• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 219 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ryzen won't be going into consoles for a long long time. And the current generation running off of AMD hardware hasn't really shown any tangible gains in performance or optimization.

All numbers I've seen about i7 vs Ryzen says to me that any perception of "smoothness" (talking frame pacing/frame timing) is pure placebo, the difference between the two is insignificant.

Is Ryzen a good cost efficient purchase? Sure, but people need to stop pretending it's something it's not. Just like how Freesync is a cheaper, but ultimately inferior competitor to G-Sync.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I don't know anything about G-sync and Freesync. What's the difference and why is G-sync superior?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Wat.

Freesync is the technically better solution.
    You get lower input lag on freesync, particularly with vsync off than with gsync.

The only time freesync has higher latency than gsync is if you're over your monitors max frame rate by a lot and turn v-sync on. ( who the fuck games at 300fps and uses vsync? lol pls. every single hardcore fps gamer will never ever use vsync, specifically to avoid the input lag it gives you, let alone adding extra lag on top from both gsync or freesync ).

Adaptive sync ( freesync ) is even included natively in the new HDMI specs.
    There is literally no reason for G-sync other than for nvidia to tax consumers and monitor manufacturers and the spec needs to fuck off.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Good afternoon all, looking at buying a cheap end graphics card and found the Amd sapphire 550 4gb for £90, does any one know of it'll run ff14 decently and not melt by the end of the week

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

I have seen benchmarks of metro the last night where 4c/4t i5s stood out from the rest where the bottom 0.1% of their fps was way lower than their average and bottom 1% which were more in line with the other cpus. The other cpus which had more cores or even just more threads had their bottom 0.1% a lot closer to the average and bottom 1% making them 'smoother'.
    So it's perfectly possible that if you went from a 4c/4t i5 to a 4c/8t or 6c/12t R5 that some games would feel smoother and have more consistent frame timings.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Odin'sLaw View Post
    Good afternoon all, looking at buying a cheap end graphics card and found the Amd sapphire 550 4gb for £90, does any one know of it'll run ff14 decently and not melt by the end of the week
    From what I gather rx550s are priced badly compared to other slightly more expensive but far better performing cards like the rx 460 or 560 though those may be less available due to miners.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is there any model of 460 that is recommended as there seems to be a few out there and don't want to trial and error my way through them

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I ran a Sapphire RX 460 2GB that was powered by the motherboard and it was a snappy little card.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Well, it's official. I'm going Ryzen due to getting a 1700X for basically $155 (flip deal). Going with the In Win 301 mATX in black. I already have three Thermaltake Riing 120mm red LED fans. I'm heavily considering going with the MSI B350M Mortar Arctic. I'm also planning on going full loop. I'm not sure about the Arctic color though since it would be a theme of black, white, and red. However, I could always do a build with the black 301 to sell and buy a white 301. Also, mATX AM4 selection is slim. Only one X370 I believe. I just really want to downsize from a full ATX box and the In Win 301 is smaller than a lot of ITX cases but accommodates mATX. Is a black, white, and red theme a bad idea?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm sure you can pull it off. You're one with your finger on the price conscience trigger lol. mATX is definitely slim pickings. A lot of the tech YouTubers are also hoping for more variety.

I also promised myself the next thing I build for personal use will be ITX or mATX. ALL about that form to performance these days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking of selling my 4690K+mb and using a potato Pentium G3220+mb I have laying around until some more variants come around. I really want a X370 board instead of the B350.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I'm thinking of selling my 4690K+mb and using a potato Pentium G3220+mb I have laying around until some more variants come around. I really want a X370 board instead of the B350.
    y tho.

x370 is basically sli enabled, doesn't really have an edge anywhere. The msi b350 boards review very well.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

One thing that I've been looking at though is there aren't many differences in features between the varying chipsets for AM4. They all still scream infancy / wait and see

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    y tho.

x370 is basically sli enabled, doesn't really have an edge anywhere. The msi b350 boards review very well.
    Selling the 4690K while there is still value. Fair point on the X370. I'm 95% sure I'm going with a 1080TI. Don't care about SLI.

BG Level

hey nerds finna upgrade my comp now that certain games are stalling out in the 40s and what's the point of being alive if you can't hit 60 FPS at 3440×1440 you know? biggest upgrade is gonna be using the crypto demand surge to ebay my current 1070 + backup 970 to pay for a 1080ti but i'm less certain about when to overhaul CPU/motherboard/RAM. currently rocking an i5 4690K OCd to 4.5ghz and 16GB of tragically plebeian 1600mhz RAM.

not 100 on the information but the Coffee Lake series is being leaked at 6 core 12 thread base 3.1ghz boost 4.2ghz which if i'm reading correctly is mostly Intel's hyperthreading counter to Ryzen and probably won't even match an OC'd i7 7700K's single core performance so is kinda meh. but i am kinda hesitant to double down on a 7700k with the 10 nanometer die shrink coming in 2018.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

fix that ram situation you dingus. what's your budget.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

7700K or R5 1600 (or higher) if buying right now. Since you're comfortable with selling on ebay (Amazon is more lenient on fees but money takes like two weeks) may I suggest buying this combo and selling the 580. This is what I did. Got $455 for the same 580 after fees and shipping. I only paid $605 for the combo last week. Made the 1700X basically be $150 out of pocket, but yeah you're counting on that sale. Since Vega will be announced in 3 1/2 weeks I'm going to see what it is before buying a 1080TI. Only thing about Vega is the EK A240G AIO cpu/gpu cooler combo only fits for Pascal cards.

BG Level

whatever it needs to be. just can't decide between grabbing an i7 7700K and concomitant 3000+mhz RAM right meow or holding off until generation 8/9. only like to upgrade every 3 years or so and don't want to get shafted if 2019 games suddenly decide they want more than 8 threads, or if the coming die shrink renders everything before it obsolete the way Pascal did with GPUs, or if Coffee Lake isn't as mild an upgrade as it appears to be at first glance.

but i also really need to max out Warhammer II and an obscenely modded Witcher 3 this year

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    7700K or R5 1600 (or higher) if buying right now. Since you're comfortable with selling on ebay (Amazon is more lenient on fees but money takes like two weeks) may I suggest buying this combo and selling the 580. This is what I did. Got $455 for the same 580 after fees and shipping. I only paid $605 for the combo last week. Made the 1700X basically be $150 out of pocket, but yeah you're counting on that sale. Since Vega will be announced in 3 1/2 weeks I'm going to see what it is before buying a 1080TI. Only thing about Vega is the EK A240G AIO cpu/gpu cooler combo only fits for Pascal cards.
    that's legit system gaming but my PC is for vidya and work stuff that could be done on a 10 year old Mac, a million Ryzen threads are p lost on me given i don't need much hyperthreading but i do need FPS.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'd hold out for Coffee Lake for your needs then. I too have a 4690K and I'm just using the cheap 1700X as an excuse to finally get to DDR4 and also mATX. Otherwise I'd stick with what I have for now.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

My work situation has flopped around so I need to get a 3 screen setup for working at home. My current screens are old and shitty and I'd like to fix that.

My needs:

2 paired screens with thin trim around the sides on a mount. 1080p, not used for gaming at all. 22in. Will be for Bloomberg and Excel

3rd screen. Main monitor - Prefer 24-25in. I'm not opposed to 2k but it'll be on the edge of what my current setup can handle. It will be used for gaming but no FPS or MOBAs so no uber refresh is needed.

I'm expensing this but I'd really like to keep it under 600 bucks total. I'm happy to skew heavily towards the main monitor being nice and using budget screens for the other two.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag