• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

2016 MLB Regular Season Thread: I'm the Captain now

No thread so I thought I'd make one to force a mod to make a real one.

That's a total bullshit call in Tampa tonight to give the Rays the win. The league just bailed out Forsythe big time. Guess you just can't slide into second base period.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Noah Syndergaard is a fucking beast.

Thanks Toronto

Part of the problem is that replay has forced 2B/SS to actually tag 2nd instead of hovering near it.

In other news I had to listen to Brenly talk about the new uniforms again

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post

That's a total bullshit call in Tampa tonight to give the Rays the win. The league just bailed out Forsythe big time. Guess you just can't slide into second base period.
    them's the rules. bautista shouldnt have hit his leg with his hand unnecessarily

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hahaha Woooo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Did you see the same thing I saw? He clearly wrapped his left hand around his ankles without even attempting to remain on the base. Even if they just ignored the new Chase Utley rule they'd still have him for interference. So no, I don't think it was a bullshit call. Listening to Bautista give his "side" of the story just reaffirmed to me that he's still the biggest douchebag in the MLB. Fuck em'

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
    Noah Syndergaard is a fucking beast.

Thanks Toronto
    I seriously still can't believe they traded Noah and D'Arnaud for Dickey...

Edit: 95mph slider/cutter/wut https://twitter.com/ThePitcherList/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by elison View Post
    89 pitches into a game too!

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by elison View Post
    Did you see the same thing I saw? He clearly wrapped his left hand around his ankles without even attempting to remain on the base. Even if they just ignored the new Chase Utley rule they'd still have him for interference. So no, I don't think it was a bullshit call. Listening to Bautista give his "side" of the story just reaffirmed to me that he's still the biggest douchebag in the MLB. Fuck em'

I seriously still can't believe they traded Noah and D'Arnaud for Dickey...
    He barely touched Forsythe who was already releasing the throw anyway. Forsythe made a bad throw and the league bailed him out (and Edwin may have beaten the throw regardless). Do guys have to go out of their way not to touch the second baseman now?

And yes, the Dickey trade still hurts.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sorry for the lack of thread, wife's due date is creeping up, tons of shit to do, also her water may or may not have just broken so the doc says to come in.

BASEBALL

THEO

GATTACA!

BG Level

He barely touched Forsythe who was already releasing the throw anyway. Forsythe made a bad throw and the league bailed him out (and Edwin may have beaten the throw regardless). Do guys have to go out of their way not to touch the second baseman now?

And yes, the Dickey trade still hurts.
    dude, you are homering so hard right now.

Bautista went out of his way to touch Forsythe. Yes, it is a frustrating way to lose a game when it probably didn't affect anything, but that's the rule now. If he brushed him incidentally with his normal slide, maybe you have a case. That isn't what happened here.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Tigers bullpen blows save. Yep.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    dude, you are homering so hard right now.

Bautista went out of his way to touch Forsythe. Yes, it is a frustrating way to lose a game when it probably didn't affect anything, but that's the rule now. If he brushed him incidentally with his normal slide, maybe you have a case. That isn't what happened here.
    http://www.tsn.ca/rays-beat-jays-aft...eview-1.465399

Did he touch him? Absolutely. Did he grab him? Absolutely not. Did he influence Forsythe's awful throw? I sincerely do not think so. Would Edwin have been out anyway? I don't know. Is that a ridiculous way to lose a baseball game? Yes.

If it had been the Rays getting screwed I'd be saying the same thing, it's just a shit call/rule.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Also here's the actual rule, and Bautista clearly did not alter his slide path to touch Forsythe, so even by the written rule the call is shaky.

Rule 6.01 - Interference, Obstruction, and Catcher Collisions
    (j) (7.14) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts
    If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01.
    A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:
    begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;
    is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
    is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and
    slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder

A runner who engages in a “bona fide slide” shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base.

Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a “bona fide slide” if a runner engages in a “roll block,” or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder’s knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

Rule 6.01 - Interference, Obstruction, and Catcher Collisions
    (a) (7.09) Batter or Runner Interference
    (5) Any batter or runner who has just been put out, or any runner who has just scored, hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate (see Rule 6.01(j));

GATTACA!

BG Level

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/j...senthal-040616

Rules are rules, and Jose Bautista actually broke two on that slide
    Regardless, the reach by Bautista -- which "hindered and impeded the fielder" in the view of the replay official, had nothing to do with the Utley rule. It was a violation of a previous rule, 6.01(a)(6), which states:

"If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead.

"The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner."

Yet, the replay official did not stop there, saying in a statement, "Additionally, (Bautista) did not engage in a bona fide slide as he did not attempt to remain on the base."

That's the Utley rule, which established a four-point criteria for sliding into second.

A bona fide slide occurs when the runner:

*Begins his slide (i.e. makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;

*Is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;

*Is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and

*Slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

Bautista went 3 for 4, committing his violation when he slid past the bag.
    Also here's the actual rule, and Bautista clearly did not alter his slide path to touch Forsythe, so even by the written rule the call is shaky.
    he grabbed his back foot before he released the ball. watch the replay on the tweet in the linked article

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I gotta side with everyone else after seeing the replay. If he kept his left arm tucked in it would have been fine. But he deliberately reaches for Forsythe's ankle at the last moment. Rule change is a rule change.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Chiming in with everyone else who is not a Jays fan to agree with the call. Maybe the rule sucks, but I don't know how you can reasonably argue the call was wrong.

On another note, Robinson Cano has 3 home runs in 2 1/2 games so far. Maybe this is the year the Mariners get back to the playoffs.

Spoiler: show
    Probably not.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

For the record, I am a Jays fan who agrees with the call

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I'm not really saying it was the wrong call (although saying that's not a bona-fide slide attempt is a stretch to me. It was obviously technically interference), I'm saying the rule is a stupid one and we're not the only team that's going to get fucked out of a win because of it. I'm willing to bet it will be re-written by next season because it's basically prohibits the breaking up of any double play. Hell, it almost happened to the Rays today. Any time a double play gets broken up now you *know* the fielding team is going to ask for a review just to see what happens. They will either go back to not calling it like they always have, or it will be re-written.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Unrelated but sort of related, Gibbons opened his big dumb mouth after the game last night and made himself look like an idiot by saying he guesses the league wants them to hit the field in dresses. Then he doubled down on that comment today.

I hate so much that he is still our manager. Warmed up Storen last night so he was "unavailable" today.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm saying the rule is a stupid one and we're not the only team that's going to get fucked out of a win because of it. I'm willing to bet it will be re-written by next season because it's basically prohibits the breaking up of any double play. Hell, it almost happened to the Rays today. Any time a double play gets broken up now you *know* the fielding team is going to ask for a review just to see what happens. They will either go back to not calling it like they always have, or it will be re-written.
    That's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    On another note, Robinson Cano has 3 home runs in 2 1/2 games so far.
    Make that 4 home runs in 3 games now. He has four hits, all of them home runs. He didn't get his 4th home run last year until June 26th.

I was a little worried I'd reached a little too high to draft him after last year's relative slump. Feel pretty good about that now.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Im mad about the call because it costed me fantasy points.

Glad I got cano

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast