BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by arioch View Post
    All i am seeing are people loving it. seeing a bad review on it makes me happy. But also makes me wonder did they get a bad headset, are people forcing themselves to like it and ignoring all the stuff wrong with it? I didn't think VR was going to be that great and that one review pretty much satisfied me and i wont be buying it to it for a long time
    "Seeing a bad review on it makes me happy"

I've never understand the idea of wanting something to fail.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think he's saying he wants it to fail, just seems fishy (especially in an age when paid reviews are definitely a thing) when every review is glowing with praise when there's not even really any games to actually support it.

Seeing at least some negative reviews would keep the thing grounded.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Giant Bomb's review is largely negative.

Yeah, I see this whole VR craze as the 3D redux brought on by Avatar and the like. Obviously, it would be great if it does succeed, but the shit is just getting way too over-hyped while the reality of the tech is that it really isn't in a consumer-friendly form yet, nevermind the actual depth of immersion. Truly, the type of VR I'd want, as fostered by fiction, is either decades off still or even impossible. Even in trying to temper that personal desire, what we have just feels like the wii-mote with a couple TVs strapped to our heads--and not everyone like the wii-motes.

In the end, even if paid reviews or wanting to avoid media blacklisting is a thing, pointing out negatives should help to fix flaws if a dev is actually being receptive to such critique. I suspect that like others, though, we don't want to see the quality of games compromised just to pander to this infantile form of VR, much like 3D movies tend to abuse the "things flying at the viewer" mechanic instead of trying to expand environmental immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I don't think he's saying he wants it to fail, just seems fishy (especially in an age when paid reviews are definitely a thing) when every review is glowing with praise when there's not even really any games to actually support it.

Seeing at least some negative reviews would keep the thing grounded.
    Yes, i dont want it to fail, but seeing almost nothing bad being said about the product i don't think could be good. If it sells well good! but they still need to know what they need to improve for the next go around, and if no one says what they did wrong why would they bother improving anything. Personally i am more interested in Microsoft HoloLens because being able to throw a whatever size screen onto whatever wall and watch/play what you want seems pretty cool on top of it being half the size of a VR headset. I don't particularly care for first person games so VR isn't my interest and i don't think platformers, rpgs, or any other type of 3rd person game can be made any more interesting or more immersive with VR.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by arioch View Post
    All i am seeing are people loving it. seeing a bad review on it makes me happy. But also makes me wonder did they get a bad headset, are people forcing themselves to like it and ignoring all the stuff wrong with it? I didn't think VR was going to be that great and that one review pretty much satisfied me and i wont be buying it to it for a long time
    I did not have any major tracking issues like in that review. I think their PS camera is actually on that coffee table looking up towards the headset so it may only have 2-3 points of reference at any given time. That's a fucking terrible place to put it. The closer to eye level you can get it the better. You want to be in the middle of the camera's field of view. I heard about some issues with the camera's polling rate but those seem to be resolved just by restarting the PS4.

After having it for a week I think I might sell it. I thought I was on board for the early adopter stuff but seriously after playing some of the demos, none of them really made me want to shell out $30-60 for a VR game. Job Simulator came close but there's only 4 different rooms to fuck about in and I don't think I have enough room to prevent occlusion with the motion controllers. That alone is the only reason I didn't pick up the game. I've spent maybe an another hour since the first two days I had it messing around with the demos. I really just think the VR experience isn't for me.

If it helps anyone else decide, if you have the option between 4k and PSVR. I would choose 4K and save VR for when it matures. I think my plan is going to be build a new rig to focus on 4K gaming and wait until PC VR headsets become cheaper or they announce the second gen headsets.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Kaiji VR: Steel Beam Crossing of Despair - Coming to Japan this Winter

Spoiler: show

The virtual reality game is based on Nobuyuki Fukumoto’s Kaiji manga series, specifically an experience of the “steel beam crossing” story parts from the “Castle of Despair” arc. Players will become a contestant in the steel beam crossing, taking on the challenge with characters like Kaiji, Sahara, and Ishida. Famous scenes from the original work will also appear.
    http://gematsu.com/2016/10/kaiji-vr-...playstation-vr

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37751428

UK retailer GAME is charging £5-15 ($6-18) for 10min to 30min to test out the PSVR. GAME is basically the same Gamestop/EB games, so if this catches on, expect others to start charging for in-house demos.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

StarBlood Arena - Spring 2017
    StarBlood Arena is a futuristic flight combat shooter developed for use with the PlayStation VR headset. Players navigate battle pods in 360-degrees-of-freedom through underground arenas in close-quarters competitive and co-op multiplayer gameplay for 2 to 8 players.

In tournaments set up across the galaxy by the StarBlood Network, players compete for fame, fortune, and survival. Successful competitors will unlock ship modifications and customization options and battle through the ranks of the online leaderboards.

Key Features

• Four modes of online competition – Carnage: A free-for-all battle, Team Carnage: team deathmatch, Gridiron: team goal-scoring game, and Invaders: a 4 player co-operative endless wave defense.
    • Single player – Single player skirmish mode as well as per-pilot tournaments.
    • Nine pilots – each with their own unique weapons, tactics, and play style.
    • Customizable vehicles – all APEX Battle Pods can be customized with paint schemes, visual attachments, and gameplay altering Mods.
    • 360 degrees of freedom – Battle pods can strafe, roll, and boost in any direction while independently aiming weapons using the PlayStation VR head tracking.
    • Party on – easily connect with and fight alongside your online friends in both Ranked and Private matches.
    Surgeon Simulator ER - Available Now
    Step into a VR game quite unlike anything else you will experience! Bossa Studios have brought their critically acclaimed and darkly humorous game, Surgeon Simulator, to the PSVR! Surgeon Simulator: ER delivers the most engaging, engrossing and possibly horrifying experience of virtual surgery yet.

Built from the ground up especially for VR, you finally get to step into the virtual shoes of the hapless surgeon himself, Nigel, and perform all manner of backstreet surgery without fear of litigation. Ever wanted to perform a delicate heart transplant with a hammer or a touch of eye surgery in Zero-G? Perhaps a little dentistry in the back of an ambulance is more your style? It's all here for your visceral consideration in Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality. Taking the ER to VR!
    http://www.surgeonsim.com/

Dino Frontier - 2017

Spoiler: show

Dino Frontier lets you build and manage a frontier settlement in a world where the wild west and Jurassic collide. You assume the role of Big Mayor overlooking your settlement in tabletop scale VR. You must carefully balance resources while growing your town. Wild dinosaurs roam the land acting as both dangerous foe and tantalizing asset.

There’s something magical about looking down at a virtual world full of tiny people bustling about. With Dino Frontier we go a step further, letting you reach in and pick them up. As Big Mayor you’re tasked with assigning settlers to optimal resource gathering jobs while making sure they stay happy, healthy, and fed.

Dino Frontier is a light simulation where settlers act semi-autonomously to fulfill their wants and needs. When sufficiently hungry, tired, or hurt, settlers will stop work to seek out a fix for their ailment. Or maybe they’ll just stop by the saloon to have a drink and cheer up.

Of course Dino Frontier wouldn’t be complete with just frontier settlers. You want dinosaurs! There are no bison or horses in Dino Frontier. Instead you get velociraptors, anklyosauri, triceratops, the mighty tyrannosaurus rex, and more.

Dinosaurs start as dangerous foe. Train your settlers well and those foes can become domesticated friends. Before long, your hunters will ride raptor steed. And your bandit-fighting sheriff will patrol with a trusty protoceratops sidekick.

Bit of a self-promotion, but my studio has finally released a teaser trailer for the upcoming VR game we have been working on.

It's going to be released for VR, and as you may have guessed it's an horror experience.

https://www.reply.com/forge-reply/theseus

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I actually decided to grab one of these.

The main reason to get PS VR instead of Vive or a Rift was that I already had the PS Camera and PS Move controllers. The others are definitely superior, although not fantastically so, but immensely more expensive, have more stringent requirements (space to setup, sensors, requires a stronger PC and such). Basically, it was a relatively cheap way to see if I could get behind VR stuff.

Just did the demo stuff so far with a friend of mine, and like, it's not exactly a Triple A experience, but it's definitely fun. It's at that stage where "Shit, this is cool, I can't wait to see what happens in the future, and for now, there's some neat stuff and it's really fun."

Picked up RE7 and Batman, and I'll give those a try soon. Rez seems like a no brainer, and Surgeon Simulator as well. And while I don't think I'll generally use it that way, it was kind of cool to play normal games on it, or check Netflix, etc. Like playing on a projector, and just kind of cool.

Any hidden gems or stuff anyone has really liked about PS VR that I haven't found just by googling?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by shukudai View Post
    I actually decided to grab one of these.

The main reason to get PS VR instead of Vive or a Rift was that I already had the PS Camera and PS Move controllers. The others are definitely superior, although not fantastically so, but immensely more expensive, have more stringent requirements (space to setup, sensors, requires a stronger PC and such). Basically, it was a relatively cheap way to see if I could get behind VR stuff.

Just did the demo stuff so far with a friend of mine, and like, it's not exactly a Triple A experience, but it's definitely fun. It's at that stage where "Shit, this is cool, I can't wait to see what happens in the future, and for now, there's some neat stuff and it's really fun."

Picked up RE7 and Batman, and I'll give those a try soon. Rez seems like a no brainer, and Surgeon Simulator as well. And while I don't think I'll generally use it that way, it was kind of cool to play normal games on it, or check Netflix, etc. Like playing on a projector, and just kind of cool.

Any hidden gems or stuff anyone has really liked about PS VR that I haven't found just by googling?

Imo the biggest seller for PSVR will be GT:Sport. I just hope they don't do the shit they said they would where it'll only be available in some bits of the game. Pcars supports PSVR I think so maybe give that a go.
    PSVR isn't that bad, it's mainly the lack of cpu/gpu grunt that a decent pc gets you that puts it at a disadvantage.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The main thing keeping me from buying a PSVR is the fact that it will become a paperweight at the end of the PS4's life. I'd rather buy a PC Rift and continue playing on slightly outdated tech than be forced to buy a new one.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The main thing keeping me from buying a PSVR is the fact that it will become a paperweight at the end of the PS4's life. I'd rather buy a PC Rift and continue playing on slightly outdated tech than be forced to buy a new one.
    Vive is way better for roomscale, but someone is making PSVR useable on PC on steam VR sooooo there's that.
    https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

How is Rift vs. Vive on game compatibility? Is application compatibility exclusive to one or the other, or will most VR games work with both?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    How is Rift vs. Vive on game compatibility? Is application compatibility exclusive to one or the other, or will most VR games work with both?
    Pretty much everything is compatible but not quite simple.

Everything on steamVR works with oculus, oculus have their own storefront and doesn't support vive - but 3rd party tool called revive lets you play everything on oculus home.

Oculus actually added headset detecting DRM, and the guy behind revive put out a new version bypassing the headset check within a day - so oculus turned off their headset DRM rather than get into an arms race they would never win.

tldr, you can play everything with everything.