• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 219 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    He's saying right now he wants to put a bandaid on it (more ram, better video card; I have my old one which might work) but I think ultimately he WILL have to rebuild, from what you guys are saying. He may have to wait until after Christmas though. Me, I'm holding off myself.

Let's just say Christmas is kicking his butt + new job.
    Let's just say I got alot to do and not much money do it with. I'm trying to hold out while I buy a bed, my cellphone is trying to die and a few other things. I just cheaped out and ordered four more gigs of RAM for this band-aid I'm whipping up since I played alot of old games up until now(I got ty the Tasmanian tiger on steam sale and it was running like molasses). My sister upgraded her video card recently and I'm hoping her old one works on this lame old motherboard(she can probably elaborate). I swear when I built this thing oh so long ago I basically picked the wrong motherboard. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like having a few expansion card slots because USB just isn't the best for networking/wireless umong other things.

I don't feel like I wasted my money on the ram because once I rebuild this will just become the new Linux box replacing an old pentium 4 I've been fiddling with.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

welcome to the boards bro

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

So okay. My brother saw World of Final Fantasy on Steam and said WANT! since he's heard me rave about the game. The problem is well, his pc can't handle it, so he's staring down a upgrade first.

He's basically got a budget pc and I know he needs a more RAM and a vid card (he'd been running off the onboard for ages; he always meant to modify it), also he prolly needs a new powersupply just to be able to run said vid card. (This is at the very least.) This is his mb, and here's the Speccy on it. I hope he won't need a total rebuild, that mb is a little old and so is the processor, but hopefully it'll run the RPGs and adventure games he likes to play with a few upgrades. I was going to suggest to him to get the same video card I got (a Geforce 1060 6 GB) if it'll take it. Any suggestions on parts guys for a guy who is on a budget? Oh and if you guys go EWW disgusting, needs a total rebuild, the budget for that would be $1k, including a wireless network card, which I see is cheap from Fry's. We can get a Win 10 key np though.
    That thing is ancient (psst, if you can, you can see the name from the userdir folder in that link, assuming he gave it his real name). I wouldn't aim for trying to upgrade it as such, BUT, he can get components he can use in a later full new build, such as GPU, SSD and similar stuff. Put it in his current build for the purpose of using in a later system, and going from 4 to 8 GB of RAM shouldn't be crazy expensive. a new GPU, memory and a SSD will probably do good things for him. Depending on perspective, he could set the price tolerance for new components based on it's continued use in new build, which would affect recommendations.

Edit: I somehow missed the last page on my inferior settings, disregard I guess.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

https://slickdeals.net/f/10895359-cy...?src=catpagev2 is a pretty good deal if you don't want to part it together and care to potentially get a $400 vr headset for free (there's other, higher end systems the deal works with, won't last long though). Great price for a prebuilt, though the system is a little lesser in power than the parts Kal posted for not a whole lot less (disregarding derp vr headset).

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I know some of ya'll are Intel onry, but this deal right here is bananas. Ryzen R5 1600 with B350 board for only $189.99. Need a promo code so if ya'll aren't signed up for frys emails do it now. Some other really good deals in there. I'm snagging that LG 21" 1080p monitor for $57 and those cheapo 2.1 pc speakers for $10 for my office.

http://images.frys.com/art/email/112..._web.html#set1
    How do Fry's In Store Door Buster Vouchers work? Is it cattle call online at 6 to get the voucher then head off into the meele?

So okay. My brother saw World of Final Fantasy on Steam and said WANT! since he's heard me rave about the game. The problem is well, his pc can't handle it, so he's staring down a upgrade first.

He's basically got a budget pc and I know he needs a more RAM and a vid card (he'd been running off the onboard for ages; he always meant to modify it), also he prolly needs a new powersupply just to be able to run said vid card. (This is at the very least.) This is his mb, and here's the Speccy on it. I hope he won't need a total rebuild, that mb is a little old and so is the processor, but hopefully it'll run the RPGs and adventure games he likes to play with a few upgrades. I was going to suggest to him to get the same video card I got (a Geforce 1060 6 GB) if it'll take it. Any suggestions on parts guys for a guy who is on a budget? Oh and if you guys go EWW disgusting, needs a total rebuild, the budget for that would be $1k, including a wireless network card, which I see is cheap from Fry's. We can get a Win 10 key np though.
    If he doesn't want to build, this is a good pre-built that just went live today.

Ryden 5 1400 - 8GB of DDR4 - RX 580 for $630.

You can go cheaper on the graphics card (560 goes down to $450)

EDIT: I missed the guy himself posting then Orintha beat me to posting this deal.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm not 100 on how the voucher will work for the doorbusters. I'll be finding out tomorrow myself. Hoping the email code works.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

https://slickdeals.net/f/10895495-de...?src=catpagev2

$700 ryzen7 1700x, amd 580 8gb card, 8gb ddr4 ram, 1tb hdd. Uses a slickdeals main-in rebate to knock off $150 on normal price (normally $850). Meh parts on it are the lower speed ram and no ssd, but pretty decent deal as is if you want to deal with a slow mail-in rebate.

add: seems to be part of a general dell purchase rebate: https://slickdeals.net/f/10885807-sl...99-99-free-s-h that's going on for this week.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

FYI, it seems to be a great time to buy anything AMD. Even their 1950X is dropped $200. 18c/36t for $800 is savage for work-a-holics

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Having an overclocked R7 1700 right now, and being very happy with it, I'd actually consider building a Threadripper box if I had any way to justify it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    Having an overclocked R7 1700 right now, and being very happy with it, I'd actually consider building a Threadripper box if I had any way to justify it.
    The mental gymnastics going on in my head are awe inspiring and world peace creating... that said, still finding it hard after just building an itx system and buying a house.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Sell the house. Build Threadripper.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

So my bf and I want to build a new gaming pc. Right now I'm thinking to focus on a long-term use for the mobo/cpu infrastructure to last for the next 4 years while the gpu, ram, hdd/sdd, etc be left to be good but upgradeable for the future. He does some light pc gaming like WoW, and I mainly want it to play any higher end games that can't be played on consoles, as well as to play any eventual Elder Scrolls 6 someday (however yes I know those games are typically never created to be top tier AAA game engines). Thinking the budget is around $800. I've put some time into looking at parts but I'm so busy and tired after work it feels overwhelming and I've never actually put together a PC before. Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Should I look around for Cyber Monday or are those sales mostly hype in contrast to any normal sale during the rest of the year?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynplaine View Post
    So my bf and I want to build a new gaming pc. Right now I'm thinking to focus on a long-term use for the mobo/cpu infrastructure to last for the next 4 years while the gpu, ram, hdd/sdd, etc be left to be good but upgradeable for the future. He does some light pc gaming like WoW, and I mainly want it to play any higher end games that can't be played on consoles, as well as to play any eventual Elder Scrolls 6 someday (however yes I know those games are typically never created to be top tier AAA game engines). Thinking the budget is around $800. I've put some time into looking at parts but I'm so busy and tired after work it feels overwhelming and I've never actually put together a PC before. Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Should I look around for Cyber Monday or are those sales mostly hype in contrast to any normal sale during the rest of the year?
    Look here: https://www.dealnews.com/c48/Computers/Desktops/ , https://www.techbargains.com/deal/44...l-cyber-monday , https://slickdeals.net/deals/compute...tnav_computers . Just a couple general deal sites looking for prebuilts. During big sale days like this, you can usually find prebuilts cheaper than piecing it together.

The risk of buying a bad part is pretty similar to a having a problem with a prebuilt nowadays, and lesser so for prebuilts made with off the shelf items (smaller companies like cyberpower tend to do this while dell/hp/lenovo tend to have custom parts even in their 'gaming' pcs).

You did miss out on a couple stellar deals I posted a couple days ago in this thread (a few posts above yours, it included an expensive vr headset for free) but there's still decent deals to be had. Look through dealnews.com , techbargains.com , and slickdeals.net for postings.

Daniel Rand
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I dont know if this is the right place but need some advice on laptop. I'm getting a new work laptop and I want to be able to do some light gaming on there nothing intensive - WoW max settings, ffxiv able to run without crashing and older steam games.

The thing is it has to be dell since I have an account there that I want to use. Any advice please, mainly asking if the alienware 17 or inspirion any good. I don;t care about price:

http://deals.dell.com/category/gamingpcs

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kainos View Post
    I dont know if this is the right place but need some advice on laptop. I'm getting a new work laptop and I want to be able to do some light gaming on there nothing intensive - WoW max settings, ffxiv able to run without crashing and older steam games.

The thing is it has to be dell since I have an account there that I want to use. Any advice please, mainly asking if the alienware 17 or inspirion any good. I don;t care about price:

If you want a gaming laptop and you are restricted to Dell, go with Alienware no question. The main issue with AW is price to value, but you said that price not an issue. Even the base models should handle WoW and XIV.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kainos View Post

Have a look at these, if they're still there anyway: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/43...e-outlet-deals . and be sure to look on slickdeals for any extra rebates or specials since dell likes to have them on there occasionally (I think there was like a $200 dell rebate some weeks back).

Pretty much anything with a 1050/1060 is gonna play your games, but unless that account gets you some bigger discounts, there's better deals out there if you're willing to look.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Hey all I need a $1200 build no accessories or monitor, case and components only. Nvidia and intel only. Friends fiance wants to build him a PC for Christmas but might only do a portion of it now like $600 now and $600 later and build it in stages taking parts from his old machine.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just depends how old the current parts are to determine whether to upgrade cpu+mobo+ram/etc first or gpu first.

If the cpu is somewhere between 2000-5000 series i5/i7, and the gfx card is like 400-700 series, go gfx upgrade - 1070(ti)/1080(ti). If gfx card is 970/980/980ti, and cpu is 2000-3000 series, go cpu upgrade first. Otherwise, list some specs or consult pcpartpicker to mess around with builds or see what others are doing. If any case, if there's no ssd, get an ssd. If there's an ssd already, maybe do a windows refresh, or dust out the pc, or get new case fans/oil them up. There's lots of links to deals sites here, so use them.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Looks like the only thing(s) I can recycle for the time are the PSU and maybe SSD/HDD, possibly a cooler.

Looking at something like https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mLN9hq

or one of these: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/VR8Tw...l-gaming-build or https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/zsfrx...l-gaming-build without the K cpu's

This thread is HUEG! You might want to consider creating a new thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag