BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI (zones) in VR!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

FFXI (zones) in VR!

Took a lot of work to get here, but finally stumbled my way through Noesis and Unity enough to figure this out!

A few FFXI rooms are now available in VRChat. I've imported La Theine Plateau and San d'Oria (North & South). A fellow VRChat user has also brought in Bastok Markets.

It's not quite perfect, but it's amazing to see these areas in VR. Did you know that telepoints are like 12 feet tall? Or that the crags are freakin' huge?

Right now you'll need the beta versions of VRChat, but it does support both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. They are really close to stable, so hopefully that will be out soon if you don't want to use the betas. Also, both of these have a desktop mode if you don't have a VR headset.
    Oculus Beta
    Vive Beta

Room links:
    La Theine
    San d'Oria

PS: ignore the weird tree textures, new beta version required an updated room build and I hadn't gotten around to it, should be fixed now.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Looks good and then bursted out laughing when the laser pointer came out because it was so out of place haha.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Holy shit thats awesome

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Wooooow. I need a VR headset asap! Desktop mode won't do it justice.

Can you also let me know what music track that is? Sounds like the vanadiel march intro vocalised but I've never heard it before! My feels!!!

edit: I think I found it, is it the song SE released to signify the "end" of FFXI? From Rhapsodies of Vana'diel. From this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRoa5bUA7L8

Just need confirmation :3

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That's amazing.

More videos of this, please. Can't afford VR right now but I'd like to see more of Vana'diel in this way.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Need to see Diremites in VR to truly terrify some people.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Man, if i could play XI like this, I think I'd buy a VR headset lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Can you also let me know what music track that is? Sounds like the vanadiel march intro vocalised but I've never heard it before! My feels!!!
    Yes, it's the RoV credit roll.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yep, I thought about using the Vana'diel March since La Theine was one of the original title screen zones, but decided to use Rhapsodies instead.

I've now brought Lower Jeuno in, and never realized the top of the spires had bells on them.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Anoat View Post
    Need to see Diremites in VR to truly terrify some people.

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001
    Yes, it's the RoV credit roll.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Suteru View Post
    Yep, I thought about using the Vana'diel March since La Theine was one of the original title screen zones, but decided to use Rhapsodies instead.

I've now brought Lower Jeuno in, and never realized the top of the spires had bells on them.
    Do you just import some files? Or is it more complex than this. Good choice of song to hit us in the feels too.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do you just import some files? Or is it more complex than this. Good choice of song to hit us in the feels too.
    To be honest for music I just found the soundtrack on YouTube and ripped it from there.

Fun fact: Lower Jeuno has a ton of bells.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I'm almost more impressed at how nice and smooth the game looks when it is allowed to process to the full extent of modern hardware, so tragic that the PS2 port to PC was such garbage.

Really cool idea. Should probably be wary that some zones were never intended to be seen from certain angles. There are parts that could look broken off or missing, but maybe someone could patch them or something.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

One of the inaccessible (through the normal config program) registry settings enables stereoscopic vision, I think. My notes say:
    Code:
    0030     Stereovision? (0=Off, 1=On)

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

To be honest for music I just found the soundtrack on YouTube and ripped it from there.
    Ah I meant creating the zones for VRchat, rather than the music. Just curious in the amount of work/effort needed for it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ah I meant creating the zones for VRchat, rather than the music. Just curious in the amount of work/effort needed for it.
    Oh, you literally just add an audio source to a game object and point it to an mp3. The hardest thing about creating the zones is applying the textures to everything, and usually you can match up the material names on the object to the texture name.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Can someone please post / or send me a link on how to do this? Is it also possible to get the monster / weapon models etc? I have Unity experience but no idea on how to get the models from the FFXI client into Unity with the right materials / textures animations etc (is that even possible?)

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    One of the inaccessible (through the normal config program) registry settings enables stereoscopic vision, I think. My notes say:
    Code:
    0030     Stereovision? (0=Off, 1=On)
    HOLY.... thanks for that dude i was searching for this in ages time to use that oculus vr dev kit once again

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Heslon View Post
    Can someone please post / or send me a link on how to do this? Is it also possible to get the monster / weapon models etc? I have Unity experience but no idea on how to get the models from the FFXI client into Unity with the right materials / textures animations etc (is that even possible?)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen..._ffxi_into_vr/

The Reddit thread has a bit of info about how I did it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/commen..._ffxi_into_vr/

The Reddit thread has a bit of info about how I did it.

Thanks! loaded a zone into unity (south sandy) the tool gave me a .fbx file with all the texture .png, i have to add the texture to each object because unity imported it blank/white, how did you get your trees to look normal? I tried all texture + normal/height map combination but they still look weird

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm not impressed by much, but damn. That's impressive. I've often hoped that xi would get a vr version, knowing it would never happen. Thanks much for this.