• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 108 of 220 FirstFirst ... 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 ... LastLast
    Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I use 1080p 240Hz 1ms, but that's because my focus is almost exclusively on competitive titles. While I can't say that I'm good enough for that split second difference in display to actually amount to a play, it definitely does feels smoother playing on 240Hz vs. my old 120Hz.

If you mostly play AAA, go with IPS.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

High end gaming aptops these days are going all the way up to 300hz, which is just crazy. Only game pushing that high where it matters would be CSGO and if you care that much you wouldn't be playing it on a laptop anyways.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Guys do I really want to replace my kraken x61. I gave AIO a try, it's garbage, I'm tired of fan and pump noise and I miss my noctua. Do I really want to drop $100 for a black d15, and go through the trouble of taking out and installing a cooler only without replacing anything else?

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Guys do I really want to replace my kraken x61. I gave AIO a try, it's garbage, I'm tired of fan and pump noise and I miss my noctua. Do I really want to drop $100 for a black d15, and go through the trouble of taking out and installing a cooler only without replacing anything else?
    Sounds like maybe the cooler is going bad and it's time for a RMA. I had to RMA two Corsair H60 AIO. They gave me a H80i GT as a replacement. I'm somewhat sensitive to noises and I do not hear anything out of the ordinary even with my case sitting about three feet from my right ear. As far as replacing it and installing an air cooler, MAN UP BUTTERCUP.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    Sounds like maybe the cooler is going bad and it's time for a RMA. I had to RMA two Corsair H60 AIO. They gave me a H80i GT as a replacement. I'm somewhat sensitive to noises and I do not hear anything out of the ordinary even with my case sitting about three feet from my right ear. As far as replacing it and installing an air cooler, MAN UP BUTTERCUP.
    It's a common problem with these they're basically just shit. If you Google x61 noise you get a ton of results. I remember having a Corsair that I also RMA'd forever ago. They all look cool but they aren't worth it, big air or big water or bust.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm honestly too scared to do a custom loop. My hands hurt after about 15-30 minutes of doing anything so I don't think I could do a good job. Doing small things on my current systems isn't fun anymore really because of how bad my hands hurt. If I was going to buy something new I'd most likely go with a Cryorig because of bang for your buck. I think there are enough tests out in the wild to show AIO cooling vs big air isn't that much of a difference performance wise so it's all about preference. I'm sure you are aware of that tho.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Yeah with aio having the addition of pump noise I'll be going back to air. I wanted to do a custom loop forever but when I learned it would still make too much noise for me I bowed out.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

Older AIOs were indeed trash, but a lot of the newer (expensive) ones have almost unnoticeable noise. The average noctua is worse in that department.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    Older AIOs were indeed trash, but a lot of the newer (expensive) ones have almost unnoticeable noise. The average noctua is worse in that department.
    For sure, but comparing the bigboy noctua it should pull ahead on noise at load vs any aio counterpart at the sacrifice of a few degrees.

BG Level

If you do not care about aesthetics, at all, then noctuas are fantastic. If you do...RIP.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

They make a black one now with some customizable colored plastics and cables! But the new NZXT cooler plates/pumps are really sick nothing compares really.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just used Noctua's NT-H2 paste for my laptop and that shit is working like absolute money, so they've got that going for them.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    They make a black one now with some customizable colored plastics and cables! But the new NZXT cooler plates/pumps are really sick nothing compares really.
    I was talking more along the lines of how big AF nonAIO/liquid CPU coolers are now. If the inside of my case is visible, there is a 0% chance one of these are getting used:

But yes, their brown fans are the ugliest shit on the PC market...and is so simple to fix.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Dang you were even nice and didn't post the dual fan setup lol.

Yeah they big and ugly as fuck but as I get older the more I want to go smaller and no tempered glass.

My next build will be an NZXT H1 for sure depending on it's noise levels when I'm ready to go in a year or two.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm currently using a Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG and don't see myself changing anytime soon. It fits my needs because of constantly adding drives. I can still add three more hard drives if I want and I think two more SSD. It's also big enough that if I wanted to try a custom loop I'd be comfortable working in it. While I love NZXT cases/products (used three in the past) I think I'd be looking at a Phanteks case if I was to go smaller just because I love the build quality so much.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cyn Dane
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Man, I can't hear any of the 5627857 fans in my NZXT or strapped to my 212 over my headphones.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Once Intel gets off of 14++++++++++++ or whatever we're up to now and AMD brings the 4000 series refinements of Ryzen to desktops we'll probably be able to scale back down on the size of cooling solutions.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My last real improvement would be upgrading all fans to PWM. Per HWMonitor mine run at roughly 1200 rpm constantly. It's not that it's loud really either. It just sounds like fans. Not unexpected with how close my case is to my head. But when a game, movie, etc is playing or if using headphones I can't hear a thing. That's really why I don't upgrade fans. That and the days of $5 after rebate quality fans are gone. I wonder how long these Thermaltake Riing fans will last.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I'm getting frustrated with my ASRock x370 Taichi. Had to clear cmos after trying to load the RAM's (Corsair Vengeance) XMP profile. I've never had luck getting the speed up to 3200, haven't messed with it in a couple of years, and loading the profile stopped the board from even posting. There are some very strong warnings out there *against* updating BIOS because it causes performance issues and other problems. So now I'm just disappointed.

Is there a recommended Ryzen RAM settings calculator? I'd really like to work on that somehow.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag