters, they do a good job of it. I just wish they'd do it more is all.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    True, guess that stuff doesn’t even register on my radar. Other than a few groaning cliches like Hinata, Orihime, or Ocacha where they’re always written just poorly enough to never do anything meaningful and chase the MC, anyway. (unless it’s brought up, like here).
    Which is the point. The fact there's no female focal point among the main characters is glaringly obvious when you look at it. But since shounen is literally written for boys, most readers don't notice it. But this is literally what "woke" people say when they say representation matters.

It's very common in the genre for the girls to become forgettable or just background characters. I think the big exception to this is Negima but that was because it started as a harem manga...

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Which is the point. The fact there's no female focal point among the main characters is glaringly obvious when you look at it. But since shounen is literally written for boys, most readers don't notice it. But this is literally what "woke" people say when they say representation matters.

It's very common in the genre for the girls to become forgettable or just background characters. I think the big exception to this is Negima but that was because it started as a harem manga...
    Hard to argue there lol, but its difficult for me to provide a worthwhile conversation here because these things aren't even in the back of my mind when reading, let alone the front. I'm too lazy to reread everything too.

I'd like to see more of is Kyoka, enjoy her as a character. I guess I kinda just come to accept in these 100+ Character/Cast Shonen Manga where they release a new set of heroes basically every chapter that a lot of them are going to be lost in the background, whcih sucks, cause while I do like these genre of Manga, I do really wish there was more focus on the core-cast/Students like there was in the earlier chapters.

That bunny chick was doing some major ass-kicking. She was sexualized out the ass while doing it, but she was All Might without a dick for a few chapters.

Think part of the problem is this fight/arc has really dragged on, too. But yes, giant cast-itis is a curse of many shounen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag