• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 219 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Give them a budget and they'll help get it done.

You can use your current windows key on a new system as long as you don't plan to continue using your old system, but you'll likely need to upgrade to Windows 10 in the process.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I am not sure what I should budget. I currently have two 24 IPS monitors that I multi task with. I play FFXI on two accounts that I have going almost at all times(24/7) while browsing youtube and the internet. I'd like the new rig to do that easily without a dip in FPS. I also open up a 3rd game like hearthstone or a CS Go even with FFXI running in the background minimized and that is where I see some struggle from my computer, but it runs it well (At least to my standards).

I'd like the capability of playing newer FPS's or MMO's that come out, but I really don't "game" outside of the two above.. so it isn't a crucial need that I have this ultimate gaming rig, but I'd like the ability to upgrade in the future and have the parts that can support that.

I don't need a keyboard, monitor or mouse.

Money isn't really a big issue, I just don't want to set a $1000 budget and get some over powered computer beast that I'll never reach it's capabilities, but I don't want to say $1000 and not be able to do the above.. but if I can do all the above for $600 and blow my current rig out of the water... that works too?

What would you recommend?

These are my monitors if this even helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    DDR3? Who are you Fred Flintstone? I vote for a completely new build. Do it coward! You won’t
    I'm wrapping up a build for my living room using an I5-3550 and crossfire R9 380s!

Omni, I am heading out for awhile but can for sure help if you would like. After a lot of buying and trying I'm of the opinion to pick some great monitors and build around that.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I would recommend getting Windows 10. You can get a cheap key on eBay, Kalmaldo has done it before. If you have an old Windows 7 key you can still get it to upgrade to Windows 10 with the right procedure. I don't know if you can do it with Windows 8.

AMD is cheaper and more value for the money, but Intel has higher single core max boosts which is more important for peak gaming performance. I THINK for running multiple instances of FFXI plus a third game that more cores would be more valuable than single core higher speed. I also don't think higher clock speeds are going to do anything for games this old and if you are on IPS monitors you probably aren't looking for 120+ fps anyway, so I would recommend Ryzen for sure.

Your MOBO depends on which platform you choose, but I generally really like Asus. The biggest thing is that you want a board with healthy RAM compatibility. Especially with AMD, you might not be able to get RAM to run at the advertised XMP speeds if it's not on the QVL. You can tinker with timings manually (there is a calculator to do it), but if you want a painless experience you want to find a board and a RAM that is verified to work. If you want to overclock (either now, or in the future to extend the viability of your equipment) then you want to get a board with good VRM. I use a Gigabyte Aorus in my Ryzen build and I like it even though learning to overclock with offsets rather than hard numbers was a PITA. The premium versions of this board have good VRM, the budget ones don't. I had to manually clock my RAM.

RAM manufacturer matters less than you would think; it's the memory chip maker that is going to determine how fast the RAM runs and how high it can be overclocked. Samsung B-die RAM is the best and RAM modules with B-die cost more as a result. If you don't care about that, just look for a good speed with as low of timings as your budget can stomach. 16GB and 3600MHz is a good speed to aim for.

You could get by with a cheaper card like a B-stock EVGA 980Ti, but if you want to future proof then you might want to make the investment in an 1600 or 2000 line card. FPS tend not to be very demanding as a genre, and GPUs are easy to swap in if you find future need so this would be the one place where you can go with a holdover option.

BG Level

got new Mobo/CPU/RAM combo up and running, managed to OC a 9600K to 5.1ghz and got the girl stable and coolish, grabbing +20-25 FPS in Warhammer II maxed. Intel is doing some very strange fucking things with their company but they still p easily make the best gaming CPUs on the market.

also snagged the 500gb Samsung SSD you posted the other day Gred good looking out. cheap as hell way to double storage.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I would recommend getting Windows 10. You can get a cheap key on eBay, Kalmaldo has done it before. If you have an old Windows 7 key you can still get it to upgrade to Windows 10 with the right procedure. I don't know if you can do it with Windows 8.

AMD is cheaper and more value for the money, but Intel has higher single core max boosts which is more important for peak gaming performance. I THINK for running multiple instances of FFXI plus a third game that more cores would be more valuable than single core higher speed. I also don't think higher clock speeds are going to do anything for games this old and if you are on IPS monitors you probably aren't looking for 120+ fps anyway, so I would recommend Ryzen for sure.

Your MOBO depends on which platform you choose, but I generally really like Asus. The biggest thing is that you want a board with healthy RAM compatibility. Especially with AMD, you might not be able to get RAM to run at the advertised XMP speeds if it's not on the QVL. You can tinker with timings manually (there is a calculator to do it), but if you want a painless experience you want to find a board and a RAM that is verified to work. If you want to overclock (either now, or in the future to extend the viability of your equipment) then you want to get a board with good VRM. I use a Gigabyte Aorus in my Ryzen build and I like it even though learning to overclock with offsets rather than hard numbers was a PITA. The premium versions of this board have good VRM, the budget ones don't. I had to manually clock my RAM.

RAM manufacturer matters less than you would think; it's the memory chip maker that is going to determine how fast the RAM runs and how high it can be overclocked. Samsung B-die RAM is the best and RAM modules with B-die cost more as a result. If you don't care about that, just look for a good speed with as low of timings as your budget can stomach. 16GB and 3600MHz is a good speed to aim for.

You could get by with a cheaper card like a B-stock EVGA 980Ti, but if you want to future proof then you might want to make the investment in an 1600 or 2000 line card. FPS tend not to be very demanding as a genre, and GPUs are easy to swap in if you find future need so this would be the one place where you can go with a holdover option.
    What would you recommend for a $750-$1,000 build?

What I don't need:

Mouse
    Keyboard
    Monitors

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Thoughts on this build?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jDvqmg

Fully open to other ideas

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

The parts used in that build are fine, but the prices are not, especially that power supply. That same unit goes on sale (or did) regularly for $40 after rebate. I love using pcpartspicker.com for listing my build and getting ideas. Unfortunately their prices can sometimes not be exactly spot on and of course there isn't a way to know if there is a deal happening at the present time.

Tonight at 3 AM EST (or 12 PST) the EVGA B-stock sale will/should start. The ideal GPU is the 980 TI for $100-$150. I think a 1080 was $160 or something once or twice. That's going to be scarce and nothing to bank on. As Toki has bought, the 1070/TI can also be had at a great price.

If you play with headphones 100% of the time, PC is far enough away you never hear it, or the noise wouldn't bother you, right now you can get a VisionTek RX 5700 reference model for $280 shipped. Best bang for your buck right there no doubt. It's sold by Dell so it's safe. If you have a credit card that extends warranty I'd use that because I believe VisionTeks warranty is shorter than other companies. I've used VisionTek before and the only thing I noticed was they didn't seem to OC as good as your MSI, Asus, etc.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Thoughts on this build?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jDvqmg

Fully open to other ideas
    I think you either go cheap with the $80 1600 or upgrade to the 3600.

That board is fine if you don't want to OC but if you do then it's not great.

Go dual channel for the RAM. Offhand the GSkill sniper series is ugly as hell but much faster for around the same price.

I recommend a faster premium SSD for a main drive. Crucial MX is good.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I think you either go cheap with the $80 1600 or upgrade to the 3600.

That board is fine if you don't want to OC but if you do then it's not great.

Go dual channel for the RAM. Offhand the GSkill sniper series is ugly as hell but much faster for around the same price.

I recommend a faster premium SSD for a main drive. Crucial MX is good.
    The Crucial MX on this website showed to be more expensive. My weakness is color, I love having some dumb as bright colors for my desktop which is why I am leaning towards this case and the memory.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNDTMc

This is what happens when you give me the remote to the TV, I can never make a decision, I choose things I probably don't need and I make it harder for everyone!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    The Crucial MX on this website showed to be more expensive. My weakness is color, I love having some dumb as bright colors for my desktop which is why I am leaning towards this case and the memory.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cNDTMc

This is what happens when you give me the remote to the TV, I can never make a decision, I choose things I probably don't need and I make it harder for everyone!
    The case is fine, but I agree with Gredival about the memory. I would recommend this item for only about $5 more. GSkill Ripjaws V 16gb 2x8gb DDR4-3600 f4-3600c16d-16gvkc I just bought this same kit for a R5 3600 and had no problem at all getting it to use the XMP profile's 3600MHz @ CL16.

I would however recommend getting an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler for the R5 3600 is a little anemic.
    My new build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9r8C8M

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Crucial and Samsung have better controllers and DRAM that improve speed and durability.

And I agree with a secondary cooler. They Cooler Master 212 Hyper is the cheap basic upgrade. The Scythe Mugen will be much better. Go Noctua if you want premium top of the line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Going to echo Gred and say to get a 3600 CPU and different RAM.

I'd also get a different GPU. Definitely check the EVGA B Stock sale, if the site is running. It may be slammed because of the holiday. I snagged a 1070 TI for $210 and a 980 TI for $100 just before Thanksgiving. Even the 980 TI should perform better than the GPU you chose.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The 3600 is on sale at Microcenter right now if you are near one...

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tm_name=iossmf

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

I hate hearing that! I am not...what I would give to be near one...

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd offer to buy and ship it for you but it's sold out at the one near me.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

And for me it's close to a 200 mile round trip so I only go when I'm making either mass purchases or it's a stupid good deal.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I can't do it this week, but maybe next week when work slows down after the holiday I can make a run to my local MC if you want to go that route.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Would you want the 980 TI I picked up the other week from EVGA B stock? I'll give it to you for cost + shipping if you're interested. I didn't even open it.

Edit: it's the EVGA 980 TI Gaming (not sc or acx or w/e). Was $108 with tax. It doesn't come in the original box because it's a b stock, but it's unopened.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Would you want the 980 TI I picked up the other week from EVGA B stock? I'll give it to you for cost + shipping if you're interested. I didn't even open it.

Edit: it's the EVGA 980 TI Gaming (not sc or acx or w/e). Was $108 with tax. It doesn't come in the original box because it's a b stock, but it's unopened.
    Isn’t that normally a $800 cArd?

Dude I’d feel way to bad taking that from you. You got a mega deal.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag