+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Fourth day of the season and Reds are still undefeated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Fourth day of the season and Reds are still undefeated.
    They'll probably be undefeated for 2 more days at least, especially if they get to the Phillies bullpen.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Guess I'll go with predictions

AL East
    Blue Jays
    Yankees

Red Sox
    Rays
    Orioles

AL Central
    Royals
    Indians

White Sox
    Tigers
    Twins

AL West
    Rangers
    Astros
    Mariners
    A's
    Angels

NL East
    Mets
    Nationals

Marlins
    Phillies
    Braves

NL Central
    Cubs
    Pirates

Cardinals
    Brewers
    Reds

NL West
    Giants
    Dodgers
    Diamondbacks
    Padres
    Rockies

Playoffs
    Yankees over Indians
    Nats over Pirates

Blue Jays over Rangers
    Royals over Yankees
    Giants over Mets
    Cubs over Nats

Blue Jays over Royals
    Giants over Cubs

Giants over Blue Jays in 6

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I don't know whether to be happy you think the Jays will make it to the World Series or mad that you have them losing to the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I don't know whether to be happy you think the Jays will make it to the World Series or mad that you have them losing to the Giants.
    #evenyear

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I'm not really saying it was the wrong call (although saying that's not a bona-fide slide attempt is a stretch to me. It was obviously technically interference), I'm saying the rule is a stupid one and we're not the only team that's going to get fucked out of a win because of it. I'm willing to bet it will be re-written by next season because it's basically prohibits the breaking up of any double play. Hell, it almost happened to the Rays today. Any time a double play gets broken up now you *know* the fielding team is going to ask for a review just to see what happens. They will either go back to not calling it like they always have, or it will be re-written.
    Well it was clearly not a bona-fide slide attempt per the letter of the law, as he slid onto and right past the bag with no effort to remain on it.

You are obviously entitled to disagree with the rule itself, although personally I like protecting the many exciting, athletic middle infielders in the MLB at the cost of missing out on silly "slides" in which guys stick out their appendages to prevent a clean throw. Always seemed dumb to me that you could throw yourself at a defenseless middle infielder's legs as long as you were somewhat in reach of the 2nd base bag. Bautista's slide wasn't as egregious as what I'm talking about but you have to draw the line somewhere.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I don't really like the idea of the league being able to decide whether or not a player "made any effort to stay on the bag" but that's another debate for another day.

I don't think the body checks at second base should be allowed to continue, but at the same time this is effectively the exact same rule in the rulebook that's been there for longer than my dad has been alive. The league is only now trying to enforce it because Chase Utley broke someone's leg. They've set the bar for this so low now, what's going to happen the first time someone (unequivocally) legitimately slides into second or third, makes contact with the baseman and impedes a throw? The clearly egregious ones (Utley's) are cut and dried enough to call but anything else (like last night) is on such a shallow sliding scale that I have no faith in the league to make the appropriate call on a case-by-case basis.

If you slide at the bag and stay in contact with it at the end of your slide, it should be fair game. This judgement system is going to screw over a team big time in a game that matters. By the start of next season people are going to be looking at yesterday's call (and likely a few more that occur this season) and pointing at it as the reason the rule will be re-written.

wasn't a problem before people also said "hey, he didn't touch 2nd before he threw to 1st, replay plz"

edit: i mean i know i already made that post but apparently no one here played baseball so i'll just make the point again because it's how you are taught to turn a double play (not touching 2nd at all) when you learn the basics

GATTACA!

BG Level

-it's pretty damn clear in the video I linked that he had no intention of staying in contact with the bag

-Utley is not the first, we see lower body injuries and concussions every year. along with disallowing blocking home plate, the league is making a concerted effort to eliminate the most dangerous plays that don't add anything appreciable to the sport

They've set the bar for this so low now, what's going to happen the first time someone (unequivocally) legitimately slides into second or third, makes contact with the baseman and impedes a throw?
    if and when someone makes a legitimate slide and they are called for impeding it, I will be right there with you complaining, trust me

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Rule's gonna take a bit for people to get used to it. I think something similar also happened in Atlanta that cost em an extra run I think? Maybe not. They lost the game in the end though. Folks just need to realize "Oh.. we can't go after people now. Okay."

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Chiming in with everyone else who is not a Jays fan to agree with the call. Maybe the rule sucks, but I don't know how you can reasonably argue the call was wrong.

On another note, Robinson Cano has 3 home runs in 2 1/2 games so far. Maybe this is the year the Mariners get back to the playoffs.

Spoiler: show
    Probably not.
    If you guys played the Rangers for most of the season, no doubt. The Mariners have been a thorn in our side for some years now, especially considering Seager bats like Bonds vs us; it's insane. There's no doubt in my mind that the Mariners should be 3-0 games right now. Our first win was a fluke and our bullpen did us 0 favors these past 2 games. I mean, fucking Sardinas homered vs our pen, what the fuck lol...

Also, did anyone see the Maeda homer? Sick lol https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/statu...99886071562240

Just found our that Trevor Story is from my hometown, he's been on FIRE with Cano lately.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by elison View Post
    Also, did anyone see the Maeda homer? Sick lol https://twitter.com/iamjoonlee/statu...99886071562240
    When I see Maeda's name, all I can think of is his Gaki no Tsukai appearance lol (roughly 6 minutes into the video)

Masahiro Tanaka also appeared in a No Laughing Batsu game before he made his way to the Yankees

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Rule's gonna take a bit for people to get used to it. I think something similar also happened in Atlanta that cost em an extra run I think? Maybe not. They lost the game in the end though. Folks just need to realize "Oh.. we can't go after people now. Okay."
    ya but like what joey bats did was against the OLD rule lmao thats what gets me about it

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

The old rule was basically never enforced.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I was reading some Barry Bonds stats and I just never realized how completely dominant he was. He's like the Gretzky of Baseball. Some of these stats are comical.

http://oldtimefamilybaseball.com/pos...ry-bonds-facts

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Being that steroids saved baseball after the strike, Bonds was just a fucking monster. It's a travesty he will never get into the HoF

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Even prior to steroids to say Barry Bonds was an absolute monster is an understatement.

regular season monster*

Still wasn't as good as Griffey in Seattle because no one was as good as a healthy Griffey.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Agree 100%

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar