+ Reply to Thread
    Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Overclock CPU with software question

Greetings,

I've been thinking about mildly overclocking my CPU some and I want to do it as easy as possible. I have a first gen Intel i7 processor. Some quick google-fu suggests Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility for such things, and a sticky post here suggests ATiTool.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which of these is perhaps superior or has used either? Again, I am not looking to do anything hardcore, just want a reliable, simple software so I don't bash my head against a wall or fry my machine (since I can't afford a new one at this time)

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm unfamiliar with either of those tools. When I first started dabbling in overclocking I used the motherboard's utility software, but not I do it in the BIOS. What's the specific make/model of your motherboard?

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Afaik Intel XTE does not work with 1st gen Core processors, and has limited functionality for all but the newest gen models. I've used it for undervolting my Asus laptop (with a 4720HQ), but have no personal experience with the overclocking aspect of the program. It also does not apply a "permanent" overclock, but instead applies it on every boot.

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thanks for the tip about the Intel XTE not working on older processors.

I have an (old) ASRock X58 Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX mobo. I built this machine back in Dec 2009. It's served me well and must continue to do so (unfortunately).

I can/will read up on overclocking with BIOS if that seems to be the only way. I really just don't want to fuck it up is all.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Niya Kouya
    FFXIV Server
    Odin

As long as you only change the multiplier for the CPU clock, everything should be fine. Just don't touch any of the (base) clock frequencies since they are most of the time linked to the PCIe base clock, and that can screw up your GPU...
    And when you only want to mildly OC, you should be OK without raising voltages.