• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 220 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 ... LastLast
    Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    They're releasing new i7s soon right? Think the 7700k will go down more when they're released? Had to out my build on hold after spending $1000 on new tires, so I may wait to see what happens if they are releasing a new one soon.
    7700k is just skylake at higher frequency and a worse thermal coolant used to bind the lid to the dye.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    https://hardwaresfera.com/la-amd-veg...ti-compubench/

Rumor mill running heavy with AMD's Vega beating the 1080 and shadowing the 1080 TI. If true, it's going to come down to price.

After all of the reviews, benchmarks, etc I personally will be moving to Ryzen R5 1600 when I decide to move away from DDR3. A slight loss in single core performance for massive gains everywhere else will be worth it.
    really? all the rumors I hard had it between 1070 and 1080

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

When will nvidia give up on jew-sync?

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

gang pls help me with router advice because im tech-retarded. i am buying a house and cutting the cord and i don't want to rent or buy one of verizon's routers. or should i rent or buy one of verizon's routers? the one they sell is $150 so using that as a benchmark what is the best router I can get for $150. or just the best router in general? i dont even know what a router does except I plug shit into it. PLS HELP IM SO DUMB LOL

also what about a modem? is that still a thing? fuck i have no idea what im doing

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Easiest solution is buying a modem/router combo. The upfront cost of buying your own is gonna be covered by lack of rental fees within a year or so.

I'm assuming you're​ talking FiOS, of which there are a few different models out there from Netgear and whatnot that should be compatible. Simplest solution would probably be checking out what a local Staples or similar store is offering, then do some comparison shopping and look for a cheaper price.

I use http://www.netgear.com/home/products...ers/C7000.aspx which is specifically for Comcast and Time Warner, but there will be comparable FiOS options there.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Easiest solution is buying a modem/router combo. The upfront cost of buying your own is gonna be covered by lack of rental fees within a year or so.

I'm assuming you're​ talking FiOS, of which there are a few different models out there from Netgear and whatnot that should be compatible. Simplest solution would probably be checking out what a local Staples or similar store is offering, then do some comparison shopping and look for a cheaper price.

I use http://www.netgear.com/home/products...ers/C7000.aspx which is specifically for Comcast and Time Warner, but there will be comparable FiOS options there.
    THIS SEEMS LIKE A TALL ORDER KRANDOR I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANYTHING MEANS

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So my main PC is getting incredibly outdated (~5 or so years aside from GPU upgrades) and it's time to make some budget upgrades.

Things I use (abuse) the PC for:
    FFXI
    having 10,000 tabs of both firefox and chrome open at once
    plex media server and streaming constantly to my roku
    turned on 24/7/365 (seriously, I never turn it off, so I need robust equipment)

I don't have the current equipment offhand but I use intel processors and Asus motherboards usually. Everything is way out of date like I said so p much anything will be an upgrade. Any suggestions?

I probably don't want to spend more than $500-$600 total because I'm cheap.

Edit: Equipment that supports parallelization is preferable, or at least distributive computing. It's not super important cuz I always have CPU and GPU cluster access but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to run shit where I am.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    So my main PC is getting incredibly outdated (~5 or so years aside from GPU upgrades) and it's time to make some budget upgrades.

Things I use (abuse) the PC for:
    FFXI
    having 10,000 tabs of both firefox and chrome open at once
    plex media server and streaming constantly to my roku
    turned on 24/7/365 (seriously, I never turn it off, so I need robust equipment)

I don't have the current equipment offhand but I use intel processors and Asus motherboards usually. Everything is way out of date like I said so p much anything will be an upgrade. Any suggestions?

I probably don't want to spend more than $500-$600 total because I'm cheap.

Edit: Equipment that supports parallelization is preferable, or at least distributive computing. It's not super important cuz I always have CPU and GPU cluster access but sometimes I'm lazy and just want to run shit where I am.
    This is the fun part of this thread. What do you have now? Really need to know. Can you get away with only upgrading CPU/RAM, or will you have to do a mobo upgrade to accommodate? There's plenty out there to upgrade with a $500 budget, assuming you don't have to gut the backbone of your system (mainly your mobo). If you can get out of it with out upgrading your mobo or psu, then this is easy peasy. Otherwise, it'll take some finagling.

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    THIS SEEMS LIKE A TALL ORDER KRANDOR I DON'T KNOW WHAT ANYTHING MEANS
    It's always better, usually after only one year, to buy your own modem instead of renting it. Most of those usually have built in wifi/router capabilities as well. The exact one you need depends on the service you have, as not everything is compatible, but your local bestbuy probably got you. Make sure you get one with 5ghz wifi, not (only) 2.4ghz, you'll need that to help keep your speeds high with a lot of neighbors near you or connections on your line.

For comparison, renting a modem was 10 bucks a month from my provider. I bought one from bestbuy for $120, and it came with 4 lan ports and 2.4/5ghz wifi built in. Pays for itself after a year, and I don't need a separate box to cut the cord. GG

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    This is the fun part of this thread. What do you have now? Really need to know. Can you get away with only upgrading CPU/RAM, or will you have to do a mobo upgrade to accommodate? There's plenty out there to upgrade with a $500 budget, assuming you don't have to gut the backbone of your system (mainly your mobo). If you can get out of it with out upgrading your mobo or psu, then this is easy peasy. Otherwise, it'll take some finagling.

It's always better, usually after only one year, to buy your own modem instead of renting it. Most of those usually have built in wifi/router capabilities as well. The exact one you need depends on the service you have, as not everything is compatible, but your local bestbuy probably got you. Make sure you get one with 5ghz wifi, not (only) 2.4ghz, you'll need that to help keep your speeds high with a lot of neighbors near you or connections on your line.

For comparison, renting a modem was 10 bucks a month from my provider. I bought one from bestbuy for $120, and it came with 4 lan ports and 2.4/5ghz wifi built in. Pays for itself after a year, and I don't need a separate box to cut the cord. GG
    https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/10...=1#post4506402

First post in the first thread LOL

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If on Comcast and only getting 50-75 down, a Motorola SB6121/6141 + an array of $40 routers is good enough. Here is my results with a 6121 + Asus RT-AC1750 (which I got lucky and got for $17 on a clearance).

edit: posted after Sath. If you do new from the ground up, any specific case you're looking at?

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    That's funny, and to think you spent $1300 back in the day for that "cutting edge" equipment. Times never change lol.

Your PSU is overkill, so you're fine there, but that's about it. To see appreciable gains, you will need a new mobo, which means new ram, and a new cpu/gpu to actually do the work. The hard drive, dvd drive, and all that jazz you can just move over, even though they themselves (especially the HDD) will become bottlenecks in certain applications. But for $500-600 you can do some decent upgrades. I'll shop around and post some deals as I find them.

Alternatively, you can really hold back on the higher end parts and get a mobo that supports DDR3 ram like you have, but since you only have 8gb of it it's probably best to just upgrade that too and get 16gb while you're at it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

While this is slightly over your budget and not including a SSD (way overpriced currently), this would be a massive upgrade giving you a 6c/12t cpu, DDR4, and a massive GPU upgrade even though it's a "budget" GPU. Also, prices on darn near all of this can be had better by finding deals. This is just from what pcpartpicker.com has listed currently. I just threw in a decent case. It's more so used as a price point. Taking a quick glance at a 7600K option, looks like price would be similar if you wanted to go Intel instead of Ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - A320M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.33 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($129.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $647.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 13:03 EDT-0400

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The above is great.

Id say you could reuse your current case even, skip out on the HDD and just invest in a SSD in the near future and use your current drive for storage. The video card is the best bang for your buck you're gonna find, especially if you mostly just do FFXI anyways; it's overkill but for $130 you're not gonna find better performance/$$$. If you end up reusing your current ATX case, you'd have to change the above motherboard from miniATX to ATX, which is a small increase in price I'm sure, but also leaves a lot of room for improvements in the future. Do all that and you might keep the price the same or even bring it down, especially if you find some combo deals on the parts.

