• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 220 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 ... LastLast
    Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Alot of newer GPUs have issues with FFXI. The "prime" PC you're talking about is because of that fact, where everything aside from XI will run fine, but it will be prone to constant crashing and other glitches. It was a bit of a hack job at release, and the issue is exacerbated on newer hardware.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DrClout View Post
    I have the hyper 212 and to this moment I haven't had a temp exceed 65°C on any core or even the package. Was like $30. Noise is low but noticeable but as I'm told if acoustics are a major for you, swap out the included fan and pick up a BeQuiet or matching Noctua (ugly bastards).

That setup looks cash though

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Cool thanks, i never heard of this one before. The reviews are topnotch going to get this today. The build is thanks to this thread setting it up for me, very happy to have the help from those that know what their doing.

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    You probably won't hear the cpu fan much above the gpu while gaming, though the founders edition blowers are actually really good on that end.

If you're worried about the weight of the heatsink, maybe get a case/mobo combo that lets the board sit flat instead of upright. You don't really need a full atx mobo/case unless you plan on using those extra pci slots; micro atx or itx would be fine if you can find something you like or with similar features (1080 is plenty powerful enough to not worry about sli, look at micro atx if you plan on it). Otherwise, the 212 evo is excellent for its price/weight (shop around, it's usually on sale somewhere).
    Yea i was thinking of finding a case that does this, have been looking around for decent brands/reviews.

Also just bought the Hyper 212. $30 is crazy cheap from what i was looking at earlier for the same effect.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm looking into getting a 4k TV/Monitor this year. I did research around this time last year and the year before and decided to hold off. I have 2 priorities. I'd like for it to be 60fps/4k ( I believe TVs have a problem with refresh rate?) and with a low latency mode for 1080 competitive gaming. Any other features I should be looking for?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So I have a mobo with a LGA2011 socket, but no designation that it will take a -v3 CPU.

Will this mobo: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1497938

take this CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

?

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I would not expect it to work, no. The last BIOS update for that board came out in December 2014, well more than a year before that CPU was released.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

So I upgraded my old PC a bit a while ago but I just got another hefty raise so I think I'm going to go for a full rebuild now, with some of the new components. Need thoughts/opinions

i7-6700k
    Corsair H50 (not planning on overclocking much, maybe up to 4.2ghz. Cooler temps lengthen lifespan though). Maybe an air cooler? But the case I have has a window so I think a horizontal mounted cooler (Hyper 212 EVO) would look stupid. Maybe a vertical mount like the GeminII series? Vortex Plus? halp
    No idea for a motherboard. Suggestions? ASUS Z170?
    G.Skill ripjaws/Ballistix/Corsair DDR4 Ram 2x8gb
    Crucial MX300 525gb SSD
    Will probably just reformat my old hard drive for a 750GB HDD after new install
    Case - Rosewill Stryker M (got it for $25 from newegg), and bought a few Antec truequiet 140mm for top exhaust or possibly to temp replace the front installed blue LED ones
    PSU - RM550x Gold rated (new part installed in old PC)
    GPU - GTX 1070 AMP edition (installed in old PC)

I've swapped out plenty of parts but never actually did a ground up build before. Any tips/pointers/ideas or issues you see with what I'm planning?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I like the Z170

I got the MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170-A Pro) and it's pretty awesome.

Everything else looks good. I like the Hyper 212 EVO personally but you can certainly go a different route.

Toss it all into partpicker for any other possible conflicts.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

M.2 PCIe (NVMe) SSD's are a huge step up over anything previous. Just FYI. Also, both Kaby Lake (Intel) and Zen (AMD) are right around the corner, with Zen expected to bring (some) balance to the Force.

It might be worth waiting a short time to do a full rebuild.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    M.2 PCIe (NVMe) SSD's are a huge step up over anything previous. Just FYI. Also, both Kaby Lake (Intel) and Zen (AMD) are right around the corner, with Zen expected to bring (some) balance to the Force.

It might be worth waiting a short time to do a full rebuild.

Any suggestions for the SSD? And will the Kaby Lake chipset still be LG1151 socket or do I need to wait for appropriate motherboards to be released with it? And I'm assuming DDR4 ram still

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The SSD you selected is fine. Without knowing what you're doing, I'll say you won't notice the higher end read/write speeds with higher tier SSDs. M.2 SSDs are very nice, pricey, and newer. Not all boards support them but they are great when it's available. I'd definitely wait though as Arkanna mentioned, newer equipment is almost here and that also means older equipment prices' will drop.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Squah View Post
    Any suggestions for the SSD? And will the Kaby Lake chipset still be LG1151 socket or do I need to wait for appropriate motherboards to be released with it? And I'm assuming DDR4 ram still
    SSD suggestion: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 - Coming 12/13/16. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147594

I got the 1TB Plextor version of that SSD when they were released and to say you won't notice a difference may or may not be true. It's not HUGELY different than my old SATA3 SSD's, but it is definitely faster. If you do end up getting an M.2 NVMe SSD like the one I linked, make sure the motherboard you get has a PCIe M.2 slot. This is important because there are also SATA M.2 slots, which will not support the drive's full potential.

Yes, Kaby Lake will still use DDR4 ram.

Kaby Lake will work fine in LGA1151 boards, but will likely require a BIOS update when Kaby Lake launches. This is not really an issue unless you go with a board from a company that's slow to update these things. The mainstream manufacturers (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc) should have a BIOS update ready at or before launch.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

SSD suggestion: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 - Coming 12/13/16. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147594
    I just rebuilt and I was strongly considering a M.2 but reading through the reviews it almost seemed like the technology was a little new (people were having compatibility issues or something). Looking at the speed on that thing though, maybe I should have gone that route after all. I did see something about M.2 not working in some configurations though. Something to do with either a sata configuration or pci-e configuration? Does that sound right at all?

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I don't think there should be any kind of problems if you're using a pci-e one in a mobo with proper support. It is relatively new tech, but it's been all ironed out with recent hardware.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

SSD's are gonna get expensive for a bit.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/31470...ets-tight.html

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    I just rebuilt and I was strongly considering a M.2 but reading through the reviews it almost seemed like the technology was a little new (people were having compatibility issues or something). Looking at the speed on that thing though, maybe I should have gone that route after all. I did see something about M.2 not working in some configurations though. Something to do with either a sata configuration or pci-e configuration? Does that sound right at all?
    The only thing I've heard about NVMe SSD's is that it can be tough to get versions of Windows that pre-date 10, installed onto them. Like, it's a pain in the ass where you have to embed drivers in your install media and modify text files, that sort of thing. I've had no issues with mine at all.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Which is not an issue in the slightest if you come crawling out of the stone age and just use 10.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    Which is not an issue in the slightest if you come crawling out of the stone age and just use 10.
    As a user of 10, I agree

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post

That makes me happy i bought my SSD during black friday.

I still think price wont spike too much with all the competition out there

For example i bought this one (480 GB) on black friday in 86.99$ :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one 750 GB was on black friday in 99$ (which lasted like 10 minutes before soldout lol):

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300...ds=crucial+750

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post

Shit I better get another then...

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

The only thing I've heard about NVMe SSD's is that it can be tough to get versions of Windows that pre-date 10, installed onto them. Like, it's a pain in the ass where you have to embed drivers in your install media and modify text files, that sort of thing. I've had no issues with mine at all.
    I have a fresh install of Windows 10 so this won't be an issue for me. Maybe I will pick up the 960 then. Not like I have much to reinstall at this point...

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag