Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    But at this point I'm only waiting for the mobile revival
    Wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.
    Personally I wouldn't be too surprised if the Mobile Version developed by Nexon actually bombed and it won't happen anymore, just like Draylo said.

A new Expansion set in the Far east would be so incredibly cool <3

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    Wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you.
    Personally I wouldn't be too surprised if the Mobile Version developed by Nexon actually bombed and it won't happen anymore, just like Draylo said.

A new Expansion set in the Far east would be so incredibly cool <3
    Unless Nexon pulls some BS, it's highly, highly unlikely to bomb, especially in Asian regions. Streamed games/MMOs are huge in Asia, especially Japan/SEA right now.

Campaign
    BG Level

Game was supposed to be released (with the original content, i.e. no expansions) during summer? Over an year passed since the original march announcement and not a single screenshot, news or even remote mention has been made about the project by either SE or Nexon.
    "Coincindentally" something mysterious seems to have happened in SE's highquarters and the game that was supposed to end and receive no more patches at all is suddenly going in a very different direction from the announced one.
    Could the two things be connected? Hmmm...

And regardless, even if the Nexon project is still happening I *still* wouldn't hold my breath for it if I were you. We wouldn't be able to use our character data and game would be COMPLETELY handled by Nexon. Development, support, customer service, everything. SE just "licensed" Nexon to use the FFXI data and allow them to copypaste the setting and stuff to make their own mobile game.
    Really, even if it's gonna happen (at this point I'm not 100% sure anymore) it's likely gonna be very far from the "FFXI playable on mobile phones/handheld consoles" than many people in here seem to be thinking of.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Really, even if it's gonna happen (at this point I'm not 100% sure anymore) it's likely gonna be very far from the "FFXI playable on mobile phones/handheld consoles" than many people in here seem to be thinking of.
    I think the discussion a while back pretty well settled on that. Nothing they've said has really pointed at a mobile port/client so much as a rebuild of the game from the ground up to suit mobile, not using existing characters, starting with the core game/Zilart (I think it was), etc.

Either way, I did get the impression that it was supposed to launch around the same time that console support died, so the fact that we haven't been shown anything at all yet is odd. Even if it were cancelled, I doubt it'd have any real bearing on how they treat the PC version. Seems a lot more like their original statements regarding that were simply being conservative. Things will probably change more as the remaining team figures out what they can manage.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

based on what i got from the announcement and the bits of info that came in after, the Nexon mobile FFXI was essentially going to be a remake (not port, since character info would not be carried over) of FFXI. i think the best analogy would be that SE gave Nexon a license to open a private server of FFXI specifically for Mobile and to tweak the game accordingly. its probably not so simple tho.

what is clear right now is that there's been no news of the mobile app, so its likely that the project has been delayed or pushed back due to certain technical reasons or sometihng. its also possible the project might have bombed, but its anyones guess at this point. that said, mobile games don't usually have very big pre-launch marketing windows. FFRK launched 2 months from announcement iirc, and Brave Exvius was silent till about 2 months prior to launch as well. Grandmasters went into beta about 3 months after it was announced iirc. anyway my point is, they could still be on schedule for 2016 (don't think they specified when in 2016) even if the first announcement was made in October or something.

i think the point of farming out FFXI to Nexon was so that it could reasonably survive on another platform, at no additional expense. while XI still manages to put out some content, its probably working with the smallest skeleton crew and receiving the least funding its gotten ever. and theres little reason for that to change. so i hope the mobile version will still happen, because otherwise XI will likely die sooner

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Yeah, normally I'd be worried but it's SE. They love being as tight lipped as possible because that too is part of how they drive hype. So it could indeed be gone but it could also just SE being SE since it's very obvious they wouldn't let Nexon spill the details, especially regarding a Final Fantasy title. I mean even take FFVII remake for example, they're extremely tight lipped about that essential gold mine; They probably don't want to make promises but unless XV took developmental focus, that too is another project extremely barren of details.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    i think the point of farming out FFXI to Nexon was so that it could reasonably survive on another platform, at no additional expense. while XI still manages to put out some content, its probably working with the smallest skeleton crew and receiving the least funding its gotten ever. and theres little reason for that to change. so i hope the mobile version will still happen, because otherwise XI will likely die sooner
    um if anything everyone i've talked to has pointed out that the delay/cancellation of the mobile app is what's driving the updates beyond rhapsody. They either don't want people to quit and forget about XI before the mobile even comes out, or there will be no mobile so they need to get updates to keep subs. I would add, people not jumping to 14 as they hoped is another factor

There's no reason XI can't "survive" without the mobile - as in the servers remain intact. Just look at how barren other MMOs are that have gone F2P. Servers are dirt cheap anymore. What's at stake is actual new content. Not only do i not trust nexon with that, but again, people jumping over to a mobile version will only hasten the end of updates. Plus it might even be in the contract to not continue updating PC version once mobile launches

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

from the start myself and many others couldn't imagine how this game is supposed to function on phones. It wouldn't surprise me if they looked into this and realized it only after the announcement, that's how incompetent they are. They don't play their own game and i doubt the suits at nexon do either

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

this company is so unbelievably disorganized as far as this game is concerned, i bet they don't even remember the stream they did a year ago

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steellord View Post
    um if anything everyone i've talked to has pointed out that the delay/cancellation of the mobile app is what's driving the updates beyond rhapsody. They either don't want people to quit and forget about XI before the mobile even comes out, or there will be no mobile so they need to get updates to keep subs. I would add, people not jumping to 14 as they hoped is another factor

There's no reason XI can't "survive" without the mobile - as in the servers remain intact. Just look at how barren other MMOs are that have gone F2P. Servers are dirt cheap anymore. What's at stake is actual new content. Not only do i not trust nexon with that, but again, people jumping over to a mobile version will only hasten the end of updates. Plus it might even be in the contract to not continue updating PC version once mobile launches
    I hope you realize that the target audience for FFXI mobile is not existing FFXI players.

Yeah, I look to the mobile version as a means to get XI's plots out there without all the MMO elements that make them inaccessible (or more so were in the old days). Any time I've chatted with people about the mobile, I've stressed I don't believe it will be an outright clone of the game due to the nature of mobile gaming itself and limitations of phones. Some are like, "But streaming...!" where I just wonder how feasible that'd be at peak play times if you had thousands of people playing at once.