+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

General Networking Question

I live in the stone age where the maximum internet speed I can get is 25mbps. Right now I just use the factory modem/router combination which I imagine is rather shitty. Would it be worth my time and effort to invest in a better router? Will it increase my latency in games and such. I generally consider myself pretty tech savvy but I just figured the less devices my internet has to run through the fast my speeds would be but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

How long have you had the factory modem/router?

I notice they do actually deteriorate in performance and wireless connectivity becomes progressively worst (2~ years), so a new one (but not top of the line one) would help.

Alternatively, in the UK at least, ask about getting a replacement with the ISP. The catch is that they'll probably ask you to renew the contract with them that most ISPs force you to do (in the UK at least lol)

oh, also, 25mbs is still quicker than my 14 haha, it's enough. Not as quick as I would like it but lets say I don't really lag when playing games.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Oh I'm paying for 25... the quickest I've pulled over wifi was like 11. I'm hardwired into my PC and it's so so latency, usually around 68-70ms which is pretty good considering but still only pull around 12-15 down. My ISP is generally known as one of the shittier ones but its the only provider in my bumpkin town lol.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I had a factory router/modem from Comcast and it was absolute ass. The best thing I did was buy my own modem and a Netgear AC1700 Router. Before Netflix would hang about every 45-60 minutes due to the gateway and wifi speeds were at best 7-10mb down and I pay for 100mb down. Since then my wifi downloads even when streaming hover at around 80mb and Netflix no longer hangs on our ipad due to the router dropping. Cost me about 300 for the modem and gateway, but I save 12 bucks a month on my bill so in 2 years, i will break even.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
    Oh I'm paying for 25... the quickest I've pulled over wifi was like 11. I'm hardwired into my PC and it's so so latency, usually around 68-70ms which is pretty good considering but still only pull around 12-15 down. My ISP is generally known as one of the shittier ones but its the only provider in my bumpkin town lol.
    Sounds like the connection is the actual problem. Wifi seems fine if it's that close to your downstream. 68-70ms is lag for what game? What's your speedtest ping?

Check the router out and look at the specs. If it's rated over 15 down, it's your ISP.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

68-70 in CSGO.

I'm sure it probably is the connection but can't hurt to try an upgrade I guess. I just about bought a netgear nighthawk as I read it works with centurylinks ADSL but mine is a bonded pair so yea I got that shittiness going for me so it wouldn't work. If the wife or daughter is on netflix though then my wired connection is fucked, I need a good router anyhow so I can prioritize that shit and throttle their ass anyhow.