Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Handy. I'll test tonight if I have the proper screw drivers. If not I need to invest in a proper all in 1 kit

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thinking of upgrading from GTX760 to GTX970 now that I have some spending money. I can't imagine I'll have any issues or conflicts swapping the cards out, and the 970 uses even less power than the 760 does according to MFG specs, so no power supply concerns. I might go for a beefier exhaust fan but does anyone else have any concerns that jump out at them?

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

3.5gb vram is my issue with the 970 so for me it's an automatic no. Another easy pass is what Nvidia did to Kepler cards after releasing Maxwell. Long story short, Kepler's performance decreased after Maxwell's release. Can find the info pretty much anywhere. Once Pascal comes out, who's to say the same won't happen to Maxwell? AMD so far has pulled ahead in all DX12, a 390 is usually less, and it has 8gb vram. I'd go with AMD.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HBtzmG

finally got around to throwing out my build i just finished. the prices listed aren't what i paid for, everything i picked up from microcenter.
    got some good deals on some open box and discounted items from there, they were all better listed than what newegg or anywhere else had down a few weeks ago.
    I'm pretty happy with it, the case is simple and i only really had an issue installing the CPU fan on there. The Hyper 212 was a pain trying to set down and get screwed in with only 2 hands, it had me wishing I had another set of hands to help out.
    I salvaged my 1TB HDD from my old build to use as storage, and now the only thing I'm really looking at is a new monitor.
    I'm currently using a 23" Samsung, but when I was looking at the new ones in the store, their pictures had me drooling. And these new ultra wide monitors give me a headache with all the new options out.
    I don't know what I'll plan on playing, maybe purchase the Division to play on here instead of my PS4, but right now I've just got GW2 installed, and running that on the highest settings it has giving me no issues at all.

I was thinking of running some LED bars inside my case, just to change the colors up inside a bit, but I don't know how viable they are. I was looking at some of the colored fans, but spending the money they're asking for on them didn't feel necessary at the time.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So will a Radeon 390 run newer games above 60 at 1080p?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Yes, easily.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbeansman View Post
    So will a Radeon 390 run newer games above 60 at 1080p?
    I'm assuming you mean Ultra everything and I'd say at 60 or near it for 1080. Might need to turn some things down. I'd only run AAx2 since the gains running 4/8 aren't major and it would be a fps killer. Games like Witcher 3 you will need to probably turn a few things down, but on a 390x I was running Division on a mix of settings between medium to high and got 42fps on the benchmark at 4k.

In a recent benchmark for Killer Instinct the R9 290x was only 5fps behind a GTX 980TI. Crimson drivers are doing amazing things for Hawaii cards (R9 200 series) right now, unlike how Nvidia crippled Kepler series (GTX 700 series) cards after releasing Maxwell.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470097

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I support this new thread.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I promise in the next two days I'll have the actual up. I have a lot of free time on my hands in the coming weeks.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

New PC Build Thread Incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Ultra everything and I'd say at 60 or near it for 1080. Might need to turn some things down. I'd only run AAx2 since the gains running 4/8 aren't major and it would be a fps killer. Games like Witcher 3 you will need to probably turn a few things down, but on a 390x I was running Division on a mix of settings between medium to high and got 42fps on the benchmark at 4k.

In a recent benchmark for Killer Instinct the R9 290x was only 5fps behind a GTX 980TI. Crimson drivers are doing amazing things for Hawaii cards (R9 200 series) right now, unlike how Nvidia crippled Kepler series (GTX 700 series) cards after releasing Maxwell.
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2470097
    Thanks for that picking up a 390x at microstation after work tomorrow.

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

So I'm too lazy to start a new thread so I thought I'd ask here:

I've been digging into Dark Souls 3, and I'm thinking its about time for me to invest in a new monitor. I currently running 2 1080P screen which are 21sh inches each. My desk faces a wall, and I'm flirting with the idea of wall mounting a larger panel behind my desk to increase desk real estate, and to give myself more of a couch like experience when I'm playing my games on a controller. My only problem would be whether to opt for a 30 inch LCD panel, or make the jump to 4K. I'm by no means a pixel junkie, and I'm quite fine with 1080 if it means I won't see any dropped frames (running a single 970)..

Thoughts? Opinions or what I should look for?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

A single 970 and 4k will be a bad time. You could do a 34" 1440p for around $550 when on sale. Usually LG brand so it's a good panel. Or, if you really wanted, just get a 42+ 1080p tv for another option. That could work!

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

I'm thinking of either getting a 40" 4K tv if I can find one at a good price, or going for a 1440p monitor in the 30" range... I was also thinking of just going with a 1440 ultra wide but games like Dark Souls don't support that size

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I have a 970 and a 27" 1440p monitor. It's nice enough and handles everything I throw at it reasonably well, but anything higher in resolution and I think the 970 would start to struggle a bit.

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

A good friend of mine gifted me an extra hard 1TB hard drive and power supply to get me started, he had gotten them as extras from an order from Amazon by accident I believe and hadn't touched them. Decided it was finally time to take advantage of this good fortune. It was only a 500W ThermaLake PSU but it was brand new. Keep in mind these parts are from 2011, so I went on newegg to do some shopping. I kept it simple and cheap. Got the AMD FX 6300 6 core, an AMD R7 370 w/ 4GB/256bit from XFX, ASUS Mobo, 8GB corsair ram, a decent case that was better than I expected.

Here's my worry.. the PSU is only 500W. XFX says the minimum required is 500W and 750W recommended but only if I want to use crossfire.

Question TL;DR, Am I pushing it here? Is there any danger to running my rig with bare minimum PSU? I am probably going to upgrade it next paycheck asap. I honestly wanted to wait until AMD unveiled their new hardware but I have been without a rig for over 2 years and I can use this one as a back up anyway, so that never happens again.

So far it has been running flawless, I just hope with all the fans on this case, and other things on the motherboard that has power consumption, I am not going to end up destroying my hardware.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    A good friend of mine gifted me an extra hard 1TB hard drive and power supply to get me started, he had gotten them as extras from an order from Amazon by accident I believe and hadn't touched them. Decided it was finally time to take advantage of this good fortune. It was only a 500W ThermaLake PSU but it was brand new. Keep in mind these parts are from 2011, so I went on newegg to do some shopping. I kept it simple and cheap. Got the AMD FX 6300 6 core, an AMD R7 370 w/ 4GB/256bit from XFX, ASUS Mobo, 8GB corsair ram, a decent case that was better than I expected.

Here's my worry.. the PSU is only 500W. XFX says the minimum required is 500W and 750W recommended but only if I want to use crossfire.

Question TL;DR, Am I pushing it here? Is there any danger to running my rig with bare minimum PSU? I am probably going to upgrade it next paycheck asap. I honestly wanted to wait until AMD unveiled their new hardware but I have been without a rig for over 2 years and I can use this one as a back up anyway, so that never happens again.

So far it has been running flawless, I just hope with all the fans on this case, and other things on the motherboard that has power consumption, I am not going to end up destroying my hardware.
    If 2011 it was probably a CWT or HEC OEM. No better or worse than the Corsair CX Line. 500w is fine for your setup. However, I would look at replacing the unit anyways. Next time the XFX TS 550w 80+ bronze goes on sale for $28 after rebate from Newegg I'd grab it. Seasonic OEM unit. My go to budget psu.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Well my wife made the mistake of giving me permission to buy a custom cooler master cosmos II off ebay for $200. I say she made the mistake because I didn't stop there because I also bought 64GB of DDR3-1600 ECC registered memory for $124, a couple new OEM Intel cpu fans @ $39 each, a new Corsair RM1000x PSU $159, a couple used Xeon E5-2670 processors @ $65 each, oh and a new ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS mobo $518.... so ya I'm dead when she finds out...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'll PM you my address. Feel free to send said parts. Kthxbye

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Closed. New advice/review thread has been posted.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5