BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

$210 can be R9 390 territory during a good sale. Just gotta be patient. My question is, I see the cpu being purchased from Micro Center, but the motherboard elsewhere. Why?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Specifically, the motherboard you chose does not have onboard WiFi, so if you need that, you'll have to add a PCIe (or USB, I guess) wireless adapter.

The Radeon 380 probably will not give you a perfect Dark Souls 3 experience, at 1080p, maxed out. It'll be decent though. If your budget doesn't allow you to spend more on a graphics card, you could cut the memory down to only 8GB (still perfectly fine for gaming) and save $40 to spend elsewhere in the system. Note, if you do decide to cut the memory to 8GB, make sure you still get two modules (2x4GB) to take advantage of the dual-channel memory controller in the Z170.

Lastly (and forgive me if I overlooked something you said previously), you don't seem to have a storage drive in your configuration. A 120GB SSD will be overflowing before you know it if you don't include another drive of some type.
    I was planning on waiting for a second hard drive when I see a great deal on one. I switched the graphics card for a Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card.

That pre-built seems tempting, but people are saying its used with the cheapest parts?

edit: nevermind ran into some possible compatibility issues, so I don't think I can use that card. Sucks because that was the only 8 gig video card less than $300

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veikuri View Post
    I was planning on waiting for a second hard drive when I see a great deal on one. I switched the graphics card for a Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card.

That pre-built seems tempting, but people are saying its used with the cheapest parts?

edit: nevermind ran into some possible compatibility issues, so I don't think I can use that card. Sucks because that was the only 8 gig video card less than $300
    If you can start buying parts right this minute, buy this power supply ASAP. $55 after rebate, 80+ Gold Seasonic OEM. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371073

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just bought it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    $210 can be R9 390 territory during a good sale. Just gotta be patient. My question is, I see the cpu being purchased from Micro Center, but the motherboard elsewhere. Why?
    Sorry, didn't see this. I just buy from wherever is the cheapest. Is that not good?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Just bought it, thanks.

Sorry, didn't see this. I just buy from wherever is the cheapest. Is that not good?
    It just depends. Just because pcpartpicker says an item is a certain price does not mean it's the best deal. I'll ask again though, you chose your cpu from Micro Center but the motherboard elsewhere. Why? You do live near a Micro Center correct? If so, which one?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Micro Center usually has REALLY good combo deals on CPU's and motherboards, when bought from a physical store location.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    It just depends. Just because pcpartpicker says an item is a certain price does not mean it's the best deal. I'll ask again though, you chose your cpu from Micro Center but the motherboard elsewhere. Why? You do live near a Micro Center correct? If so, which one?
    I live by the Brooklyn/Gowanus Expy one. Never been there, but gps says its very close. I told you why, because of pricing.

Edit: Did you mean CPU and CPU cooler? My CPU and Motherboard on the link is both purchased from Microcenter, the cooler is from another website

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I live by the Brooklyn/Gowanus Expy one. Never been there, but gps says its very close. I told you why, because of pricing.
    Micro Center's gpu+mb combo deal will almost never be beat. From that location specifically and the motherboard you chose, they currently have it open box for $71.96. It is labeled complete so it should come with SATA cables and the I/O shield. Factor in the $20 off Intel cpu/mb combo (it does qualify for open box) and the $99.89 option chose from B&H Photo is now $51.96. Link to motherboard. Your Micro Center has a 30 day return on open box it seems so buy it and test immediately. MC is one of the safest places to buy open box because the return policy is so easy just in case anything is bad. Also, don't forget for ANY purchase at Micro Center over $30, always bring your $5 off $30 for a single item coupon.

The savings on the motherboard (roughly $55) should be put into a stronger gpu. This definitely gets you into 390 land. Right this minute I'm not seeing any crazy deals but they do pop up. Usually around $270. Or, hit the secondary gpu market.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Edit: Did you mean CPU and CPU cooler? My CPU and Motherboard on the link is both purchased from Microcenter, the cooler is from another website
    I worked 10 minutes from there and know the people there. Not the brightest but the do go out of their way to get you deals or complete sets on open box items.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I pulled the trigger on that $900 hp i7-6700k with the 970 D: I'm really just not in the mood to build things anymore and that seemed like a very good deal, I have a psu I can swap out so fingers crossed

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I mean it comes with a 6700k so it can't be all that bad. It's a damn good start to something better if you ever get the feels to build something. Good luck to you and definitely report back if you don't mind.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Here was a good deal on a 380, for anyone else: http://slickdeals.net/f/8579430-xfx-...d-171ar-newegg time limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    I pulled the trigger on that $900 hp i7-6700k with the 970 D: I'm really just not in the mood to build things anymore and that seemed like a very good deal, I have a psu I can swap out so fingers crossed
    Do keep us informed!

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Went to Microcenter and picked up my intel i5, motherboard(open box), 2x 8gig RAM, and a keyboard/mouse combo. It seems my motherboard didn't come with the SATA cables, and the cashier said that I couldn't get the $20 off since it was a clearance item. :/ I was able to get the $5 off my stuff tho.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Went to Microcenter and picked up my intel i5, motherboard(open box), 2x 8gig RAM, and a keyboard/mouse combo. It seems my motherboard didn't come with the SATA cables, and the cashier said that I couldn't get the $20 off since it was a clearance item. :/ I was able to get the $5 off my stuff tho.
    That is bullshit. Open box does qualify for the $20 combo. Manager has to override it. I've bought a ton of cpu + open box mb. I'd complain.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Ahh, I didn't ask for a manager. I'll call tomorrow and see what will happen. I'm trying to go for a different graphics card, but it seems all the ones with high reviews all say "gaming" on it and someone told me not to buy those due to mark ups. I'm still undecided on which graphics card to buy.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Ahh, I didn't ask for a manager. I'll call tomorrow and see what will happen. I'm trying to go for a different graphics card, but it seems all the ones with high reviews all say "gaming" on it and someone told me not to buy those due to mark ups. I'm still undecided on which graphics card to buy.
    Not sure if it's like this at all MC, but when I call my local MC I get a call center and they say they can't connect to a store directly, but will offer to call you back. If it's close I'd just go there. Also, I recall your budget for gpu was around $180-$200. Right now at your MC there is an open box Asus R9 390 for $271.96 before tax. Here is the deal though. That card has a $20 mail in rebate to bring it down to $251 before tax. Also it comes with a free copy of the new Hitman game. Alsoooo, if the date on the open box sticker is 30 days or more you can request them to take an additional 20% off. You can also print a new $5 off $30 coupon. If that gpu qualifies for the extra 20% off, that would potentially make that gpu $191 before tax and after rebate and $5 off coupon. A STEAL for that powerful of a gpu.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll head there Monday to buy the graphics card and see if I can get the $20

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I think I'm going to go with that. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll head there Monday to buy the graphics card and see if I can get the $20
    No problem. That's what we're here for! You definitely will get the $20 as you can push for it because that's what's owed. You bought a qualifying cpu and all motherboards qualify. There is no arguing it on MC's side. Below is a receipt where I bought an open box board (clearance is the giveaway) and they honor the combo discount.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm trying to go for a different graphics card, but it seems all the ones with high reviews all say "gaming" on it and someone told me not to buy those due to mark ups.
    Heh, sorry about that, didn't think you'd take it completely literal. Graphics cards in the $200+ range have mainly one purpose, gaming, or compute performance (think rendering for CAD, compressing video, or other complex maths geared for the hardware [like amd firepro or nvidia quadro]). Things like keyboards, mice, mouse pads, chairs, dvd roms, computer cases, usb cables, hdmi cables, drinks, etc (things that will make less or little actual difference) with "gaming" in the name tend to be dumb markups that are plainly visible when comparing to other, similar items (unless gawdy colors/lights and fatal1ty/etc branding are your things). I mentioned it when you chose needlessly expensive motherboard and ram (not to knock the possible quality, but it's generally unnecessary).

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

So i went to the manager and he pretty much said the same crap. I showed the picture and he gave excuses like you bought a new one but they only had a clearance so they gave you the clearance price and also the discount or it was just an error etc. Picked up the graphics card today as well.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast