• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 219 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 76 116 ... LastLast
    The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    I built a Ryzen 7 1700 system and I love it. Overclocked it to 3800 out of the box, stock cooler, no additional voltage and it's super-solid. The only thing with it was, I had to immediately update the BIOS when I first got it to even get it to boot to a Windows 10 installation USB drive. Without the BIOS flash, it kept blue-screening as soon as Windows would try to start up (but at different points, making it feel like a stability problem vs. any other problem).

So if you do go Ryzen, make sure you have a USB drive with the motherboard's latest BIOS file on it, as well as any flashing utilities you would need.
    did this happen because you OC'd? I can't picture a universe in which I ever OC my computer because I don't know fuckin dick about computers

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    did this happen because you OC'd? I can't picture a universe in which I ever OC my computer because I don't know fuckin dick about computers
    No it's just some of the Ryzen boards since this is sort of the first wave still. However, I do that with every new build I do just so things are up to date. I didn't know anything about computers when I started but I researched to learn and it's been very helpful. Overclocking is nice because you're basically extracting the cpu and gpu to it's full potential. I've done it on every CPU I've used. While it's different with every build, I specifically will use AMD FX-8320e processors for super budget builds. Stock vs. CPU OC I've seen as much as a 40% increase in FPS for certain games.

As always I'm here to help in any way I can. Just ask.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    What Kal said.

You don't properly OC until after your operating system is installed and all your drivers are installed/up to date anyway.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Anyone do a recent build?

Friend wants to spend 1200-2000 on his first desktop I'll build him. Gonna do Intel, and he needs a monitor so I'm gonna push 144hz 1440p probably. Maybe 4k. Think he plays a little overwatch, a drop of wow, and mostly triple A games. He's the buy what's new, every version of call of duty and mains an Xbox type.

Spitballing from my phone right now so haven't messed around too much on part picker.

Don't think I need to do a 1080, but this being something that won't be replaced forever, 1070ti might fit the bill. No overclockong, as Future proof as possible. Probably a couple accessories like a keyboard and mouse in final build but itll prob be a deathadder and whatever but there's $100 of the final cost. His first and only PC gaming experience has been on an MSI laptop since he's an xboxer.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'd say 144hz 1440p definitely calls for a 1080 or better.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yeah 1080 at bare minimum. If only gaming, do an I5 Kaby Lake and spend the extra on the GPU. Below is a rough draft. Better prices on some parts surely can be found.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital - Green 240GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($82.33 @ Newegg Marketplace)
    Storage: Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.75 @ Other World Computing)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB DUKE OC Video Card ($739.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Inwin - 101 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Samsung - C32HG70 31.5" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($599.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2066.29
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-18 11:35 EST-0500

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I think he wants to fit a 144hz 1440p monitor into that $2000, Kal. Not going to happen imo.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    I think he wants to fit a 144hz 1440p monitor into that $2000, Kal. Not going to happen imo.
    There is a 144hz 1440P monitor in that build for a little over $2k?

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Ya. It's the last line.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

If it were this time last year I could have posted the current monitor I'm using, 1440p 144hz 32" 1ms for $349. They stopped selling it on Amazon

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    There is a 144hz 1440P monitor in that build for a little over $2k?
    Ugh jesus christ. Long day... sorry

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

The only thing on that list I'd buy immediately is the power supply. A Seasonic fully modular for $40 after rebate is a great deal. The rest is pretty average and I'm sure buying things when on sale could net another $150-$300 in savings.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

maybe make the main SSD a tiny bit larger? Some of those triple A games are huge.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Main SSD is a boot drive. Primary apps would be there next to the OS and all others would be on other drives.

I understand you want to go Intel but a sneaky advantage/trend I'm seeing with AND boards is the inclusion of multiple M.2 slots allowing for direct SATA connection or dual NVME with any chip. May be worth looking into since NVME is a bit expensive but M.2 SATA is pretty comparable not to mention less cables to worry about.

My current rig has a basic bitch WD M.2, 1 Intel 800GB SSD and 1 WD 3TB standard drive. If I went Kabby Lake or AMD I'd damn sure have gotten a second M.2.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I know some of ya'll are Intel onry, but this deal right here is bananas. Ryzen R5 1600 with B350 board for only $189.99. Need a promo code so if ya'll aren't signed up for frys emails do it now. Some other really good deals in there. I'm snagging that LG 21" 1080p monitor for $57 and those cheapo 2.1 pc speakers for $10 for my office.

http://images.frys.com/art/email/112..._web.html#set1

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

So okay. My brother saw World of Final Fantasy on Steam and said WANT! since he's heard me rave about the game. The problem is well, his pc can't handle it, so he's staring down a upgrade first.

He's basically got a budget pc and I know he needs a more RAM and a vid card (he'd been running off the onboard for ages; he always meant to modify it), also he prolly needs a new powersupply just to be able to run said vid card. (This is at the very least.) This is his mb, and here's the Speccy on it. I hope he won't need a total rebuild, that mb is a little old and so is the processor, but hopefully it'll run the RPGs and adventure games he likes to play with a few upgrades. I was going to suggest to him to get the same video card I got (a Geforce 1060 6 GB) if it'll take it. Any suggestions on parts guys for a guy who is on a budget? Oh and if you guys go EWW disgusting, needs a total rebuild, the budget for that would be $1k, including a wireless network card, which I see is cheap from Fry's. We can get a Win 10 key np though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    So okay. My brother saw World of Final Fantasy on Steam and said WANT! since he's heard me rave about the game. The problem is well, his pc can't handle it, so he's staring down a upgrade first.

He's basically got a budget pc and I know he needs a more RAM and a vid card (he'd been running off the onboard for ages; he always meant to modify it), also he prolly needs a new powersupply just to be able to run said vid card. (This is at the very least.) This is his mb, and here's the Speccy on it. I hope he won't need a total rebuild, that mb is a little old and so is the processor, but hopefully it'll run the RPGs and adventure games he likes to play with a few upgrades. I was going to suggest to him to get the same video card I got (a Geforce 1060 6 GB) if it'll take it. Any suggestions on parts guys for a guy who is on a budget? Oh and if you guys go EWW disgusting, needs a total rebuild, the budget for that would be $1k, including a wireless network card, which I see is cheap from Fry's. We can get a Win 10 key np though.
    If it was AM3+ then yes I'd say do newer parts. But that socket is old and tired. Below's build is a sketch. The cpu/mb is from this sale happening on Friday, which can be bought online. The Wraith Spire is perfectly fine for a cooler. GPU can take advantage right now from Newegg's $25 off $200+ when checking out with MasterPass. Case is for price point. PSU could be had for cheaper. Ram, doubt it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($0.00)
    Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.77 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SSC GAMING Video Card ($235.00)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $791.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-22 18:23 EST-0500

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Shit if that's his budget he might as well just build a new rig. He can probably save his HDD and maybe a part or two. Honestly, that mobo isn't worth throwing a 1060 in just cause it won't be able to use it to it's fullest with those speeds although someone might argue for a budget pc you could deal with it for the cost of not having to buy a new mobo and everything to go with it. Guess that's the decision really, assuming the card even fits on that mobo with the space in the case (and assuming you dont need to change the PSU), is it worth it for your bro to spend an extra like...$500ish to just upgrade everything else and be able to run all his hentai at max settings?

edit: or just do what Kal priced out. Honestly, that's a great bang for your buck. You can't really add to that list without bumping up the price of each part at least $100 unless you want an extra fancy case or PSU that lights up and sings Happy Birthday lol.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

If I had a budget of $1K right this minute I'd buy a 1080 because that will crush games at 1080p for a long period of time, try and get that 1600/mb deal, and then patiently buy the rest at lower prices.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

He's saying right now he wants to put a bandaid on it (more ram, better video card; I have my old one which might work) but I think ultimately he WILL have to rebuild, from what you guys are saying. He may have to wait until after Christmas though. Me, I'm holding off myself.

Let's just say Christmas is kicking his butt + new job.

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag