+ Reply to Thread
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Fairly newish desktop monitor repair?

I have an Acer Predator XB1 monitor that has a broken screen. There is absolutely no physical damage on the screen that's apparent when viewing the monitor while it's turned off. Only when you turn it on do you see a large crack across the front.
    I'm curious if there's a way to repair this thing as I basically got it for free and would love to pair it up with my current monitor. Any ideas or suggestions? Sell it for scrap?

I did Google for quite a while last night looking for anything relevant but everything is basically laptop repairs and all that jazz. Some of the actual panels I found that weren't related to my monitor at all were going for ridiculous high prices via eBay.

There's a long story behind how I came into possession of this monitor but it was originally from AcerRecertified which only sell refurbished items that come with a 90 day warranty. It didn't come with a 3 year warranty like what I would have gotten had I purchased it new and I don't think AcerRecertified will repair it due to how the story unfolded. I can explain what happened if people deem it relevant in my attempt to get it repaired though!

The only way to repair it is to replace the panel, there's no way to "fix" LCDs that have a physical defect. which is like 80% of the cost of the monitor.

This is presuming that the crack is in the panel and not just the glass/plastic in front of it, if that's the case, you can just take it off.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    The only way to repair it is to replace the panel, there's no way to "fix" LCDs that have a physical defect. which is like 80% of the cost of the monitor.

This is presuming that the crack is in the panel and not just the glass/plastic in front of it, if that's the case, you can just take it off.
    Yeah I figured as much. I'd love to pair this thing with my PG297 though, fuck lol. I emailed Acer and explained everything. If the cost isn't insanely high I wouldn't mind shipping it into them for repairs.

On that note though, avoid Acer Recertified via the website or eBay like the goddamn plague. I learned an amazing lesson this past month.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've done laptop screen repair a fair number of times, neighbors' kids destroying their screens in funny ways, and it's just buying a new panel on ebay for those. For desktop panels I can't imagine it being too much different, but you'll only know after you either find a disassembly manual or get a little brave taking a screwdriver to that monitor and get the screen part out.

You'll know it's a crack on the glass when you can view the crack from a different angle and different pixels are covered up. Crack in the panel means those specific pixels are screwed, and likely a whole lot more are messed up too, so the panel itself needs to be replaced (can range from cheap new-monitor amounts in cost+shipping). Plug something into it and see which it is.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    I've done laptop screen repair a fair number of times, neighbors' kids destroying their screens in funny ways, and it's just buying a new panel on ebay for those. For desktop panels I can't imagine it being too much different, but you'll only know after you either find a disassembly manual or get a little brave taking a screwdriver to that monitor and get the screen part out.

You'll know it's a crack on the glass when you can view the crack from a different angle and different pixels are covered up. Crack in the panel means those specific pixels are screwed, and likely a whole lot more are messed up too, so the panel itself needs to be replaced (can range from cheap new-monitor amounts in cost+shipping). Plug something into it and see which it is.
    http://imgur.com/a/m0OLP

When the monitor is turned off there is no apparent physical damage that I can see on the outside. That's what it looks like turned on. The only problem I'm having is actually finding a replacement panel. I did contact Acer via email with pictures of my purchase, proof of ownership etc to see if maybe I could send it in and pay an amount of money to have it repaired. I'd be happy paying $300-$400 honestly to get it fixed.

I think Acer and Asus IPS panels use either LG or Samsung panels but again, clueless as to where I should even begin looking. Does the panel itself after being removed have a part number on it by chance?

Worst case scenario I sell it for scrap but it really is a great monitor I'd like to save somehow. I bought the Asus PG279Q which is basically the same thing as this Predator (2560x1440, GSync, IPS panel, up to 165hz refresh rate) and going from an old TN panel at 60hz has been just amazing.

Edit: Here's a picture of me opening the box as soon as I got it. Can't believe this is how they ship these damn things...

Yes, if you were to disassemble it, there's a strong chance the panel would have a sticker somewhere with its model. That's not a guarantee, but is common.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

For the cost of new LCDs these days, I'd just recycle it and buy a new one.