Of course, this is assuming you're cool using AMD. They're great performance/$$$ right now, but I understand if you want to stick with Intel since that's what you know.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    gang pls help me with router advice because im tech-retarded. i am buying a house and cutting the cord and i don't want to rent or buy one of verizon's routers. or should i rent or buy one of verizon's routers? the one they sell is $150 so using that as a benchmark what is the best router I can get for $150. or just the best router in general? i dont even know what a router does except I plug shit into it. PLS HELP IM SO DUMB LOL

also what about a modem? is that still a thing? fuck i have no idea what im doing
    I have fios, they had me rent a router and the modem was separate in the garage I guess. After being a swell customer for a time they ave me a new router no fees or rental anymore and it rocks. 5ghz and all that jazz.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

While this is slightly over your budget and not including a SSD (way overpriced currently), this would be a massive upgrade giving you a 6c/12t cpu, DDR4, and a massive GPU upgrade even though it's a "budget" GPU. Also, prices on darn near all of this can be had better by finding deals. This is just from what pcpartpicker.com has listed currently. I just threw in a decent case. It's more so used as a price point. Taking a quick glance at a 7600K option, looks like price would be similar if you wanted to go Intel instead of Ryzen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($217.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - A320M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.33 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($129.89 @ B&H)
    Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $647.07
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 13:03 EDT-0400

Yeah I was gonna suggest an R5 1600 build as well, so +1 for that.
    It comes with a decent ish cpu cooler as well so saves on buying that.

He did say he has upgraded the gpu, so he can prob just re-use whatever he has.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm a boner and glossed over the "upgraded GPU" bit.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Have AMD stopped sucking? I have a second tower that is AMD mobo that I only have a linux install on. I got from an applied math phd friend who built it and then realized he is broke af. idr the specs offhand but I've been kind of neglecting it since A) AMD and B) I only have so much use for linux at home because I'm lazy AF and already have linux on both of my laptops.

It might be most prudent for me to look into the exact specs of that build if AMD really has become good, may be worth just doing dual install and leaving other PC as a glorified media server. I'm gonna try to dig up the specs but I'm pretty sure the guy who built it built it on instruction from others and didn't keep track of the specs himself and then my GF bought it off him cheap and gave it to me for christmas. So like 3 degrees of separation from finding out what I actually have without taking it apart.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Anything prior to Ryzen was pretty weak. About the only thing I personally think was of value was the Athlon 860K strictly because it was a budget 4 core. As far as AMD video cards however, I've used so many different ones over the last two years and the he only one I was disappointed with and wanted to get rid of it ASAP was the R9 295x2. Their newer models (RX) run cool and quiet. Most are just shy performance wise to their Nvidia counterpart. I'd look at a new GPU depending on what you're currently using just so you have some freedom with any other newer game you may want to play.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

AMD's recent Ryzen chips are pretty impressive and well worth considering. They still fall a little short when going for gaming-only max-FPS, but in many cases their performance/dollar and threads/dollar is quite outstanding.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Anything prior to Ryzen was pretty weak. About the only thing I personally think was of value was the Athlon 860K strictly because it was a budget 4 core. As far as AMD video cards however, I've used so many different ones over the last two years and the he only one I was disappointed with and wanted to get rid of it ASAP was the R9 295x2. Their newer models (RX) run cool and quiet. Most are just shy performance wise to their Nvidia counterpart. I'd look at a new GPU depending on what you're currently using just so you have some freedom with any other newer game you may want to play.
    I'll check it out later and see what is up with the mobo.

Regarding GPU, I kinda have to stick with Nvidia because on the scale of what matters more between new games and GPU computing, my money really needs to be focused more towards the computing end. I don't know how AMD is in that respect, specifically, but I use CUDA so lol.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag