+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 219 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 ... LastLast
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Cinebench, Handbrake, some MOBA, and Sniper Elite 4 benches with prices.

I should rephrase: I still need to see benchmarks I completely trust (as in, those from the neutral hardware reviews sites that I've come to trust). I've no doubt that Ryzen is competitive.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    I should rephrase: I still need to see benchmarks I completely trust (as in, those from the neutral hardware reviews sites that I've come to trust). I've no doubt that Ryzen is competitive.
    Yeah once Anandtech has at least one I'll be happy. I subscribed to JayZTwoCents and even though he's an EVGA homer I don't feel he is an Intel/Nvidia shill. I'd also take Linus info over say [H]ardForum.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Linus has a video out, tho nothing too in depth atm

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Somehow in the last 48 hours I talked myself into either a 1700 or 1700x and am getting pretty excited about it -- my last AMD chip was an Athlon XP 2800+. I think what finally sold me was the promise of a much longer upgrade path compared to Intel, even *if* the performance is a half-notch down from an i7. I'm thinking for my day-to-day activities the extra cores will outweigh Intel's higher frequency.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Somehow in the last 48 hours I talked myself into either a 1700 or 1700x and am getting pretty excited about it -- my last AMD chip was an Athlon XP 2800+. I think what finally sold me was the promise of a much longer upgrade path compared to Intel, even *if* the performance is a half-notch down from an i7. I'm thinking for my day-to-day activities the extra cores will outweigh Intel's higher frequency.
    This is my thought for building a new pc in the winter. I currently have a 4690k that is at 4.3GHz without breaking a sweat on an AIO cooler and I can do anything I want just fine. But, for the price and value of what that 1700 gives...I most likely wouldn't need to upgrade for 5+ years and the 1700 is an easy excuse for me to finally move to DDR4.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wonder how cheap their lower end models will be, their performance vs i3/atom, and igpu stuff. Could see some good competition in the tiny pc market if the 65w 8core model is any indication. Been wanting something tiny to replace my 6 year old laptop as my everyday pc since my gaming pc is too power hungry and hot to keep on all the time. Just wasn't really feeling it with all the janky atom core minis from china or lesser celeron, overpriced nucs; want that 8-16gb ram on something modern.

I just hope oems actually use the damn chips.

add: also, my hotbox main is only 2 years old: i7 4790k w/290x, it's just not old enough to start looking to upgrade I feel (it doesn't overheat, temps are fine but it just heats up so much air). I'm not getting a 4k screen anytime soon; my 32" 1080 samsung tv is just fine from 5ft away. If there's any hardware change it'd be gfx card lol (I got it at a great price and rebate at the time). Still, amd hype for once in like a decade.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Yeah once Anandtech has at least one I'll be happy. I subscribed to JayZTwoCents and even though he's an EVGA homer I don't feel he is an Intel/Nvidia shill. I'd also take Linus info over say [H]ardForum.
    Since Anand left anandtech it's turned into a much crappier site. Linus is generally solid but a bit of an nvidia tit sometimes.

Will be nice to see realworld gaming benchmarks though.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The thing with that pricepoint is the benches don't have to be incredible or really that close at all, as long as they are decent they will dominate the dollar to performance ratio which will be fantastic for most builders from casual and new up to quite a high margin.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Feb. 28th is the "ok go ahead and tell them now" date from what I understand, until then it's all (glorious) leaks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    The thing with that pricepoint is the benches don't have to be incredible or really that close at all, as long as they are decent they will dominate the dollar to performance ratio which will be fantastic for most builders from casual and new up to quite a high margin.
    couple of leaks

1800x http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800...re-benchmarks/
    1700x http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-processor-tested/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...cinebench_r15/
    (as mentioned earlier, until the 28th, this is all unclear)

The benchmarks are incredible.

(disclaimer: wccftech is a bit of a gossip/rumours etc. site so should be taken with a pinch of salt)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Has there been any word as to the instruction sets the new processors will support? AES-NI is a big one for the healthcare sector where everything has to be encrypted.

edit: nevermind. I answered my own question. Per wikipedia, the Zen architecture chips do support AES-NI at least.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Just preordered the 1700. A little nervous about it but some folks I trust are dropping hints that it could easily be the price/perf king with a lot of room to overclock.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Just preordered the 1700. A little nervous about it but some folks I trust are dropping hints that it could easily be the price/perf king with a lot of room to overclock.
    It won't overclock that much, but price/perf for 8core workloads it'll be the best.
    As for gaming it obviously won't be crap, but until we see real world benchmarks we just don't know.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

People can still game just fine on first Gen i5/7s, so I wouldn't be too worried even if the early (cherrypicked) benchmarks aren't entirely accurate.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    People can still game just fine on first Gen i5/7s, so I wouldn't be too worried even if the early (cherrypicked) benchmarks aren't entirely accurate.
    Agree.

I think a lot of streamers will invest in the 8 cores because quicksync and nvenc both produce shit quality, cpu encoding makes a world of difference to stream quality so if you can game+cpu encode with no frame issues then it'd be a huge plus.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I really want to see mobo prices already, as well as prices on Ryzen 5.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    It won't overclock that much, but price/perf for 8core workloads it'll be the best.
    As for gaming it obviously won't be crap, but until we see real world benchmarks we just don't know.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-overclocked-4ghz/
    rumour site, but just for fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    I really want to see mobo prices already, as well as prices on Ryzen 5.
    assuming this link works (mb wise, not too many of them listed yet)
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...nid=5657491011

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

And here's NewEgg:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CH&isdeptsrh=1

No X370 mATX motherboards announced yet. I'm willing to wait a week or two to see if anything is announced, but otherwise I'm going with a Gigabyte Gaming 5 in a NZXT S340 Elite case.

Early leaks indicate that overclocking hits a ceiling based mostly on power delivery quality and VRM overheating. The $250 ASUS motherboard pushing a lot further, allegedly, than the $200 model. All of this unconfirmed of course.

Edit: also it is assumed the 6-core variants coming Q2 will have more room to overclock because of heat/TDP, but on the other hand the Ryzen Master software for overclocking appears to have a feature of disabling cores which should allow a higher push as well. When the NDA lifts there's going to be a TON to sort through.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Oh wait, ryzen 5 isn't launching March 2nd?

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    Oh wait, ryzen 5 isn't launching March 2nd?
    No date as far as I've seen, just Q2, so that's April-June somewhere...

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processor...s-Soon-Q2-2017

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Fuck that noise...

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag