+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Is there really that much difference between tauntaliate and lure magic/reflect? One's for physical, one's for magic. For some reason people are ok with the latter.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

lol I can't beat Rufus since he spams Mako Cannon like.. 4 times in a row just by time I kill the dog and him being at 60% lol, so dumb.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
    Is there really that much difference between tauntaliate and lure magic/reflect? One's for physical, one's for magic. For some reason people are ok with the latter.
    The wrong side of retaliate is that you 'only need to boost 1 character" so exemple if your Gilgamesh is superstrong, you can have like vivi with a mace hit gilgamesh and gilgamesh will counter for 9999, which makes people with weaker party able to complete more difficult dungeon

While Lure Magic, it will just reflect the spell and use the 'caster stats' so if your vivi does like 3k firaja, even if you magic lure it will still do 3k dmg

So if you just use exemple a Knight with Draw fire and retaliate and the other party members do their normal job it's ok

But using weaker character to attack to retaliator to deal more damage then suppose to is cheaper then reflect

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

And I agree, what I'm saying is that it's a perfectly viable strategy. If it wasn't working as intended they'd have changed it by now. It wouldn't be that hard to change Retaliate to not retaliate our own party members if they considered it an exploit. Hell, they recently changed the way Retaliate works and left it in there.

BG Level

They wont change it mostly because of the $$$, and with how much powercreep there is atm not alot use retaliate anymore

it's mostly new players that wanna get up there faster or lazy people

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So why is in an issue then? Why belittle people that use it?

BG Level

Because i'm always mad at everything?

Kinda feels annoy that someone could just us in ultimate after 2-3 weeks while most of us had to work for it

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Reta-meta was kind of a catch 22. You were able to beat content you probably shouldn't have been tackling at the time, but without beating that content you were left incrementally behind as you took longer to clear normal/elite dungeons to catch up to where you could beat the event content without reta.

Not going to sugar coat it, as I'm not free from frowning on it's use but used it to get past some difficult content earlier on.

With that said, however, certain fights it does present itself as a valid strat. Beatrix was a prime example of Retaliate just making sense for that fight. It just so happens that this Hojo fight is another example of the ability being put to excellent use, because he DOES hit like a truck without mitigation and you have to proc his counters to apply said mitigation. With mage parties running short on hones even at R4 -ja spells against his high Res, and melee parties being statused to hell and back, it provides a fair amount of additional control without making it unbalanced on your behalf.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I did the U+ with a normal party lol wish I hadn't, was my first real RNG challenge. Many died and pulse of life kept bringing them back to die again lol. There was no way I should have got mastery on that attempt but I did

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Beat Rufus finally. Had to pray to RNJ that he didn't Mako Cannon me to death.

Had a run where not shitting you, he hit me with 8 AOEs in a row, followed by Mako Cannon. As someone RWing Shout, so only had breaks + Protectga, I got fucked. Had to spend a little mythril on Phoenix Bonuses, but..it's dead and I championed so fuck it.

BG Level

Gotta thank DeNA for puting the medals easier

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ugh Rufus actually gave me a struggle due to either Mako spam or just getting overwhelmed to quickly (not bringing dispel didn't help), I'm starting to hate having native SS2 since it eats up a healer turn :/

Tried a 4 mage party at U+ but just wasn't getting enough damage, I'll regroup and try sometime (at least it's just 1 stamina)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    The wrong side of retaliate is that you 'only need to boost 1 character" so exemple if your Gilgamesh is superstrong, you can have like vivi with a mace hit gilgamesh and gilgamesh will counter for 9999, which makes people with weaker party able to complete more difficult dungeon

While Lure Magic, it will just reflect the spell and use the 'caster stats' so if your vivi does like 3k firaja, even if you magic lure it will still do 3k dmg

So if you just use exemple a Knight with Draw fire and retaliate and the other party members do their normal job it's ok

But using weaker character to attack to retaliator to deal more damage then suppose to is cheaper then reflect
    I understand that's how the abilities work. I personally don't have an issue with it because it's a great way for newer players to clear early content more quickly, which in turn allows them to start working on better characters/abilities/hones. It's not really a viable strat for higher level fights unless you run 5 users, and even then magic/status effects can screw you up. I only keep one copy of retaliate around, and it only comes out for stuff like Hojo to reduce the amount of RNG you have to deal with.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
    Reta-meta was kind of a catch 22. You were able to beat content you probably shouldn't have been tackling at the time, but without beating that content you were left incrementally behind as you took longer to clear normal/elite dungeons to catch up to where you could beat the event content without reta.

Not going to sugar coat it, as I'm not free from frowning on it's use but used it to get past some difficult content earlier on.

With that said, however, certain fights it does present itself as a valid strat. Beatrix was a prime example of Retaliate just making sense for that fight. It just so happens that this Hojo fight is another example of the ability being put to excellent use, because he DOES hit like a truck without mitigation and you have to proc his counters to apply said mitigation. With mage parties running short on hones even at R4 -ja spells against his high Res, and melee parties being statused to hell and back, it provides a fair amount of additional control without making it unbalanced on your behalf.
    Well, this U+ is strange (or not? Maybe future ones are similar?) in that the medal conditions and counters encourage you to use a mage party, even though he have insane res.

Personally i sent with a full melee party (and healer). With protect, wall, FB and PBD he didn't hurt at all. And with shout, physical attacks were extremely effective. Indominablw blade hit for 7000 per hit with armor break.

And with ace striker and lifesiphon I could use more SSB's than I knew what to do with on Shadow.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

All U+ bosses have insane RES. This+ Shout+ Lifesiphon made physical parties much more popular in JP. Nothing in the short term is gonna change this however.. Japan is just starting to make up for it by releasing multiple stackable MAG buffs (you can get 110% MAG bonus on top of other statuses like Quick casting). Physical is up there as well but the MAG soft cap is much, much higher.

BG Level

There's also that new Blizzaga spell that hits twice

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I'm REALLY looking forward to that one (chain blizzaga?).

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    There's also that new Blizzaga spell that hits twice
    Does it proc with blood of the espers for 4 shots at once?

BG Level

I don't see why it wouldnt bu i dunno

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I'm sure it would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast